longboard fin advice?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

longboard fin advice?

Postby matt_96 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi all,

just got my first performance nose rider longboard, 9'2 x 22 1/2 x 2 3/4

I weigh 9 stone 6 and I am 15 years old, I was just wondering what fin would you recommend me using based on weight etc.

I would like the board to be very manouverable but still be able to nose ride a little.

Any advice would be great! :D
matt_96

Re: longboard fin advice?

Postby flacky » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 pm

What's the board? Tail shape? Similar dims to my old Local Hero, I went with a 8" norm flex or finger flex with gl sidebites.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby matt_96 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:16 pm

board is a viking performance nose rider with a squash tail
matt_96

Postby flacky » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 pm

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Fluid-Foi ... Item/1803/

Probably a good starter. Fins can be personal, what works for one may not for another, depends how hard you push through turns, how laid back your style is,

I liked the above one. Found it held well enough, but was loose enough. I don't like super raked fins, a lot do, but i find they slow my turns too much.

Have fun!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm

^^ Ditto on what flack says - good advice there

Do you know the width of the tail? (I'm guessing it's a single fin rather than 2+1?) - depending on the type of turns you wish to perform / vs' how much hold you need. i generally tend to ride noseriders with some kind of pvot fin, like a Nineplus pivot - but for your build / looseness i would go with a Velzy Noserider as it has less volume.

If you don't need the drive but something that offers little resistance and still good hold then something like a Skip Frye flex would do you.

I'm down with flacky on the whole 'raked' thing - generally don't like something too raked for noseriding - tho saying that I've found the Wayne Rich 3, which is a lot of fin - has a massive base, big rake - is great at noseriding, turning and drive

One thing I would say is don't 'Over fin' your board - a lot of peeps think by wanging some big ten incher in there (oo er missus) that it'll be great for noseriding. Basically you fin size needs to be calculated on the length of the board and the width of the tail. The narrower the tail the less fin (height wise) you need - due to the distance between the apex of the fin and the rail. At your size and the boards size, you're not going to need a fin much (if anything) over 9"

Hope that helps chap :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby matt_96 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Thank you very much for your advice guys.

I was thinking about getting a futures cutaway fin to use in a 2+1 setup on this board. What are your thoughts on this fin?

The fin is only £20 so I thought I'd buy one and give it a try!
matt_96

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

A cutaway is ok on a 2+1 set-up - but I would say that fin set-up is not the best for out and out noseriding tho should do you fine for general all round surfing.

At your weight and build tho chap you should have no trouble getting up front on a big old log - if you want it manouverable then a 2+1 with cutawy will do you right (I tend to prefer a single fin myslef)

I'm guessing you have a board like this? http://www.a1surf.com/classifieds/92-viking-nose-rider-280/classifiedid/4884/showclassified.aspx

If so, may be worth considering a fin like this Wingnut - will provide hold for noseriding and be plenty loose enough for turning and can be used single or 2+1

http://www.finshack.com/Fin%20Pages/Rainbow%20Fin%20Company/rainbowwingnutcu.html

Best thing to do is just get in there, get used to the board, then play around with fins after you have the board dialled - and enjoy it! :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm

You've just discovered my ... "whatever it is i mean"... I can't stand them fins, or squirrels... yuk
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chai Wallah » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Griff and flacky ~ you two boys are sailing to close to comfort, yesterday I found out that flacky and I share some obscure taste in footwear and then today griff you post my reserve / need to feel something different / safety fin for 2+1 and on occasions single fin boards.

I always keep this one in the car and use it supinely often.
Chai Wallah

Postby flacky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am

Club sanuk! Lets party. Still don't like that fin though...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby matt_96 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 pm

that board in the link griffster is my exact board, I bought it from a guy locally haha! Having so much fun on the longboard so far, even managed a nose ride! :D
matt_96

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm

freaky - looks like we're all moulding into the same person! :lol:

Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
You're all different!
The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Sch!

