Malaysian Surf Pool

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Malaysian Surf Pool

Postby u4d18 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:27 pm

I've been in Malaysia for most of february visting the in-laws. We stay in KL, so I don't get to surf for a month unless we head out to bali for a few days (which we didn't do this time....)

So I was reading a while ago about a surf pool in KL, turns out it's about 15-20 mins down the road from the in-laws house.

Great, I thought, get a surf every day for an hour on some guarenteed waves. Turns out they only crank up the waves at weekends and public holidays for 1 hour a day with a maximum of 10 surfers. Oh yeah, they also do bodyboarding for 1 hour as well, which is when I took the pictures...

Anyway, enough babbling here are the pics....

As you can see, carnage happens on most waves, especially when 10 people are surfing the same wave.

The best wave at the time was the left (one of the lifeguards told me some of the pumps weren't working so they couldn't create the waves breaking to the right). But I could take the right and surf right next to the wall, but the left was better.

The surf pool even has locals, though they are the coolest and nicest guys I've had the pleasure of surfing with.

There's a rota for the section on the left, otherwise it's just pile-up city. I was involved in a few as I stayed on the section and other people tried to catch the wave further in and then proceed to either go straight or fall over in front of me...

Still, it was good fun and a very easy wave to catch. The management force everyone to use soft-tops with very flexible fins (all mals), though the boards could really do with being replaced sooner rather than later... The wave doesn't get steep but there is a bit of speed to get things moving; I guess the longest ride is about 50-70m, but with dodging other people it feels alot shorter.... Also if I missed catching a wave cos someone was in the way then I felt a bit gutted, but at least I knew there would be another wave exactly 3 minutes later....
u4d18

Postby mealy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 pm

ah well at least you got some waves, bet its alot warmer compared to what your used too! :wink:

Nice pics
mealy

Postby MunkyBritches » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:27 am

I saw an article in a magazine a while ago where Taj Burrow and a few other pros went to that wave pool, they got a bit tired of catching the waves so started towing behind a jet skin directly at the waves and boosting some big airs, the photos looked pretty spectacular.
MunkyBritches

Postby u4d18 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:59 am

I can imagine that a tow in would be quite cool cos the wave travels fast but doesn't have a steep face, so a tow to get on the wave would allow some pretty good moves...

Oh yeah, the weather was roasting, about 33degs, but it's great to surf in those conditions. Just thinking about it now is making me feel tug of sadness at leaving... Still, next week looks good for up here so I'm not complaining.

At the moment the wind is howling straight from the North Pole... plenty of swell but it's white horse city...

Are you planning a trip up next weekend Munkey? Swell is looking ok....

Oh yeah, the Tempest surf shop down at the harbour is going to be running a surf compo on the easter weekend, first prize is a pyscho wetsuit I think...
u4d18

Return to Surf Photography