Welcome to the digital world

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Welcome to the digital world

Postby noah's_arc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:24 pm

Well I've done it - I've gone all modern! I've chucked out all the slide film and bought a digital SLR... Not sure I'm convinced yet, but I'm sure I'll grow into it!! Plus that 1.6x conversion on all the lenses means I'll now have a fast 600mm lens - should be ideal for surf shots from the beach.

Now all I need is some sunshine and a trip to the beach!
noah's_arc

Postby mealy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:18 pm

How you finding it then m8 got any good shots to show us yet then?
By the sounds of it you bought Canon, good choice! :wink:
mealy

Postby noah's_arc » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:14 am

mealy - yep, went for the Canon, as all my lenses were Canon-fit, plus I reckon/have read reviews that Canon still have the edge over Nikon in the digital stakes.

I've only really taken photos for the sake of it so far, just to get the hang of the camera - steep learning curve with all this white balance and photoshop malarky!! Hopefully off snowboarding in a couple of weeks so will post a few shots for anyone interested...
noah's_arc

Postby djp_y2k » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:41 pm

In the same boat as we speak, but I'm not giving up on film altogether.

Still want to carry on with slide's and black and white. Just not as often.

Hoping it will save me a load of money on film and processing.

What digital slr did you go for out of interest?
djp_y2k

Postby mealy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:18 pm

Personally i've always used Canon, had the 300D but now i use the 20D.
The 20D handles sports alot easyer (9 frame buffer and 5fps). Though saying that the 300d is unbeatable for price.
At the end of the day, your photos will only be as good as the person taking them. :wink:
mealy

Postby noah's_arc » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:59 am

Yep, I went for the 20D too. Always like the look of the 10D but limited fps and buffer... And then they brought out the 20D - so I couldn't really say no!! Got the jpeg side of things pretty sorted now (I think) but want to start playing with RAW and see if it improves image quality - opinion seems to be split!
noah's_arc

Postby djp_y2k » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:09 am

Personally I prefer canon, have a eos 30 at the mo so it made sense to go for a canon digital slr.

Was also looking at the 20D but after been made redundant meant I couldnt afford one so just gone and bought a second hand 10D.

As you said the only thing I was worried about was the slow fps but it will do for now untill I can afford either the 20D.
djp_y2k

Postby swordie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:28 am

I'm more than happy with my pana-lumix FZ2. Ok it's only 2mp but the great 35-420 mm zoom lens [before thinking about digitalzoom- no thanks] - by Leica means that the image you capture is excellent. and as they say - GIGO.

Ok, so it's a compact, but neither was it £1500 with all the glass you need [actually it was £150]

8 x 10 prints are possible without too much photoshopping.

Would still use my pentax k1000 for rough and tough shoots though.
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby noah's_arc » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:51 am

djp_y2k - 10D's are still very well thought of, and I was very close to buying one on a couple of occassions - guess I was just suckered by the Canon new-model-marketing-push ;o) Loads of info on http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1019 loads and loads of posts, and a lot of whinging but there is some really helpful stuff if you search the archives. Oh, and the main site has a very good digital camera review section.

Swordie - my mate has a Nikon compact which produces really good results and think that is similar sized images (~2mega pixels or so). Much of the digital camera talk is of sensors and bigger image sizes etc and I think a lot of people are forgetting that image quality still has a lot to do with the quality of the lens. And Leica have had a bit of practise ;o)
noah's_arc

Postby swordie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:08 pm

yeah as I said GIGO.. garbage in, garbage out.
lets face it the soul of any camera is it's lens, and if you have a good one, capturing an undistorted, clear image, it's half the battle [which is why top end canon glass is so dear, i suppose].

Whilst knowing absolutely nothing about the capture of images digitally [no, don't bother explaining it :) ] I have read many of the comments on mp sizes on dozens of forums, and the general concensus among those who have been using digi-cameras for a long time is that merely increasing the amount of pixels does not a good camera make........ which is why I would argue that it takes two to make a good didi-cam.... a good camera maker who can put the optics together, and a good electronics maker who can do the capture.

If the pana-lumix I used had, say a praktica lens... then I would'nt have considered it, but it would still be ahead of some of those cameras out there with miniscule plastic lenses.
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:05 pm

was thinking about gettin one of the Canons as well as have slr lenses already, might do a trade in with my old camera at Jessops or something like that.
Ross

Postby mealy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:53 pm

Go for it you wont regret it!

DSLR prices have dropped loads within the last 12 months. If you dont want to spend a fortune i reckon you've got 3 choices-

A used Canon 10D (around £600)
A Nikon D70 (£740 inc lens)
Or the cheapest which is a Canon 300D (£539 inc lens)

Not sure how you will do trading in at Jessops though, same as anything when you px they offer you Jack shit! :roll:
mealy

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:01 am

done the px thing with them before as an ugrade so might be ok
Ross

Return to Surf Photography