Pics of waves from Oz trip.

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Pics of waves from Oz trip.

Postby roberdy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:13 am

So a bit of a duplicate post but they might be better here than falling off the bottom of the General forum.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Re: jetlag

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:16 pm

alright you buggers, here a few more shots, to be honest the only place it was proper good was at Johanna's down south, Marg's was mostly too big except for Indjinup car park which was perfect but got busy real quick.

Anyway;

Trigg Beach Perth

Random wave on Rottnest next to the lagoon we snorkelled in

Post scare at Yallingup, it was kinda sizey for a intermediate on a 6'0 board with no rocker...

Margs 1

Margs 2

Margs 3

Margs 4

Bells from the carpark, small and slack

Bells at zoom

Bells folks, the wife missed the couple of waves I got, she was too busy taking pics of seaweed!

The one to rule them all on tour! (that's the name of the board btw!)

The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm

few better shots of Bells;

The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Johanna's, looked small from a distance but by the time I walked about a half mile up the beach I realised it was more like chest to head with occasional solid head high waves coming through. I took these shots after I got out, tide was dropping as was the swell, it was very quiet there, only three other guys on the whole beach as far as I could see, two on another peak up the beach and the Aussie bloke whose peace I shattered when I paddled out and said "Ere Bey, whasson?" Got some lovely waves, seemed perfect for my board with SPeed Diallers in, fast and loose, top to bottom turns, Im not gonna claim I was ripping spray off the back of the waves but when you get a peak that is fast and steep and got some poke you can really try to push a bit harder and improve your moves!

The Janitor
roberdy

Re: Pics of waves from Oz trip.

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm

i reckon you owe me a corona for giving you the thumbs up on johanna pre trip nice score ... :lol: glad you didnt get totally skunked bells is fun that size scored it shitloads like that when living vico 88-93
mal-nourished

Postby swiggy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Nice pics! Trigg looks pretty fun in that pic, I thought it was an underrated waves, everybody who lives there talks about the city waves as being shit, but I thought trigg was a good quality punchy beachbreak..

Did you get good surf on rottnest? I'm trying to work out where that pic is, I surfed most of the waves on the island, that ones kind of hard to place with no real landmarks. Looks fun though, and theres nobody out!
swiggy

Postby Chris F » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 am

Any outcome from other reasons for making the trip? 8)
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 am

how you gonna mod the bun-fights with the time difference :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 pm

How did the new board hold up then? Is the special layer on top keeping the board dent free?
skimmer2

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm

swiggy wrote:Did you get good surf on rottnest? I'm trying to work out where that pic is, I surfed most of the waves on the island, that ones kind of hard to place with no real landmarks. Looks fun though, and theres nobody out!

Sorry been focussed on other things for a few days so missed this stuff! Swiggy, that wave is at Salmon bay, left hand end, we were snorkelling there for about 2 hours, it was lovely, nice little lagoon with a bit of a wave breaking there, not really surfable but looked nice at times. Good area inside the reef with some bits about 15ft deep, got some good GoPro footage from it but have yet to edit it up due to head being up arse for two weeks pretty much now! Might try to do it while I am in Denmark this weekend as there will be times with feck all to do!

There was a bit of a bombie in the middle fo the bay that woudl break on bigger sets, was flat at Trigg that morning but Rotto was overhead I reckon!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Chris F wrote:Any outcome from other reasons for making the trip? 8)

Had a good chat with an SE in Melbs and been scoping some work in Bris-vegas, not much to talk about yet as have to figure out exit strategy from current role that will keep all involved happy (could be tricky that one).

Been given an offer, sponsored 457 visa's for both me and the wife, relocation package and some support in terms of advice in finding somewhere to live no matter what bit of Oz we choose (if we choose to go). Lots of reasons to go and not that many to stay just heaps of logisitics to sort out first, not least the management!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:34 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Image

how you gonna mod the bun-fights with the time difference :lol: :lol:

ha, might give you lot a bit more rope before I come and lock things down :) did manage to still mod while I was away quite a bit, maybe I would have to hand off to someone else though eventually, how could I give it up? :lol: :lol:

Although I would be closer to Kayu and Roy, maybe that would be a good thing :P :P
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby swiggy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:22 am

roberdy wrote:
swiggy wrote:Did you get good surf on rottnest? I'm trying to work out where that pic is, I surfed most of the waves on the island, that ones kind of hard to place with no real landmarks. Looks fun though, and theres nobody out!

Sorry been focussed on other things for a few days so missed this stuff! Swiggy, that wave is at Salmon bay, left hand end, we were snorkelling there for about 2 hours, it was lovely, nice little lagoon with a bit of a wave breaking there, not really surfable but looked nice at times. Good area inside the reef with some bits about 15ft deep, got some good GoPro footage from it but have yet to edit it up due to head being up arse for two weeks pretty much now! Might try to do it while I am in Denmark this weekend as there will be times with feck all to do!

There was a bit of a bombie in the middle fo the bay that woudl break on bigger sets, was flat at Trigg that morning but Rotto was overhead I reckon!

Yeah, it gets a lot of swell out there. I never surfed salmon bay, but the west end of the island gets even more swell. Strickos is such a fun wave, if it looked like that at salmon it would have been overhead and cranking at strickos, its offshore in the same wind.. Did you go to that place? I never surfed the spots way out at the west end, cathedral rocks etc. because there was just too much swell, double overhead + closeouts.. I got some amazing waves on rottnest though, its an awesome place. I felt like sharkbait out there at times though, I was by myself too some mornings :shock: It was nice when a couple of people paddled out to join me, for some reason I felt totally safe then..
swiggy

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

roberdy wrote: not least the management!

Is that your management at home or work? :wink:

Sounds vaguely promising, I'm sure she could get a job pretty easily too. Do it while you still have no parental commitments!
Chris F

Postby roberdy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am

swiggy wrote:Yeah, it gets a lot of swell out there. I never surfed salmon bay, but the west end of the island gets even more swell. Strickos is such a fun wave, if it looked like that at salmon it would have been overhead and cranking at strickos, its offshore in the same wind.. Did you go to that place? I never surfed the spots way out at the west end, cathedral rocks etc. because there was just too much swell, double overhead + closeouts.. I got some amazing waves on rottnest though, its an awesome place. I felt like sharkbait out there at times though, I was by myself too some mornings :shock: It was nice when a couple of people paddled out to join me, for some reason I felt totally safe then..

Nah, didn't get along to Stricko's, we missed the times of the bus so ended up walking from Salmon up the lighthouse and then got the last bus back to the ferry jetty. COuld see Stricko's in the distance though, you could see lines breaking on it, got some images I will find and post tonight if I remember!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am

Chris F wrote:Is that your management at home or work? :wink:

Work mate, the home management has her bags packed already!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Finally edited up a bit of the GoPro footage I took while in Oz, this is the first of a couple of vids, snorkelling on Rottnest Island at Salmon Bay, lovely warm water, I didn't want to get out! I got a flat lens for my wrist mount GoPro housing, results are quite good! This is a HD movie about 450Mb in size so don't try this over a cheap 3G network unless you have loads of bandwidth!

https://vimeo.com/48036283
The Janitor
roberdy

Return to Surf Photography