getting into photography

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

getting into photography

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:19 am

i want to get into surf photography, land shots only, and i was wonderin if any ppl had some info or recommendations for what cameras to use or what i should be looking for in a camera.

My price range is about £200 cos i dont wanna go all out straight away.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
hold her dash, or throw the three of us
sponger_boy

Postby JJason » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:41 am

Blatant plug... but you could do a lot worse than this. http://magicseaweed.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2800 Seriously, you'd be hard pushed to get more kit for your money than this. With enough settings and auto overides to make it as simple or complicated as you want.
JJason

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:01 am

tht is indeed a bargain, but one prob, its about £100 over me budget, i dont wanna be the guy with all the gear and no idea, cos i really have no idea, im readin up on photog at the mo', my sis did it at a-level so we got a fair few books on it
sponger_boy

Postby mealy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm

If i were you i'd try and find the extra 100 quid and get it. If you want to shoot surf then youve got to have as much zoom as possible. Not sure but sub 200 i think you'd struggle.
mealy

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:59 pm

see this is the kind of info i need
i aint got the money yet jjason but if you've still got the cam when i have i'll PM you.

Any more info on cams and photography for beginners would be much appreciated still.
sponger_boy

Postby mealy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Buy a good book and learn the basics on how your camera works ie apeture, film and shutter speeds and how to take a photograph ie composition, rule of thirds etc.
When you get a camera try not to use the idiot modes cause they will only restrict you in getting good photos.

With some digital cameras like DSLR's you need to do post processing (jazz it up). Its nothing new, film cameras have been doing it for years in the darkroom.
You could get Photoshop Elements pretty cheap now and its fairly easy to use.
Its all good fun. :wink:
mealy

Re: getting into photography

Postby bobbster » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:00 pm

sponger_boy wrote:i want to get into surf photography, land shots only, and i was wonderin if any ppl had some info or recommendations for what cameras to use or what i should be looking for in a camera.

My price range is about £200 cos i dont wanna go all out straight away.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hi you don't say if you want to go digital or film, to learn all the basics I think your better off with a film camera say an Olympus OM10 and manual adaptor and I would also suggest you get a sigma 400mm or 500mm telephoto to go with it. This should fall with in your budget and get you learning all the basics of photography. Naturally you will have to scour the 2nd hand market/papers/ ebay etc (its the system I started with so I know it works)

Good Luck- Bobbster http://www.bobsharplesphotography.co.uk
bobbster

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:23 pm

So would you guys say that film cameras still have value? I have a Pentax SLR with motorwind, 3 lenses, 2x adapter, flash gun, filters etc. I haven't used the kit for ages and am looking to sell it but have no idea of the value.
I had sort of assumed that Digital had superceeded film.
I know that some film makers prefer to use Cine` cameras because the colours are more vibrant, this stopped me ditching my cine` super8 for peanuts, does the same apply to film for stills?
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby sponger_boy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:20 pm

i think im gonna go digital, because of easy adjustments i can make to the pictures as i already have some experience using photoshop elements. Good news, my mother has said she would like a new camera and is willing to split the cost, like she's ever gonna get the chance to use it once i get my grubby little mitts on it.

Been reading up on different types of film (not that it matters seeing as im going digital) and i found a handy little simulator on the web that lets you test different focal seetings and stuff.
sponger_boy

Postby thedeadly » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:28 pm

yes - go digital - you can go out and take 300 pics and throw 295 of them away and it doesn't matter
thedeadly

Postby Shukiki » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:45 pm

I think im going to get into it as i can just nick my dads cam *he does wedding photography* he got shit loads of lenses, and its digital and very good, best thing is, it wont cost me anything!!! :lol:
Hossogor on the 26th aug -16sept
Shukiki

Postby jerseysurf » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 pm

i'd sure luv t see his face when you show him were uve been taken pics, if he likes doing weddings then i dnt think he would be the type of guy to like his professional kit to be taken to the beach, its a fact of life salt water F*@$k's things up. be very careful considering he needs it for his job.

take it easy 8)
jerseysurf

Postby Crystal Voyager » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:35 pm

Yeah thats a valid point as my 300D has some corrosion on the hot shoe mount and did get some sand in the 300mm zoom lens (Must have sneaked in through the breather hole) and I am quite careful as I need the camera to function well as it is my job. Sand is a real pain!
Crystal Voyager

Postby jerseysurf » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:38 pm

ha cool. aslo got a 300D have u done any firm ware updates on it as i was researchig it as apparently u can make jaut as good as the new 350D in some ways.
jerseysurf

Postby Crystal Voyager » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:45 pm

