Home made housing ports?

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Home made housing ports?

Postby johnnyg30 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey,

Anyone ever made a port of their housing? I'm wanting to make one for a 50mm on an SPL housing.
Any advise or thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/johnnygriffithsphotography
http://www.johnnygriffithsphotography.com
johnnyg30

Re: Home made housing ports?

Postby ultradan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 am

I'd also be interested to know how/if it's possible to make ports for an SPL Housing, is there anyone in the UK that makes plexiglass ports? Surely there must be?
ultradan

Postby aninternalaffair » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Johnny the housing I sold you had a home made port for a 70-200mm. I got it when I bought it off Dan, who I think scouts around here sometimes. Pretty sure that was made up in Devon and was mega cheap compared to manufacturers prices.

Cheers

Alex
aninternalaffair

Postby djp_y2k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 am

Hey guys. The ports are really easy to get made. One of the benefits of that type of port system.

The guy who did mine (the one that Alex had, and now jonny by the sounds of it :-D ) is based just outside Exeter. Unfortunately he doesn't have a website and isnt the easiest to find contact number for.

Im sure if you have a scout through the yellow pages for plastic fabricators or even perspex suppliers etc you should find something.

Unless you live up near Exeter or can get here easy then I will happily show you where the guy is based, as I havent any other contact details for him anymore.

Price wise. DO NOT buy straight from the manufacture. Put it this way I walked away with a massive grin on my face and a whole load of cash in my wallet still.

I never did get round to trying my port out annoyingly. Would be great to see if it worked out for either of you guys. :-)

If you want any more info just send me a pm and I will help out as much as I can.
djp_y2k

Postby Zac Gibson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

where abouts outside of Exeter was it Dan? I have a 70-200 2.8 port but only an f4 lens, did the homemade one have zoom control ? wouldnt mind getting one sorted before I go on me next trip as it nice to have such a versatile lens in the water.
Zac Gibson

Postby johnnyg30 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Ive started making one for my 50mm and its going well, ill post the results when I'm finished.

Zac - The 70-200 f4 port i have doesn't have zoom control.

All of the non fisheye in-the-water shots are with the 70-200 port - www.facebook.com/johnnygriffithsphotography
johnnyg30

Postby djp_y2k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Zac Gibson wrote:where abouts outside of Exeter was it Dan? I have a 70-200 2.8 port but only an f4 lens, did the homemade one have zoom control ? wouldnt mind getting one sorted before I go on me next trip as it nice to have such a versatile lens in the water.

alrite zac. its just past darts farm on the left. not the easiest place to find. if you want showing where exactly just let me know. it didnt have any zoom controls. literally got it made as simple as possible to see how I would find using it, which i never did lol.
djp_y2k

Postby Zac Gibson » Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 am

djp_y2k wrote:
Zac Gibson wrote:where abouts outside of Exeter was it Dan? I have a 70-200 2.8 port but only an f4 lens, did the homemade one have zoom control ? wouldnt mind getting one sorted before I go on me next trip as it nice to have such a versatile lens in the water.

alrite zac. its just past darts farm on the left. not the easiest place to find. if you want showing where exactly just let me know. it didnt have any zoom controls. literally got it made as simple as possible to see how I would find using it, which i never did lol.

Yh I know where you mean will go and scout it out, shame bout not having zoom contols but wouldnt mind a flat port for my 17-40 to shoot some auto focus stuff in the water. Cheers mate
Zac Gibson

Postby ultradan » Fri May 24, 2013 5:48 am

Any further news on this topic? I am looking for a dome port for my SPL Housing and whilst I would send it to SPL I'd rather buy from the uk. Surely there is someone here that makes this kind of thing?

Cheers
ultradan

Postby djp_y2k » Tue May 28, 2013 8:08 pm

you can buy the dome section from companies, or have one specially made. You would then need to take it to someone like I went to to get the rest made and all put together.
djp_y2k

Return to Surf Photography