Glass on fins

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Glass on fins

Postby slipslide » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Guys
Just wanted a bit of help on how to glass on fins. I am shaping a quad and have shaped my own plywood fins which i have just glassed on. I started by glueing the fins on with a glue gun then i went round the fin base with fiberglass rope (7 strands although it did not look like it was doing much) then i glassed the fins on with i think 4 oz cloth i covered the whole of the fins vertually and about 1 1/2 inches on to the board. The fins look fine but i was concerned that it may not be strong enough. I still have a gloss coat to put on. The board is a 7ft 9 big wide diamond tail cruiser so there will be no big airs and probably not be ridden in anything above 4 ft.
Thanks a lot for the help i would be gutted if first ride i lot my fins
Doug
slipslide

Re: Glass on fins

Postby ham'n'salad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:43 am

i did virtually the same just with no glue gun and its holding up fine,should be ok so long as you dont hit something solid
I have the body of a god...shame its buddah

[url]eoinkeyes.blogspot.com[/url]
ham'n'salad

Postby royal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:52 am

did you put any cloth on the fins before you attached them to the board?

i usually put at least two layers of roving on the base of each fin. There's about 20 strands in each layer of roving. The use 2 layers of 4oz on each side of the fin, up the full rake, and out onto the board about 3", but trimmed in an arc like this - ) . Reason being, square edges are harder to sand out cleanly. I was taught to cut all the pieces in advance, in a shape like an american football, or pill etc. and then lay it up, trim when gelled, and hotcoat.

I have put one layer of 4oz on before, but developed cracking along the base, and the fins flexed too much, and washed out a lot.

Anyway, hope that helps.
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby slipslide » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think i might just put another layer on just to be on the safe side, belt and braces as they say. I did glass the fins before i put them on the board with just a layer of 4 oz. 20 strands sounds a lot more like it, in shaping 101 they were saying 7 so i used 7 and thought to myself that it did not look enough. But losing a fin on my first surf with it would really drive me mad. i will just sand the laps flat and add another layer on.
slipslide

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design