First board for super tall guy in UK, Cambridge

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

First board for super tall guy in UK, Cambridge

Postby cp496 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Dear community,

I have been following MSW a lot and have been reading in the forum. I cant figure out, which board I should get, therefore I would greatly appreciate your help! Now to my problem:

I am 6'7'', 85kg and have had several surfing holidays so far, using quite shitty rental long and mini mal boards. On my last trip to Biarritz in January I was using an old 7'4'' and felt very comfortable in waist to head high waves.

I am going on a trip to Mexico for 4 weeks in mid march and want to take a surf board with me, so that I dont have to rely on local rental places, hence I need to figure out which one to buy. It should have good buoyancy but it should also not be too long or heavy, making it more comfortable to carry it around during my trip. Also, I feel like epoxy would be more suitable for me in my situation because its increased durability lowers the probability of damages during transportation (flight, buses, ...) Do you agree?

This is what i have currently in mind
Length: 6'6 to 7'0 (is a thick board which is shorter than my body suitable?)
Width: 21 or more
Height: 2 3/4

Do you think that this would be a good board for me given the circumstances? Would you recommend buying in an on line shop or prefer a custom board? Unfortunately I am not situated close to the coast (Cambridge, UK) and would have to travel quite far to a surf shop/shaper or use courier services...

This is what I have been looking at so far:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1082003806
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lost- ... tem-full-3
http://www.shop.tikisurf.co.uk/p/1389/t ... rfboard-09
http://www.bilbosurfshop.co.uk/natural- ... 3427-p.asp
http://www.bilbosurfshop.co.uk/bilbo-66 ... 3246-p.asp
http://www.bilbosurfshop.co.uk/phil-gra ... 9226-p.asp
http://www.ratrigs.com/product/take-off ... surfboard/

I would greatly appreciate any productive input!

Cheers,
Chris
cp496

Re: First board for super tall guy in UK, Cambridge

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

cp496 wrote:I would greatly appreciate any productive input!

Looks like I'm not needed in here then. :(

Seriously though. Was the 7'4 the shortest board you've used so far? What does 'comfortable' mean? Define where your surfing is at and maybe peeps can help more.

I;d always advice against going too short too soon. If you struggle to catch waves and stand on the board you will only slow your progress down and waste your holiday and the waves presented to you.

If you really found it easy on the 7'4 then maybe go 7' - 7'2. Keep the shape roughly the same. Get an old fibreglass beater to travel with and take a repair kit. If you don't spend too much on the board you won't mind it taking a know or two. Even if you spend £££ on a tuffshite you can still ding them and it will upset you more. Plus with the repair kit and flat days you can get your ding repair sorted. If you feel you are surfing well and want to try a shorter board I'm sure you could part-ex while in Mex.

/2p
Poo Stance

Postby surfrat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 pm

buy that lost one. it'll work. if u don't like it there's plenty cheap boards in mexico and the lost will sell quik or be a good trade in
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby cp496 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Thank you for your opinions!

I absolutely share your point surfrat, I dont want to get stuck on a board that doesnt work for me on my last longer trip before my working life begins!! But because I will be travelling with the board I would prefer a shorter, but thicker board, keeping the volume high.

With comfortable I mean, that I would get most chest high waves when im in the right spot, do the turn after standing up and riding it down the line for a while. Only real challenge are head high or rather unpredictable waves which I occasionally stand, including some fairly late take offs.
cp496

Postby Morning Light » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Chris,
My brown mini simmons could well be for still for sale ...
Good travel board, and would float any one for sure !
I shaped a mini simmons recently for a guy called Tristan , also from Cambridge ( not sure if you know him ) ??
Any way mate let me know if i can be of any help to you ...

Cheer's , Scott.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morningli ... ref=stream
Morning Light

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Morning Light wrote:Hi Chris,
My brown mini simmons could well be for still for sale ...
Good travel board, and would float any one for sure !
I shaped a mini simmons recently for a guy called Tristan , also from Cambridge ( not sure if you know him ) ??
Any way mate let me know if i can be of any help to you ...

Cheer's , Scott.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morningli ... ref=stream

Is a mini-sims really suitable for a beginner as a first board? Despite being fashionable I would be surprised if they are the right kind of board for someone who has obviously not had a significant amount of surfing experience.

