Which Dslr?

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

Which Dslr?

Postby Callum98 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 pm

I all i am looking to start out surf photography (from the beach) i need an DSLR, my budget is around 350 quid, does anyone know of one? I would probably need a long lens as i would be also doing some windsurf photography, does anyone have a camera for sale or know of one?
Thanks Callum :)
Callum is my name, nosediving is my game :)
Callum98

Re: Which Dslr?

Postby Callum98 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm

(Update) Ive been thinking of a Nikon D3200 or D3100 or D5100, it also turns out my dad has an old slr and a 300mm lense and a 80mm however there is no auto focus built into the lenses.... manual focus cant be that bad right?
Callum98

Postby Chris F » Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 am

For surfing you should be fine with MF once you are used to it. A tripod will be useful to free up both hands (worth getting one anyway). Good as a stopgap anyway, take the initial sting out of it until you can afford one of your own.
Chris F

Postby Callum98 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Ok so shall i go for the 3200
Thanks Callum
Callum98

Postby Black » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Erm, I'm sure you know different makes have different lens mounts, you don't say the 300mm is Nikon that's all. Also check they are backwardly compatible!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris152 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Option 1: Why not just use the old (film?) SLR with 300mm, and see how you get on?

Manual focus is fine - from the shore, surfers don't move toward you so quickly. Use small aperture (high f-stop number) and yu'll get good depth of field.

Maybe even try b&w film and process it yourself, then scan the film? You'll learn a lot, and keep costs low. That said, I can't be arsed with all that myself.

Option 2: Look out for a used DSLR kit with a longer lens. Old ones must be pretty cheap by now. The advantage is that you get to shoot for free once you've paid for the kit. Canon 350/ 400D, maybe? I don't know anything about Nikon, except that they're mentioned in a Paul Simon song. In fact, I may have that wrong...
Chris152

Postby ultradan » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Eh???? " You'll learn a lot, and keep costs low" - are you joking? how will you learn lot and keep costs low? You will have approx 36 shots per roll @£10 a roll (inc) processing, you will have to wait to see if your shots are coming out correctly and a typical couple of hours at the beach would end up costing you £££'S of pounds.

Sorry but for someone looking to get into photography a cheap DSLR such as the digital rebels or Nikon equivalent with the kit lens and a tripod will get you started and the learning curve will be way more forgiving imo.
ultradan

Postby ultradan » Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Personally I'd go for an Eos 550d & a ef 75-300

Check out this place, I have not used them personally so do some reviewing online.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-e ... ?viewall=1
ultradan

Postby Chris152 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 pm

ultradan - I wasn't joking.

Callum has an old slr which I'm assuming is film. B&w films are about £3.50, way less if you buy larger rolls and put into cassettes yourself. Process yourself and scan, and it's cheap compared to buying a decent dslr with long lens. And you learn lots about photography compared to pressing the button with a fully auto dslr.

Take loads of shots with dslr, and learn jack shit. just bang away til you get a good one. it's not that hard these days. or limit and select shots more carefully, and learn when to press the button. film forces you to do this.

I use dslr nearly always, though i like the feel of film. but one thing's for sure - unless you slow things down and force yourself to think about what your doing, you'll just produce the same clichéd, boring images of surf that we see so much of the time.

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve really.
Chris152

Postby ultradan » Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 am

Firstly, why is he going to want to shoot in B&W?

Secondly he'd need to have the ability to process the film rolls himself - easy? I dunno as I have no idea how to do it myself, but I'm presuming you need a dark room.

Thirdly he's then need to buy a scanner?!?!

Surely buying a DSLR would be the "easier" option?
ultradan

Postby Callum98 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 am

Hmm in heading down to Bewl (were my brother windsurfs) mabye i will snap some shots with his slr, but the only problem is i will not just be doing surf photography i will be doing close ups, portraits and videos. So i will try the slr see how it goes, it all depends wether i get into it im not gonna buy a camera if im not going to use it am I :-)
Thanks for all of you help Callum
Callum98

Postby Chris F » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 am

Black wrote:Erm, I'm sure you know different makes have different lens mounts, you don't say the 300mm is Nikon that's all. Also check they are backwardly compatible!

Good point, I assumed it was Nikon. As far as I know all "relatively" recent Nikon lenses are interchangeable between bodies.

And Chris 152, you are nuts. Processing yourself is not easy in B & W, and a lot harder in colour unless you know exactly what you are doing, or have access to someone who does. You will most likely have sod all to show for your efforts and have outlayed stacks in chemicals and equipment. If you use your brain you can learn as much from using a DSLR as any other camera.
Chris F

Postby Chris152 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Apologies for writing Option 1, Callum. It's clearly not an option.

In fact, I'm going down to the beach right now to chuck my film cameras into the water - maybe some hermit crabs can make good use of them as shells. And then I'll sell off my b&w developing tank and remaining chemicals, invest the money I get for it and retire on the income it produces.
Chris152

Postby Chris F » Wed May 15, 2013 12:59 pm

ooh handbag. :roll:

I can see if you have all the kit and knowledge already it's worthwhile, but if you are starting fresh with no kit or knowledge, going down the traditional film route, IMO, is not really the best option.

And if you have all the kit why did you make the

That said, I can't be arsed with all that myself.

comment in the first place?
Chris F

Postby Callum98 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Battle of the Chris's :-)
Callum98

Postby Chris F » Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 am

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE! ! :twisted:
Chris F

Return to Surf Photography