No I didnt bother in the end as the one main benefit was to allow the ISO setting to be increased to 3200. There was a few other enhancements but didnt think it was worth the risk as it wasnt an official firmware upgrade. The upgrade was to share some of the facilities of the 10D. The 350D has similar hardware to the 20D. The upgrade did not however increase the burst rate. I ended up getting a 20D and have to say I am more than happy with it. I think I might use the 300D for water shots, but as i like the 20 D so much I might well use that for both. Got to make a decision as cant afford a housing for both!
Crystal Voyager

Postby mealy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:16 pm

I used to have a 300D and their good little cameras but i dont reckon it would be much cop in the water. House the 20D and you will be able to use AI Servo.
mealy

Postby Crystal Voyager » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:39 pm

Yeah thats a good point, hows the SPL housing going? Did you get yours to take the battery grip or just the standard camera and do you fid the battery life OK. Does it let you use the built in flash and if so does it generate any bad internal reflections?
Crystal Voyager

Postby mealy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:07 pm

Yeah its really good, cant complain. With hindsight i would have made a couple changes - not have the EC control and have it replaced with a backfocusing button so you could use cfn. functions IF you wanted to AF ( the more i use MF the more i find it easyer). I think i would have a focal length adjuster on the port aswell.
You cant use the cameras in built flash in the housing and the flash attachment costs around $500. I didnt get one but i think its gotta be worth it for those dull days or as a fill in.
Battery life on the 20D is pretty good and i havnt had any problems yet.
The best move was getting the 10-22 efs to go with the housing. Pin sharp!! :)
mealy

Postby Matt H » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:01 am

Think I may get the flash attachment when Im feeling flush, think it will be a great asset when winter comes.
Matt H

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:51 pm

ive also been looking at the fuji finepix s7000, it only has a 6x optical zoom compared to the coolpix 5700's 8x. But as it is my first cam i dont want to go all out just in case i dont get to use it as much as i want..........sometimes i cant resist the urge to get in and surf, and taking pics of peoples awesome waves gets me all the more stoked.
sponger_boy

Postby ryan3 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:49 pm

This aint spam :)

Not really into photograph but I needed a housing for my ladys Sony L1 digital compact. Searched for ages and couldn't get one anywhere, eventually found one with these guys at half price. Quality.

http://www.photofactory.co.uk

Anyways, they maybe a decent store. So maybe check them out. :wink:
ryan3

Postby rob1984 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:12 pm

ive also been looking at the fuji finepix s7000

Ive got the Fuji s5500 which has a 10x optical zoom, 4 mpixels and quite a few manual options such as aperature and shutter speeds. Its not a pro's camera and wont get you in any glossy surf mags but if you want to take a quick few decent shots before you jump in for a surf its definatly worth considering. I got a fully guaranteed refurbished one off the Fuji site for a lot less than the full retail price.
rob1984

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:36 pm

ive got enough money now, so im on a serious lookout in shops and online for the best deals i can get.
sponger_boy

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:05 pm

If you know what model you want have a look on pricerunner for a list of cheap deals. Got a Cannon EOS 350D last week at well under the high street prices. If I manage to stay out of the water for long enough when the swell kicks in will get couple of photos up for you all :wink:
Ross

Postby JJason » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:53 am

I've still got the Nikon coolpix 5700 for sale, I'll drop the price to £250 for the lot if that helps.
http://magicseaweed.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2800
JJason

Postby surfrat » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:57 am

long story.....

my mate bought a jvc digital camcorder/camera for £130 of the back of a lorry and is skint and need to sell it. it comes with everything inc software

my computer is about 5 years old and slowly dying but i reckon the software should work on it......think it will anyone??

its got windows 2000 i think....not xp the one before that...maybe 98?? was a fast computer in its day but i can't remember the spec.

any thoughts......he's selling it for £40 so i though what the hell give it a bash!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby beyond » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:32 pm

quite often it can be the photographer and not the camera..u gotta have the eye for taking shots and u can do it with any camera..a lot of my best travel shots were taken with a no zoom point and shoot Chinon . Still for surf photography zoom lenses are all good..thanks to my sponsor Crystal Voyager i have a nice canon film SLR and a new 90-300mm lense. :)
take the long way round
beyond

Postby freerider » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:16 pm

40quid you cant go wrong!

when i get my arse in gear im gonna make a water proof housing for my video camera as it only cost 50quid i dont really care if it fucks up 8)
Are you fucking stupid?
freerider

Postby mealy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:53 pm

My first water housing was an old disk camera wrapped in a carrier bag with molten wax to keep it water resistant.
My current housing is just a tad better :P
mealy

Return to Surf Photography