In my opinion you should just be looking at a mini mal or possibly big boy thruster / fun board- if you are travelling with a board it is always a pain and whether it is 6'6" or 7'6" is not going to make that much difference to the travel hassle - you may as well take a board that will maximise your wave count.
Chai Wallah

Postby Morning Light » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm only offering the guy options !
Thrusters are a waste of time to most folk, but you see so many fools that continue to struggle on them, just cos the likes of kelly slater etc
rip on them ...
I'm not to far away from cambridge , so could may be help him out with a custom order, if he fails in his search for a suitable travel stick ...
Morning Light

Postby buttholesurfer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I've surfed a lot of Simms, they are defo not what he wants ...no where near it. They are good fun , but you've got to move around on the things to get the best out of them.
buttholesurfer

Postby flacky » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Shameless... I know... This is built to last. Very buoyant. There's a heap of foam in this. Went a dream in knee high shorebreaks to overhead steep drops. It's as 'performance' as most people could take a board.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37492
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Andy7 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Everyones opinion is different, you need to take them all with a pinch of salt. You need to try different boards and see what works for you. Borrow off friend, hire them or buy cheap ones you can use a few times, then sell them on. Lots of shops or shapers hire out their boards so you can try before you buy.
Don't worry about using shitty old boards, a lot of very good surfers use old boards that have seen better days

I would advise however that going too short too soon would be a huge mistake.
If you do want a short board, one board I can recommend is the Fouth Chilli Bean on the magic seaweed shop. The biggest one is the 6'9" and has tons of volume. If you can get to Polzeth, go to Escape and try the Peanut. Its the same board, Bill Atlee makes them both and he's always happy for you to try his boards
Andy7

Postby cp496 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Cheers for all your ideas!

I have been in contact with Ody from Odaboards, Puerto Escondido, and it turns out that I would be able to get a nice, custom and new epoxy board for 270 quid. I am willing to pay extra compared to a used board, which would probably end up costing me 200 pounds or so anyway, including shipment (and I would avoid the risk of shipment and anonymous buying over the internet...). Also I wouldn't have to carry the board through the whole country since i'm flying in to Cancun...

He suggested me a 6'8 x 22 x 2 3/4 Re-Fai (pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 827&type=3 ). What do you think about this board? Should i rather ask for a 6'10 or 2 7/8?

Thanks again for your help!
cp496

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:38 pm

My gut feeling is that the board will be too short, how many weeks surfing experience do you have? The width and volume are good but you need to be honest and realistic about skill levels.

I learnt on a 7'6" x 22 x 2 7/8 and was 5'11" and 72 kgs at the time.
Chai Wallah

Postby cp496 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm

I have had probably 30 surf sessions in the past 6 months and 40 in the past year. As a kid I have been body boarding. In case it helps, I added a photo of a recent surf trip.

So what do you think is the problem with the board? The length or the the volume? How do I benefit from the extra length vs extra thickness to maintain the same, high volume?
Attachments
546297_4047351140817_461749558_n.jpg
546297_4047351140817_461749558_n.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 659 times
cp496

Postby browncurtains » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

cp496 wrote:So what do you think is the problem with the board? The length or the the volume? How do I benefit from the extra length vs extra thickness to maintain the same, high volume?

nowt..........................this will not be the only board you ever buy.....

buy it, surf it.
90% of the time its gonna be 'you' rather than the board that's not working.
But if it really is 'no fun' and gives you 0 stoke. then trade it on

Develop your style... start working out what you like / dislike , how 'you' want to flow.
so buy the time you can round house and rail to rail for speed you will have a great idea of what 'you' want, beyond trying just what is 'en vogue' .

re length / volume .gets complex. don't get hung up on numbers or volume.

remember ...this will not be the only board you ever buy
have fun!!!!!!

i was 6'2" and was 85kg .. (when i learnt).... am now shorter and heavier?!... and sh**er ;)
browncurtains

Postby slipslide » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:03 am

If its of any interest i have a 7ft x 23 x 3 (i think will check) custard point triple stringer volan glass quad. Now thats a mouth full, boyant fast fun. £250 ish.
slipslide

Postby swiggy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm

If you want to be a shortboarder you are best off getting a big guy shortboard. Doesn't have to be a toothpick, get one with some foam in it, but forget any alternative designs, fish etc. (mini-sims to learn on?) as they ride very differently. Learn to ride a thruster off the back foot and you can surf anything. It doesn't go the other way, learning on fish etc. lets you get away with all sorts of bad habits, back foot too far forward, weighting all wrong, riding it in a really front footed style because you just can't bog a rail on the things. If you have only ever ridden fishes, you jump on a normal shortboard and you will really struggle unless you are a kid or very naturally talented.

