importing boards from the states

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

importing boards from the states

Postby da ghost » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Anyone got experience, advice or handy contacts for getting a longboard over from States?

The long nights mean too much free-time on t'internet & i'm finding myself getting lured in to potential boards from US. Looking at piggy/hully longboards from shapers like Rob R, Fineline etc - you know the ones!!!! I was hoping that someone may have advice on how to bring them back as cheaply & safely as possible. Any thoughts appreciated....

Cheers
da ghost

Re: importing boards from the states

Postby rodent » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Get a quote for one online and add import tax's/charges/freight etc, also check out shops that stock imported boards, they may work out cheaper.

Very very expensive
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby majordom » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 am

fly over and self import (not that i advocate avoiding taxes and duties haha)

free holiday !

just make sure the boards are all waxed and look used and dont carry the receipts with you
majordom

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I mailed the receipts to myself when in California, last thing you want is the Duty guys finding a nice folded up receipt in the depths of your wallet...then they go to town on you.
buttholesurfer

Postby da ghost » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the responses - the missus is going to be delighted with this - another new board & another holiday spent checking spots & sitting on her own on the beach..... :lol:

Still, it was never advertised any differently.

I was thinking that if i could find someone else who also wanted to import that perhaps we could co-ordinate & split some of the costs - suspect that would end up being a bit of a nightmare to arrange.
da ghost

Postby AB3 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 pm

its not hard to do ive done it a good few times.

just contact shapers direct
contact map cargo (shippers)
give box dimensions to them
opt in to insurance!

then work it all out

all costs added together then take this number and an 28% (tax and duty) + 50 for clearance cert

and remember the bigger the box the cheaper the shiping!! its dimensional weight :o)
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design