As for the fin Flacky - personally I'm not a fan either - but I ride traditional single fins and tend towards either a nicely foiled pivot fin or something foiled / flexy. I'm not a fan of fins with large rakes / cutaways etc

But in Matt_96's case - judging by his size vs' the size of his log, a 2+1 set up and they way he wants his board to be manouverable and have some hold for noseriding - then the Wingnut would seem to fit the bill... (I'd totally stay away from a squirrel tho - some chaps swear by them however, but i figure why not just go the whole way and get a Stage 6) - I guess Chai can back this up in the way he uses his...

I'm currently rocking a Brothers Marshall Cap'n fin 9.5 in most of my logs and goes well in everything from noseriders to pigs - the upright pivot template, widish base and reduced tip seem a nice balance of hold / drive / turning

Otherwise I would be using a Nine Plus Keel or even better the Almond Huck - which is superb in noseriders and piggies alike. If i could get hold of one, I'd love to run an El Gato too...

Glad you're getting on with the logging Matt_96 - sounds like you're getting it nailed already :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby matt_96 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:16 pm

yes having great fun! really appreciate all the help as well! :D
matt_96

Postby kayu » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 pm

For a single stay at 10".....if you want loose , then get a similar fin with a shorter base ( as in cutaway)....for a 2b1 ,use 8" deep ,and play with different side biters..... :wink:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby matt_96 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:31 pm

thanks for advice :D
matt_96

Postby Tsu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 am

My tuppence has a http://trueames.com/shop/farberow-flex-fin on it. Get the 9" and you won't look back. This fin is lively with loads of drive but will lock-in when required. Noseriding is 80% ability anyway imho. 2+1's have to be surfed rail-to-rail, otherwise the sidebites are pointless. For your first performance log, ride it single for a year at least, and then when you're able to really move it around, try it 2+1.
Tsu

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Great advice there Tsu - The Farberow flex is a great fin - beguilingly so. You don't have to go too big with it either. I'd also agree with riding single - teaches you about the flow of your turns etc and how the board handles allowing some experimentation when it comes to 2+1
mister-griffster

Postby matt_96 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 pm

thank you for your advice, I have rode my longboard twice and I can hang 5 and ten so I am pretty happy but I am riding a 2+1 setup already and find that it suits me well. The 8.5 inch unbranded fin seems to turn well and lock in but I will try a single fin setup and take out my side bites!
matt_96

Postby matt_96 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm

would a fin like this still turn well?

http://finshack.com/Fin%20Pages/Rainbow ... tblue.html
matt_96

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Hell Yeah - I tend to prefer a pivot fin in a square tail - they really whip turns in small waves so can make quick changes of direction - think of a tun in the shape of a letter 'L' - where as a raked fin, with a sweep works well in a pintail and especially in larger waves, where you carve turns at speed - like a letter 'S'

There's a lot more to it than that of course! My standard go to fin is a nine plus keel or RFC pivot in a log- that's the fin I reach for first as it gives me a baseline understanding of a new board - I then play with different set-ups once I get the feel. Will certainly lock in for those noserides too - a 9 - 9'5 whould work well in your board

Todays Fin talk has been brough to you by the letters 'L' and 'S' :wink:

I may have some second hand fins for sale soon - may be able to sort something suitable :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby matt_96 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:04 pm

ok thank you for your advice :)
matt_96

Postby matt_96 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I think the fin I suggested above in the link will suit me because all I want to do at the moment is nose ride! :lol:

Just need to save up enough money for the fin now! :D
matt_96

Postby matt_96 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 pm

here's another fin:

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Fluid-Foi ... /Item/541/

Love this shape but don't like the price. Does anyone know any good sites/fins that are cheaper?

Mr griffster, do you have anything like this you would be willing to sell?

I can offer a swap for a longboard board sock
matt_96

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I've already sold one Matt_96 - sorry chap! Not sure if the fella who bought it may still have it - He preferred a more raked fin so may be one going.

I've got a Slick 9'0 that I may part with - have yet to make my mind up about it tho

Why not post a wanted ad in the for sale section - someone will have the fin you're looking for I'm sure :wink:
mister-griffster

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design