Anyone own a new generation soft top board, Softech etc.?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Anyone own a new generation soft top board, Softech etc.?

Postby Microwebby » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I always have a foamy/soft top board around for small days and messing about with the kids. In the last couple of years I've been surfing an 8'6" soft top that I got second hand (£20!) a lot. I started surfing it at our local manically crowded harbour wall break and it took all the stress right out of dodging the wall, the people on the inside, the SUPs, goatboats and whatever else happens to be floating through the lineup on the outgoing tide. It's now battered and delammed and beyond gluing back together.

I got a cheap secondhand 7'0 Saltrock foamy as a replacement the other day but about 2 square feet of the deck came loose the first time I took it out, and it was a pretty shit ride anyway. The fins seem to be badly placed even for a foamy.

But I'm sold on the idea of owning a soft top board so I need a decent replacement.

So there are all these new soft tops out now, Catch Surf, Softech etc. Some of them take proper fins which seems like a good idea. Something like this (http://www.softechsoftboards.com/54-torpedo/) is tempting. Short, high volume, looks like a good laugh, but pricey for a "foamy" at around £200-230.

There are plenty of review/test videos of these boards being surfed, but not one I have seen yet by someone who has actually paid for one themselves and kept it for a while.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any experience with these.

Cheers
M
Microwebby

Re: Anyone own a new generation soft top board, Softech etc.

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 am

Ive got a 7' Greco surf softtop for my daughter. I'm not sure they're still in business though. Its really fun to surf, thruster or 2+1 set up, nice slightly retro widepoint a bit forward shape, spiral vee bottom shape, a little bit of shape to the rails.

definately better than the salt rock kinda foamies
Jory

Postby Microwebby » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks Jory, I'll check that out, they do still seem to sell them. The fins look like they have a bit of shape to them. Has it held up in terms of delams etc.?
Microwebby

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:10 pm

yeah the fins are properly foiled. To be honest its not had really heavy use but it still looks mint at a year old!
Jory

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 am

I've got the softech rocket, had it over 3 years now since they first came out. the thing is damn near dead but it's been utterly abused and has taken everything without issue. snapped the plastic fins it came with first session, but it takes proper fcs fins so I've had plenty of different options to play around with.
fits in the boot of the car, loose and skatey, catches anything, and loves a heavy shorey :-D
only thing was the rails were a bit hard all the way to the nose, softened the hard edge with some 200 grit sandpaper and it was perfect, just my preference though really
the torpedo looks like a bigger fatter version of the rocket, I'm sure it would be great fun as long as you don't need to duckdive too much!
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Microwebby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Actually I think Greco are out of business Jory. The internet seems to think so anyway.
And thanks Tom, that's useful. I think we surf around the same area (Brighton/south coast) so it's good to know it's survived. You said it was dead. Could you describe dead for me. And has the softech delammed at all? I think that a couple of summers being thrown on top of the van in Spain and Portugal has killed my Surface softy. This year it split open like a ripe tomato. Shame as it actually has rails, sort of.
I suppose that's the worst thing about foamies. In the end they are definitely going to be landfill. Real boards go on indefinitely.
Microwebby

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am

Yeah Shoreham is my local when I'm unlucky enough to be there :lol:
It's got a few decent craters in the deck where I've compressed it hard, it's got a big delamination on the nose that inflates like a balloon when it gets hot, but the foam skin has stayed attached all around the rails so not a big problem, and the bottom has plenty of gouges from rocks
That coupled with the fact that it's lost the best of its flex makes me think it's not long for this world, but it still does the trick
I don't strap it on the car so no issues with sun exposure, but I can imagine that would kill any foamy
Tomdiddlybomb

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design