Fishy stuff

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Fishy stuff

Postby Black » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:so tomorrow I'll post up some pics of my twins in glorious techno colour.

Girls I hope?!?!?! :arrow:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry mate... Got a son of 22!?
buttholesurfer

Postby CRISPY » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm

And he looks just like his Dad......poor lad :P
.... .- / .... .- / .. / -.-. .- -. - / -... . .-.. .. . ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ... .- -.. / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ...
http://www.jokeronline.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/JOKER/10652956154
CRISPY

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm

CRISPY wrote:And he looks just like his Dad......poor lad :P

I'll be your daddy if you like!? :shock:
buttholesurfer

Postby jp246 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 pm

coxie wrote:5'11 x 21 1/4 x 2 3/4 mate took the day off to glass it. Didn't really feel like a day off for some reason :?
Not my template by the way, but when something nice comes through the workshop and there's a bit of hardboard laying around i cant help myself.
Bet it won't go as well as the real thing :wink: Ply keels to follow
Wish i had more time for this stuff, this ones board number 5

That's pretty good looking. Are you back in the workshop much?
jp246

Postby CRISPY » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:
CRISPY wrote:And he looks just like his Dad......poor lad :P

I'll be your daddy if you like!? :shock:

I'm wearing speedos under my wettie from now on :shock: :lol:
.... .- / .... .- / .. / -.-. .- -. - / -... . .-.. .. . ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ... .- -.. / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ...

CRISPY

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 pm

^^^ I was thinking under the ' cookie monster robie'!
buttholesurfer

Postby CRISPY » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm

CRISPY

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Your miss' takes some cracking photos! Less of this banter it's all about the 'fish'.
buttholesurfer

Postby morris » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Royal, that incut work in progress on your website looks sweet.... make sure you get some pictures up on this thread when it's finished! :D
morris

Postby Kirk3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 pm

OK, twins/fish I can definitely do- I ride them 90% of the time I think. Here's the 2 getting the most water time of late:
IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

Mackie Winterstik experiment board from 11 year ago- 6', turned up with no fins and a bunch of instructions written on the bottom, Mick's first step into the flexpin concept really. At his request I had some Simmons keels put on it and was going to pass it on to some of the younger rippers to ride a bit as it's pretty foiled out and didn't look like it'd even float me. Figured since I'd bought the fins I should get first go and not only did it paddle well it felt really fun in the waves once it was up and going- fast definitely and really pivoty on turns as you'd imagine. I need to try it in better than LA conditions though, and Burch etc are going to have to wait before I loan it to them!
IMG_8979p.s..jpg
IMG_8979p.s..jpg (147.96 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

IMG_8968p.s..jpg
IMG_8968p.s..jpg (19.34 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

Jeff Beck's Mod Twin- he loaned this to me a few months ago and I'm loving it so much I'm definitely lagging on returning it (he'll get first go on the Mackie board I promise) 6'2" I think, the deck skin is some sort of poplar that has a nice flex pattern and the board has a lovely 'alive' feel. It's everything I like about a twin- fast down the line, smooth and yet still feels good into the turns. I think maybe I'll take it out tomorrow....
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:39 am

Kirk, that Poplar twin is the goods
Archy_is_God

Postby more » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31 pm

the Mackie looks interesting...hows the back foot placement on that thing ??? much flexing in that big swallow ???
more

Postby Kirk3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Archy- the twin is great- awesome tech, awesome craftsmanship and awesome in the water- I'm well impressed by Jeff's work. I'm sort of holding onto it in the hope I can find some cash to give him and just keep it!

More- Foot placement feels like it should be right back on the crack which is a little interesting to get used to, and it's really pretty flexy for an 11 year old poly board. One of the notes on the bottom (do you Australians not have Post-it notes or bits of paper and tape?!?) says to put it deck down on the ground and stand on it, the pins will just flex under your weight and they do. Haven't had it out in any really decent surf, I tried it on a run of waist high or so days as I wasn't expecting it to do much with me on it, but like I say, it felt pretty good. The wood twin is getting in the water today, maybe the Mackie tomorrow?

wtf.JPG
wtf.JPG (205.37 KiB) Viewed 978 times

wtftail.JPG
wtftail.JPG (202.24 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Kirk3

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey Kirk , what was the contributing factors of moving the keels that far back from the original position. Did it stiffen up the feel alittle? I love the written pointers on the board. :-D
buttholesurfer

Postby more » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:22 am

I am interested...would love to ride it in nice peeling waves and feel that flex and see how it went....any time you have feedback on it, please post....definitely got my mind ticking over... 8)
more

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:38 am

Hey Butthole, to be honest the reason the keels are there is because that's where Mackie said to put 'em- I figure hehe knows what he's doing (well, some of the time anyway) The shot below is the board in it's original form and judging by where the fins are I'd definitely say it's definitely more manageable. The keels are about where they'd be on a mini Sim if that that tail was square so it makes sense. I think why I like the board is you're basically surfing off of one pin at a time- all that long straight rail with a low profile long based keel out on it makes the board really drivey, and then when you turn, it's all pointy pin and away you go. I'm enjoying it.
mickoriginals.jpg
mickoriginals.jpg (142.09 KiB) Viewed 855 times