It seems everybody here gets fish to learn to surf on, and in my opinion its kind of ridiculous if you actually want to learn how to surf properly. But thats a big time investment..

I'd just look for a thruster in the 6'8-6'10 region with a decent amount of foam in it.
swiggy

Postby slipslide » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm

If you want to learn to surf properly get a single fin then translate that fluid style to thrusters quads fish or whatever. But singles are a great place to learn, if you can ride a single properly you have the foundation. As for fish, hybrids and all that its a good way to keep manoverability and hide some buoyancy or foam. Simmons for a learner would be crazy. A big fish/big boy thruster/hybrid are all fun wave catching boards. At the end of the day someone said it earlier learn to ride what you got. But if you fancy a change then why not. Plenty of options and opinions, just don't run before you can walk it will take the fun right out of it.
slipslide

Postby Chai Wallah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 pm

This would be perfect as your first board and you would not out grow it as you improve, tempted by it myself

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37586
Chai Wallah

Postby Rickyroughneck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:This would be perfect as your first board and you would not out grow it as you improve, tempted by it myself

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37586

I second this, but only because 23" and 3" are very generous dimensions for a 7'4" board. It would allow you to play around with fins too.

I wouldn't recommend anything sub 7' to learn on for anyone, let alone a tall guy. For you I would aim for 8' plus, why not try a longboard? One never outgrows a longboard.

Don't take everything shapers say for granted. Be aware that "hidden foam" is a phrase often used to sell hybrid shortboards to people who aren't good enough for them.
Rickyroughneck

Postby swiggy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Single fin would be fine too, but depends on the design, half the single fins you see for sale are pretty wacky designs.

I don't think longboards are for beginners at all. Too much of a handful getting caught inside etc.

I learnt on a standard squashtail thruster with, had the advantage of being young but I still say that if you want to shortboard then you might as well just learn on a big one..

Tbh that linked board looks a bit nice to learn on, you will probably wreck it, but its your money and definitely a nice board... I'd buy a £100 beater until you really know what you want. Don't learn to drive in a brand new porsche..
swiggy

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

It will be very difficult to get a definitive answer as it's like asking what pair of shoes should you buy....

Here's some thoughts from a chap who knows a thing a two about being a big guy as well as being an iconic shaper:

http://www.surfline.com/blogs/talking-d ... hig_27888/

Picking it apart, width is your friend, but as your relatively skinny for your height, draw the length out a bit rather than simply make the board thicker; your stance will be wider and, proportionally, a bigger board will smooth your style out a bit.

If it were my feet and I was buying a pair of shoes, then I would go for a 7'3" - 7'5" Speed egg type shape; it will have a nice amount of foam in the right places and will serve you well in a range of different waves. Adrian at Fluid Juice makes a nice one, as does Bro Diplock and they will listen to you enthusiastically and without prejudice (the same can't always be said about staff from generic surf boutiques or online stores) As you get better, it will also let you to develop your surfing, at which point you can go back to the shaper in a couple of years or so and let them know what's happening to see what they suggest next.

Do not listen to the marketing people or feel pressure to get a number of different boards for all sorts of waves while you are stil progressing. Stick with one board and learn how to ride it to the point where you are naturally thinking more about the wave in front of you rather than how the board is going to react.

Unless you are surfing all day every day from hereon in, which I presume you are not, hopping from one board to another whenever you go to the beach will do more harm than good - do not be tempted to be an amateur quiver-builder, regardless of what magazines and online forums will tell you; the affliction will occur naturally over time :lol:

Happy surfing :-)
Archy_is_God

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Skimmer2's got an 8ft Fluid Juice Speed Egg for sale on here just now
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design