Slow burn

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Slow burn

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 am

Given how dead this place is of late a very slow build thread probably won't be lost on fray.

A mere 1000km away from the nearest coastline, but difficult to kick the habit.

Postage for 'proper' materials here (Canada) is ludicrous, place if fricken' huge! So building with what I can easily obtain.

Plan is a glassless build, xps core, timber skins ans rails.

Going for a bog standard everyday thruster. 5'10" x 20" x 2 3/4". Not my usual fare but i'm interested in the construction method & how it surfs, so this one is heading back to Tynemouth get under the feet of a few mates. Was hoping to bring it back this November, but that's not happenning, so it will be next May. A nice winter peoject when it's stupid cold outside.

Blank just squeezes into a 8'x2'x2" sheet of dow styrofoam. Although one section is formed of 3 parts...i'll stick this in the middle.

IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG (58.9 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Will pick up some vacuum supplies when i'm back in the UK and my throughbag connector. Picked up a diaphragm vac pump over here so no more nasty oil mist.
tynemouthmatt

Re: Slow burn

Postby spongerboycorn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 am

Good effort prof. Be interesting to see how it holds up. Keep us all updated on the progress of this one.
spongerboycorn

Postby spongerboycorn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 am

Good effort prof. Be interesting to see how it holds up. Keep us all updated on the progress of this one.
spongerboycorn

Postby spongerboycorn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 am

spongerboycorn

Postby WeAreMemories » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 am

Always good to see another build thread, this one sounds like it should be interesting to follow 8)
WeAreMemories

Postby tynemouthmatt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:42 am

AE7F3218-FACF-4C22-A3A5-AD85AFFC89C5.jpeg
AE7F3218-FACF-4C22-A3A5-AD85AFFC89C5.jpeg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Original plan was a full templated thruster, but that isn’t really my thing. Being so far from the coast I need to be motived by the design otherwise i’ll just abandon it.

This has been floating around my head for a few years. Subtly sidecut winged twinny. For MR style fins.

Slowly making my way towards making the blank, sanding each rib to shape by hand is tedious so tend to just do one at a time when I get the chance. Makes me miss my hotwire setup.
tynemouthmatt

Postby Black » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 am

Not sure what I'm looking at there, is it a template on paper or something else? Are you still making the board from the original sections at the top of post?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 am

love that template! always loved winged pintails but never seen one with a sidecut, be interested to see how it goes for you once it's done
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby tynemouthmatt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Black wrote:Not sure what I'm looking at there, is it a template on paper or something else? Are you still making the board from the original sections at the top of post?

Blank is being made from the foam sections at the start of the post, slowly making my way through shaping each one to size. Template was drawn out on a spare sheet of foam to see how it looked.

Tomdiddlybomb wrote:love that template! always loved winged pintails but never seen one with a sidecut, be interested to see how it goes for you once it's done

Cheers, won’t be me riding it though. Bringing it back to the NE from a mate next time i’m over the pond.
tynemouthmatt

Postby Black » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

tynemouthmatt wrote:
Black wrote:Not sure what I'm looking at there, is it a template on paper or something else? Are you still making the board from the original sections at the top of post?
Blank is being made from the foam sections at the start of the post, slowly making my way through shaping each one to size. Template was drawn out on a spare sheet of foam to see how it looked.
Ah that's what had me confused. Good luck! Tempted to twinzer it?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby tynemouthmatt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Yep, but it is for a mate who prefers a straight twin, made him both in the past.
tynemouthmatt

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design