Longboards- Single Fin vs Tri Fin vs 2-1

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Longboards- Single Fin vs Tri Fin vs 2-1

Postby socalsurfer1992 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:00 am

hey guys
i'm looking into a longboard, i'm 5'8" 145 lbs, for surfing the san diego area usually during the summer. i'm debating whether to get a single fin, trifin, or 2-1 setup. i want to be able to noseride like a single fin but want the performance of a trifin, but i'm just not sure about the 2-1 setup. i'll probably be surfing anything from 1-7 foot waves, any advice? i'll buy a used board, but i don't want to spend anything over $300, i'd prefer the size to be 7'6" to 8'6"

thanks
socalsurfer1992

Re: Longboards- Single Fin vs Tri Fin vs 2-1

Postby surfer-dave » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:51 pm

socalsurfer1992 wrote:i'm looking into a longboard ---- 7'6" to 8'6"

Sounds like your after a minimal... Longboards are generally class longboard over the 9 foot mark.
surfer-dave

Postby spewing » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:10 pm

living in California have a look at Harbour surfbords

http://www.harboursurfboards.com/surfboards.html

For your weight they recomend 8'10" but there sizes go down to 8'6"
I ride the HP1's which have a great combination of speed and contoll especialy with there HP single fin. Ive also riden there diamond tail and turbo banana both 2+1 but for me the single fin gets it.
There's also 3 fin and Quads and you can even have a Quad with a centrer fin box to cover all options but ive not riden any of these.

Kev
spewing

Postby chrisferr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey, have just put a single squirell fin in, and taken out the 2+1 set up on my longboard, the only difference ive noticed is more stability in bigger swell, the beauty of a fin box is that you can move the fin - for more/less pivot, to suit your style, and the quality of the swell your faced with on the day. Hope this info of use... :wink:
chrisferr

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:05 pm

My magic carpet is a 2+1 set up but cant remember last time i had the side fins in as i love the feel of the board as single fin :wink:
Surfings the source man change your life sware to god.
Live to surf..Surf to live!
Ross

Postby corduroylines » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:43 pm

I hate it when I see links to Harbour. Dream Boards. Riden a couple now and they are unbelievable. Still yet to own one. But its on the list of wants!
corduroylines

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design