Grub screw problems

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Grub screw problems

Postby jonnydance » Mon May 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi, I'm off to Portugal on Friday and had my board out today to check it over. Unfortunately one of the screws holding in my fins is wrecked - the hexagonal shape inside the head of the screw where the fin-key fits is completely ground out and so the fin-key just spins, and doesn't remove the screw. I need to get the fin out as I'm taking my board out on the flight with me, but don't know how to go about it. Any ideas to help me reomve it would be wicked - cheers guys and gals!
jonnydance

Re: Grub screw problems

Postby roberdy » Mon May 25, 2009 2:54 pm

use sun cure or superglue on the head of the fin key, leave to set in stuck grub screw, then unscrew grub from board, get key out of grub screw, buy more screws from here --> http://store.magicseaweed.com/FCS-Fin-Screws/Item/287/ they will be with you tomorrow, bob is your uncle, fanny is your mum's sister.
Last edited by roberdy on Mon May 25, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ham'n'salad » Mon May 25, 2009 2:54 pm

super-glue an allen key or something into the grub screw slot and unscrew it.

or try a futures key on it, there slightly bigger it might work
I have the body of a god...shame its buddah

[url]eoinkeyes.blogspot.com[/url]
ham'n'salad

Postby majordom » Mon May 25, 2009 3:34 pm

fcs tool has a special fitting for removing wrecked hex bolts

http://store.magicseaweed.com/FCS-Ratch ... /Item/545/

otherwise superglue and an allen key shoudl work
majordom

Postby Powl2 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Just use an oversize allen key, if your neighbour can't lend you 1 just go to a hardware shop with an fcs key and get 1 slightly bigger. And next time don't tighten so much as it not only wrecks the screws but increases chance of damaging the plug if you catch your fins on the reef or whatever. Good luck.
Powl2

Postby spewing » Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 am

Also worth a try

Cut / file 3 or 4mm of the end of your key. As well as damaging the grub screw you may have damaged the key. Also the hexagon in the bottom of the grub screw is probably still OK so a clean key may get it out to replace it.

Kev
spewing

Postby noah's_arc » Tue May 26, 2009 12:55 pm

As above - key is more likely to be trashed than the grub screw. Buy a proper allen key of the right size and you should be fine (forgot what they are but they are imperial - 3/16" sounds familiar??). Otherwise it's the superglue option...
noah's_arc

Postby jonnydance » Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for all the replies guys - unfortunately I'm still no nearer getting the damned thing out.
Larger allen keys don't work, I've tried flat-head, philips and those star-shaped screwdrivers to see if they'll get a bit of purchase, all without success. My old man posted me a reverse-threaded screw to draw it back out, which I've tried manually and as a bit in my drill, again nothing as it's marginally too wide to fit into the hole deep enough. I've even got angry and tried drilling the crap out of it!
Unfortunately the inside of the screw is so rusty it's damned near impossible to get anything to grip successfully...
I've been into hardware shops to seek advice, and all over the Internet. Unfortunately my local repair guy is away on holiday, and all the local surf-shops use him too so they're no use at present!
My last options are the superglue trick, which I'm reluctant to try in case it seeps out into the hole and sets the screw permanently, or to simply pack the board with the fin still in using loads of bubble-wrap and foam and hope the fin makes it out there in one piece - either way I can then get the screw removed by a surf-shop when I get there.
Thanks again, and if someone does come up with a Eureka moment this afternoon I'll be eternally grateful!
jonnydance

Postby ham'n'salad » Fri May 29, 2009 9:20 am

similar question...

how do i get out a stuck futures fin thats stuck fast? leaving it in or breaking it arent options!
I have the body of a god...shame its buddah

[url]eoinkeyes.blogspot.com[/url]
ham'n'salad

Postby roberdy » Fri May 29, 2009 9:27 am

superglue mate, you just have to use a tiny blob and be careful wth it, obviously if you squirt a cubic ml of glue in the hole it is gonna stick the whole thing but if you only use a tiny bit on the head of the allan key then you should be fine. What is the wrost that can happen? Either you get the screw out and it is fine or you don't and you have to get the fin plug replaced. If you don't try the glue option you'll end up having to get the plug replaced anyway, probably!

good luck!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby danny1 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:26 am

i am aham fisted twat and used to always shread my grub screws...i remember once pulling up to TE at dawn double overhead and no one in...depserately trying to swap some fins over and just fuckin everything up..very stressfull..

in the past ive tried both the solarex and the super glue method and both didnt work. has anyone HONESTLY done this sucesfully??????

i just drill mine out these days

and make sur e you use a standard allan key ratchet to tighten which seems to presevre the screws much better than those daft keys.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby spewing » Fri May 29, 2009 10:54 am

If your absolutely desperate to get it out hold a piece of wire with pliers and heat it up and then try to melt round the grub screw to get it out. You ll then have to drill and tap another screw hole from the other side. I would only do this if i was really really desperate.

