Video Camera

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Video Camera

Postby kendonaga » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:48 pm

Ok I'm looking at getting a video camera soon. But don't have a clue which are best.....

I've been playing with my dad's old Hi8 recently and I think there pretty good especially now I've found how to get the footage on to a comp.
But then there's digital video cameras which look pretty cool. I've been looking around (mainly on ebay) and most there seem to be 3megapixels. I'm wondering what is really needed to play at a good ish quality full screen, I know how a stills camera would look at 3mp but would a digi one be the same?

I know there are loadsa other options thats why I'm asking, what would be best??
Here's basically what i want?
-Good quality (obviously)
-I'll be using it for editing on computer most of the time so somethign that will convert on to a comp without me having to pay too much more to do it.
-Around £200... Will I need to pay more for a decent cam.

Thats all I can think right now... Anyways any help apreciated on video cameras!!!!
kendonaga

Postby freerider » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:55 pm

yo man,

as far as i know those digital video cameras (the ones that use memory cards) are not really very good quality until you spend over around £500

i think your best getting a mini dv video camera. uses mini tapes. thats what ive got and its ace. great quality and good zoom. i got mine second hand from currys with a 1 year garentee (spell?) for £50.

so im gonna make a home made water proof housing.and then get some footage of the next msw express sesh :P

ebay is good, but what if it busts? or its nicked? or it never turns up?

keep an eye out on the internet for special deals from web sites..

im sure some one else on here will give you some better info :oops:
Are you fucking stupid?
freerider

Postby rob1984 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:32 pm

Freerider have you made some housing for your camera? Birthday coming up so im thinking about hinting for a cheapish camcorder to capture some north east winter action and would love to take it in the water. Had a look round the net at housing and the cheapest housing I could find was at http://www.epiccam.com/ looking at around £150. I know good proffesional housing costs £500+ but all i want is some thing cheap and basic to keep a cheap camcorder dry out back. Anyone any ideas? I had a look at the link on here somewhere on how to make your own. Anyone done it? Will it work?
rob1984

Postby test pilots bodyboarding » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:16 pm

ive made my own housing and it works great but the first time i used it it floaded with my cam in there lol but i didnt test it out be4 i put the cam in so its my own fault but ive sorted the seal out now and have sum sick ffotage that will be on my dvd thats coming out 4 xmas hopefully lol
test pilots bodyboarding

Postby test pilots bodyboarding » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:17 pm

oh it costs about £40 to make and if u want me to put a thing how to make it up just let me know
test pilots bodyboarding

Postby rob1984 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:22 pm

That would be great. Not sure whether to have a go at making my own or ive now found sony do a housing for thir mini dv cameras for about £120 new? Either way it will be great to get some seaweeders in action of the on video.
rob1984

Postby freerider » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:00 pm

well if i can fit my dv camera in a 110mm dranage pipe then ill be making my own very soon.
Are you fucking stupid?
freerider

Return to Surf Photography