Firewire timbertek

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Firewire timbertek

Postby anthony.d » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello,
Do the timbertecks suck in water when dinged like the rapidfire construction? I had a FireWire and a friend accidentally put a tiny hole in it, it caused a 2 sq ft waterstain on the bamboo deck. Despite prolonged drying it did not go. It's put me off f irewires. I wondered if the timberteks have sorted out the problem?
Thanks
anthony.d

Re: Firewire timbertek

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Timbertek decks get fractures in the wood grain and suck in water like a sponge. If you get one you need to regularly take the wax off and inspect for cracks, even on the ones that now have resin over the wood skin.
buttholesurfer

Postby anthony.d » Sat May 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks. I've asked a couple of shops and in their opinion they definitely do not suck in water or have resulting waterstains!
They also reckon that firewire have great customer service re faults.
The board that I had that leaked, they were terrible, it took an awful lot to get a replacement.
I want one but my head says no don't do it! I don't want to get stuck with a leaky board or ding it and end up with a horrible massive wet patch.
anthony.d

Postby Black » Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 pm

What's so great about timbertek? The name itself surely puts a little vomit in your throat when you say it? You've had previous experience of staining so why add to it.

Bamboo is little affected by water immersion but it stains easily and turns black after a while. It shows water ingress well but doesn't look good if you want otherwise.

p.s. Unfortunately mostly you can't talk to a shop and expect honesty unless you know who they are. The firewire sales model is based on quantity not service: QED
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby anthony.d » Mon May 08, 2017 6:52 pm

You are correct in all you have said.
I really liked the boards I had, I just hoped the new construction was better. As it seems they are not I will steer well clear of them.
Thanks both for your help, much appreciated.
anthony.d

Postby Black » Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Maybe it wasn't the wood lamination you liked but the shape? May be worth getting a copy made in epoxy. Probably end up cheaper too.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby anthony.d » Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 pm

You are correct. Guts up the road will do a fine job!
anthony.d

Postby reserves » Tue May 30, 2017 8:33 pm

TimberTek is great as is Firewire FST, doesn't have the issue you mention with Rapidfire.

Have a TimberTek Greedy Beaver, its been to Sri Lanka, Maldives & Portugal. Had one ding on the rail, didn't need a repair.

They are epoxy so if they let water in then they need to dry completely (can take weeks).

Will be trying their new tech soon too (Helium).

Each to their own :)
reserves

Postby JWet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:34 pm

These boards are reputed to be strong. I asked around online, but got the usual kaleidoscope of responses…everything from “They’re terrible boards” to “It must be a freak accident” to “it must be a unique design flaw”…which is to say, they were no real help. Here are some photos. The cracks appear to follow the grain of the wood—especially what appears to be an inserted chunk of bamboo. Anyone seen this before?

UPDATE:
Chuy Reyna at Firewire coached me through a repair process and is sending me some wood deck skins to go over the repair. Still no word from the shop, but Firewire certainly stands by its boards.

IMG_3896.jpg
IMG_3896.jpg (180.19 KiB) Viewed 95 times
JWet

Postby anthony.d » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm

My point is the way they suck in water. You cannot get rid of the wood water stains no matter how long you dry them out!
I've posted on the Firewire website forum regarding this. Surprise, surprise, no response.
anthony.d

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design