More, I say do it- build one! You guys playing with this stuff are what keeps it interesting for the rest of us. That deep swallow deal has always been lurking too, Bear and Nick Mirandon were doing these crazy things in the 60s, and they were a huge influence on Lis and Pleskunas when that longboard was turned into the first fish. Nick's kid Eli is keeping the family tradition alive and builds some really amazing boards, although in a well modern style. Lovely agave stringer action too.
twinpinreplicasrr-1.jpg
twinpinreplicasrr-1.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 855 times

typetmirandon05.jpg
typetmirandon05.jpg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Kirk3

Postby morris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 pm

All quiet on the fish front....?

http://vimeo.com/40921118
morris

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Rasta's 'hippy friend of the dolphins' deal may seem a bit goofy at times, but the boy can most definitely surf! Nice little Lennox wave there too. Here's a full on Mackie flexboard
DSCN1183.jpg
DSCN1183.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 722 times

DSCN1186.jpg
DSCN1186.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 722 times

and a stunner of a sidecut twinzer by Rob Royal
IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG (224.76 KiB) Viewed 722 times

They're both in a box in my living room along with a really nice Jobson Twinzer and are getting dropped off at the shippers today to go to a lucky bastard in Hawaii. He's extra lucky the surf has been dross here and I've not been tempted to 'test' one of them for him!
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Can't belive it's been a year since the last post on this thread! Fishy stuff lives!!!! :twisted:

Beatty Rocket Fish modernised - check the tail, there's fin tabs....
Archy_is_God

Postby Kirk3 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Alright Archie old mate, here's a few for you- starting with one Skip Frye did for Kidman- in the colours of Andrew's footie team and with the most insane polish I've ever seen. This board had some seriously pinched rails mixed with the more classic fish outline and foil- it was a pretty nice lump of foam.
fryedeck.JPG
fryedeck.JPG (200.45 KiB) Viewed 616 times

fryebottom.JPG
fryebottom.JPG (201.93 KiB) Viewed 616 times

fins.JPG
fins.JPG (174.95 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Timeless.

I like black tints..... on other people's boards :lol: Ding repair nightmare waiting to happen.

Slick as a greased weasel, though 8)
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Y'all would have been frothing over the full carbon, 5'11", twin keel, flextail Mackie fish that was in lightly used condition which went for $520 on Ebay a couple of days ago.
Wife would've killed me where I stand if I'd bought it.
:lol:
Cuttlefish

Postby royal » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am

i foresee a return to the fish in the near future, design wise.

still super fast, loose, do it all shape/platform to play with. I know I'm presonally re-working a few old HP and STD Fish concepts at the moment.

the surfing design ADD thing has been fun, but also detrimental to real fun in terms of waves... imho..

:wave:
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am

I took my Pavel twin out the other day, haven't ridden it for 3 months...early entry, loads of drive , turns good...viva la poisson.
buttholesurfer

Postby Kirk3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Archie- I was scared just having the bastard stored in my spare room! The thought of the dog knocking it over and then having to do repairs on an unridden black tinted Frye- nightmare!
Cuttle- Somebody scored on that for sure. Here's one I think I've posted before but it's a goodie- carbon noseless fish made by Mark Thomson (Daniel's dad)
fishlips.jpg
fishlips.jpg (103.82 KiB) Viewed 548 times

He has a very logical explanation for the nose- as covered in the other thread, you don't really need it. There's a lot of swing weight there with foam, glass laps etc. so why bother? You still have the rail line this way, and it duck dives a lot better which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned!
Kirk3

Postby shackattack2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Great to see this thread up and running. IWhen I started builing my quiver on the Sunny Coast I was put off investing in a twin fish. Always rid them on the reefs and points in Ireland but thought as I'm now surfing beachies my money was better invested elsewhere. Next shape/purchase is going to be a twin fish....that mackie incut flex tail of rasta's preferably :P I'm not fussy
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby Kirk3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

DSCN0273.JPG
DSCN0273.JPG (75.19 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (233.9 KiB) Viewed 472 times

and another.... compsand twinzer built by Jeff Beck.
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 am

Wow, almost a year and a half since the last post!

Last day in Bali today and have ridden my Jim Banks Mk3 twin keel to death.... From 2ft Bingin to 6ft Uluwatu Temple, the thing just works

The flavour of the month has moved away from fishes a little unfairly I reckon, but hopefully this may mean some secondhand gems popping up now :wink: In fact, there's a couple of beauts in the For Sale section right now....
Archy_is_God

Postby gingerandy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:58 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Wow, almost a year and a half since the last post!

Last day in Bali today and have ridden my Jim Banks Mk3 twin keel to death.... From 2ft Bingin to 6ft Uluwatu Temple, the thing just works

The flavour of the month has moved away from fishes a little unfairly I reckon, but hopefully this may mean some secondhand gems popping up now :wink: In fact, there's a couple of beauts in the For Sale section right now....

Good timing with the revitalisation of this thread.

Heading to Bali in October and on to Sumatra and have been having a board dilemma, whether to bring a 6'6 round pin and be limited at the low end of the wave scale or bring my trusty 5'7 incut fish and maybe struggle in the steeper stuff. If I didn't plan on traveling around so much I'd bring the two - gonna travel light and would appreciate a bit of direction from someone with a bit more experience in indo.
gingerandy

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design