If your going to leave the fin in the board put the others in, pack between them with polystyrene not bubble wrap and wrap the whole lot round with duck tape. The more solid you can make it the less chance the fins will get broken.

Kev
spewing

Postby J L » Fri May 29, 2009 11:03 am

All that sounds like a lot of fucking about, just get an opposite size key set e.g. Imperial if screw is metric and vice versa chose the size just bigger than the original tap it home with a small hammer and bob is your uncle, or get an old small terminal screw driver file it to just over size of the hex and again job done.

when you replace the grub screw put a little petroleum jelly on to avoid it seizing again

:roll:

and get your next board with glass-ons or Lockbox :lol:
J L

Postby majordom » Fri May 29, 2009 11:41 am

baggage handlers LOVE glass ons
majordom

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Put cocoa-cola on it - leave it to soak for 20 mins - cut Fin Key down so no rounded edges on hex ( as previously suggested) put key in grub screw as far down as possible then tighten it sharply 1/4 turn , then unscrew that little chap outta there 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Schizo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:42 pm

majordom wrote:baggage handlers LOVE glass ons

never had a problem with that - they put the swallows of my fish, through the pipe lagging, through the endo of the board bag and chipped the corners, i dont't mind that though, i wonder how many people on here know that a fish should be stood on its nose and not the swallows :-D
:-( :-) 'Your truth is not my truth; my truth is not yours' :-( :-)
Schizo

Postby surfersnowy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 pm

ive tried pritty much everything on here an the lil bastards not coming out!!!
surfersnowy

Postby kenster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am

Try a torx wrench slightly larger than the Allen bolt size Works for me
kenster

Postby danny1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 am

this is such a design fault it's unreal!
danny1

Postby majordom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

not really just use a proper sized decent quality hex key in the first place

the free ones sent out with fins are often rubbish (which is a fault)

gte a fcs tool - it has proper hex and a reamer tool to remove tough ones

if you take fins in/out regulary use new hex boltz occasionally
majordom

Postby danny1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm

thank you for your wisdom marjerine
danny1

Postby majordom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:01 pm

you are most welcome donny
majordom

Postby danny1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:46 am

danny1 wrote:i am aham fisted twat and used to always shread my grub screws...i remember once pulling up to TE at dawn double overhead and no one in...depserately trying to swap some fins over and just fuckin everything up..very stressfull..

in the past ive tried both the solarex and the super glue method and both didnt work. has anyone HONESTLY done this sucesfully??????

i just drill mine out these days

and make sur e you use a standard allan key ratchet to tighten which seems to presevre the screws much better than those daft keys.

just remphasising this point..has anyone actually done the superglue/solarrez technique????????? nah i didnt think so.

this monring i just drilled a couple out again and got larger grub screws. a bit rough but functional
danny1

Postby coxie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:53 am

easy out tool, they are just screws with the thread reversed.
coxie

Postby sidneysnake » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:00 pm

what about dipping the key in a bit of arildite rapid. would fuse the screw and key together like concrete.

Either that or there is some stuff called chemical metal.
** Banthamsurfcam.com ** New Surf Photo Book - Atlantic Surfers ** Buy my stuff!**

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact.
sidneysnake

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:14 am

I'd just like to say...

arrgggghhhhhhhH!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:cry:

Anyone know if I drill the little bugger into the plug will it fall out, or is the grub too long to do this and I'll just wedge it in more?

PS. superglue is a fail. solarez is a fail. FCS ratchet reverse screw thing might as well have been a flaccid penis
Poo Stance

Postby coxie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Warm the plug up with a hair dryer, go steady though. with the fcs reverse thread thingy push it in as hard as you can and turn it really slowly.
If it slips push it in really hard and then force it to the side slightly while turning slowly.

Ooooo errrr missus
coxie

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm

So I warmed up the receptacle, inserted my flaccid penis substitute, tried giving it a small screw to the left, pushed it slightly to one side then the other. Tried pushing it a bit harder. All that happened was I made a right mess of the entrance hole :-(

I may have to call by and see if you can work your magic mate. I know how much you like fixing plugs in the summer :D Don't be surprised if I bring my whole quiver for you to make beautiful again.
Poo Stance

Postby roberdy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 pm

wd40?? might loosen 'er up a bit when you wanna give it a slow screw to the left...

You'll hate this but I usually grease my new fcs plugs with a wee spot of vas before use, seems to keep them screws nice and smooth for a good long time :)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 pm

roberdy wrote:wd40?? might loosen 'er up a bit when you wanna give it a slow screw to the left...

You'll hate this but I usually grease my new fcs plugs with a wee spot of vas before use, seems to keep them screws nice and smooth for a good long time :)

Just Like Yo Mamma .................see ya
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design