Photography, test of morals

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Photography, test of morals

Postby lardyarse » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:39 pm

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. By giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally. The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which you will have to make a decision.

Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous. Please scroll down slowly and give due consideration to each line.

THE SITUATION

You are in New Orleans to be specific. There is chaos all around you caused by a hurricane with severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical proportions. You are a photo journalist working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster.

The situation is nearly hopeless. You're trying to shoot career-making photos. There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water! Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

THE TEST

Suddenly you see a man in the water. He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris. You move closer. Somehow the man looks familiar. You suddenly realize who it is. It's the President, George W. Bush.

At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under forever. You have two options- you can save the life of the President, or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the world's most famous men.

THE QUESTION

Here's the question, and please give an honest answer.......

Would you select high contrast colour film, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white?
lardyarse

Postby k mac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:59 pm

:lol:
k mac

Postby sponger_boy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:01 pm

dammit, i was all good and ready to scream and shout

"drown the bastard"
hold her dash, or throw the three of us
sponger_boy

Postby hedgemonkey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hedgemonkey

Postby RoyStewart » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:03 am

There must be some mistake, Bush is INFAMOUS.
RoyStewart

Postby swordie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:36 am

got to be B&W, preferablly shot on a leica rangefinder and printed in that grainy film-noir stylee of the 50's
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby Mattylmnop » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm

i'd go black and white definiately to give that timeless war reportage look. I would consider all aspects of composition, knowing that the right shot could make a wad of cash and i'd be the subject of a newspaper bidding war!
Mattylmnop

Postby roberdy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:53 pm

stuff taking phots of the bushes drowning, what about finding some of the waves the hurricanes is lashing across Florida???
roberdy

Return to Surf Photography