deck thickness on wooden hollow core board

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

deck thickness on wooden hollow core board

Postby haydnt » Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey guys,

I'm building my first wooden board and I was wondering what thickness the deck should be and does the type of hardwood i use matter?

I don't want to get something too thick and the board ending up being way to heavy and I don't want to get something too thin and it end up breaking.

the board is 220 x 54 fish if that makes a difference
haydnt

Re: deck thickness on wooden hollow core board

Postby blue_pig » Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Depends on the wood - balsa reckon on 6mm, pine 3-4mm, cedar 3-4mm. hardwood will be way heavy so be careful..
4mm ply works well. Deck thickness depends on your rib spacing - 200mm ribs I think about the max. My current one is 150mm ribs so I can keep the decks thin as poss.
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/ = good details here, good luck with the build!
blue_pig

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Structural cloth on the inside of the deck helps a lot, and is an efficient use of the added mass.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby haydnt » Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks guys thats pretty helpful. looks like I'll be adding some more ribs then i had them at 250mm, I had assumed I couldn't use pine for some reason. Hell of a lot cheaper than the hardwood I was planning on using. I wanted to use balsa but it seems like its a bit of a nightmare to source anything longer 100mm.
haydnt

Postby blue_pig » Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 am

No need to add ribs - you can add strips running lengthways notched onto the ribs to give extra support under the deck. There is sometimes 6mm balsa packs on eBay a Meyer or so long - works well as long as you support under the end joins. Balsa done like this can look a bit like laminate flooring.. If you are near newquay then try rooted origin for paulownia.
blue_pig

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat May 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Fore and aft framing doesn't help much if the planking is running in the same direction, best to have it running across the grain.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby blue_pig » Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Go diagonal deck - this board is 250mm rib spacing, lengthways strips under the deck then planked diaganol:
blue_pig

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

aha!
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby haydnt » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

woah thats pretty nice, I was building this board with no plans just a picture I had seen. Diagonal is a good shout though. Do you mind me asking how much you would usually spend on wood for the deck?
haydnt

Postby blue_pig » Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

that board is a 9'8 - spar and ribs 4mm exterior ply about a half sheet 600x2400 so about £8. I used 2 planks of paulownia (google rooted origin, newquay) - these were about £30 each (Christian did us a bit of a good deal as me and a mate waited a few weeks for stock so gave us the old price - current prices on the rooted origin site. I organised my own collection and delivery through interparcel, so this as another £20). for the rails I used a recycled joist from a local 1920's beach house renovation = free. that works out just a sniff under 90 quid for the wood. I've used pine before, and using 4mm ply for the bottom saves a heap of time and a bit of cash. however ply standard sheet is 2400mm.
add another tenner or so for glue, tenner for finbox, then its resin (3litre poly kit £25 and 1 litre RR epoxy £20) and glass after that - 4 metres wide and 4 metres narrow (£25??). I kind of lost the plot a little with the resin job and lammed a proper goth looking mexican blanket in polyester (pigments £20) then finished up in epoxy cos I hate sanding poly. like the sanded matt finish too. All in - a couple of hundred? My mate did a 7'6 balsa board and i figure it worked out similar cost using ebay balsa. prefer paulownia - nice and light but not as soft. I'm on with a magic carpet that will be ply bottom and paulownia top. aiming for 7kg all finished..
hope that helps - woodies are great, the investment is in the time rather than the materials when you make them.
blue_pig

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design