Which waterproof point and shoot?

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Which waterproof point and shoot?

Postby the_stig » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 am

Morning all,

Im thinking about getting a waterproof/resistant camera for taking some shots in the water, and could do with some advice/pointers on which make and model to get.

It's just for a bit of fun so looking for a point and shoot, and not monumentally expensive. If anyone has an opinion on a good (or best avoided) cameras I would love to hear.

Thanks

Dan
the_stig

Re: Which waterproof point and shoot?

Postby Evil J Guano » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 am

I got a Panasonic Limix FT2 for Christmas… as a P&S it's fine does video too.
As with most P&S they are pretty useless in the winter with gloves as buttons are so small.
The rubber case it comes with has torn already but better off without it really.
I have a piece of shock cord tied to my xzip and then to camera, I stuff it into xzip flap, not the comfiest but works okay.
Small days only really.

I do lot's of post processing in Photoshop, images out of the camera are okay but nothing special.

Quick lick of the lens and a dunk will help stop droplets on the lens spoiling your shots.
Evil J Guano

Postby Chris152 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am

Olympus Mju (I think it has a new name now) is good for what it is, tucks into my wetsuit neck, v slim and v well built. But noisy in low light and terrible shutter lag for surf shots. This will apply to all auto compact cameras, I think.
Chris152

Postby Colinjames » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I am a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix, I currently have the TS3 though the TS4 is now available, I also like the Nikon AW100 it is a little bit cheaper than the Panasonic. To take my camera surfing I use and highly recommend the Wrist Pod by Golden Hour www.goldenhourcompany.com
Colinjames

Return to Surf Photography