longboard- allrounder or noserider

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: longboard- allrounder or noserider

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm

^ That's a lovely board flackster - I've got a similar beast myself - a Dagger shape - V thin - way flat rocker and very loosey goosey - flies like a badger on acid tho. I find a stiffer flex fin works better.

But as for Zephs opinion - he's bang on - exactly what they are - lets not beat about the bush, widepoint back, narrow nose, vee all the way... depends how much vee is in the board and it's rocker as to what makes it a success. It's kind of comparing 67 shelby mustang with one produced today - which is more fun? the one with the airbags or the one that will bite your legs as you drift around a corner? :wink:

Point and shoot baby, point and shoot - it looks a WHOLE lotta fun to me
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Depends what his point was... Are they easier to surf with a flattened bottom, probably. Well, definitely. Would it be as smooth and fast? Probably not.

This is quite weighty, there's a lot of foam in it, and though it's pretty flat, there's a fair bit of curve on the bottom nose to tail, not a wave catcher despite the width of the tail. Found myself quite far back on it, so more effort needed. Before I took the board I was mind-surfing it and decided it was worth the gamble... I love rolled bottoms, always have. They seem to make the way I want to surf happen easier. So considered doing without the pintail noserider i was seeking. Whether or not I can go without trips to the front end long term remains to be seen, it's almost instinctive after so many years on them. My first wave on this chip was absolutely perfect though, don't think I've had that before on anything. Turning was instinctive too, helped as my last surf prior was on the Spence 6'10.
Ballsed up a few from turning from too far forward, but overall I think it;s a shape I'll really get on with.

Fin wise, its a glassed in boy. Looks great, turns great. Oh whooooo's a happy bunny....
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm

mister-griffster wrote:^But as for Zephs opinion - he's bang on - exactly what they are - lets not beat about the bush, widepoint back, narrow nose, vee all the way... d

He wasn't referring to the shape, more that the board was a stinking fat beast.

He's wrong though. ;)
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Horse for courses, pigs for truffling :wink: Yeah it totally depends on the way / how you ride and if you;'re up for a challenge or not. Zeph makes great boards - and he makes them for the average guy rather than super talented hep-cats. I don't mind a difficult board - teaches me new things and inevitably improves my surfing when i get on something average. but not tooooo difficult ;)

I've only had my Dagger out a handful of times - glassed heavy and only 2 1/2 thick it needs some juice to get it going - and i've missed a lot of the juice this year. Really want to get it out a handful of times more before i decide what to do with it. And not everything is about a noseride when riding something long - again, horses for courses. i don't really believe in the one-board-wonder type of gloss - different shapes suit different waves and styles - it's all good. Enjoy it flackster, crank some speed and set the dials to 11. Hope you have a blast mate :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Is it a Gato? I was offered a few of them and boy was I tempted... Stunning outline, but the thickness put me off.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm

The Art of Trim version - directly lifted from Robbie's templates - rumour has it, due to his bingeing he left his plans... ooopsie :wink: - Yeah, forget riding 1ft ankle tappers with it - 2 1/2 thick and vee throughout - no rails to speak of - just blades - but once it gets to waist to chest + it's the boy! Just the ticket for wailing down reeling Morrocan walls - don't think a section would ever catch you - flying machine!
mister-griffster

Postby Jory » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 pm

http://adventuresintrim.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -doom.html

aaaah robbie k, legend or destined for drug addled obscurity?
Jory

Postby flacky » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Both at the same time?

Nice piece jory, always enjoy your blogs. We seem to have similar ideas on boards, I think I'm riding your old spence 6'10...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Jory » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 pm

quite possibly!!

lovely hull the spence, kinda regret selling but i needed the cash and something had to go, that seemed least painful at the time!
Jory

Postby VillageIdiot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:12 pm

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG ! CP, didn't know you had sold your hull, I would have had that off you. Bye the way, the acute pain has now receded in my pre-molar, leaving me with a foul metallic taste in my mouth. Think the pulp may have died (cyber self-diagnosis).
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm opting for drug-addled legend - the indisputable thing is - the boy can surf! - everything else pretty much in a grey area tho :wink:

No dirty hull talk in this thread please - there's another sweet thread for that kind of filth - I shall soon be reviewing my 7'6 Mason Smoothie, once I get rid of this lurghi and get some bloody waves! - don't think a day has gone by when I haven't fondled her curves.... :lol:
mister-griffster

Postby Jory » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 pm

It wasn't for sale until I got offered cash for it!

Check ur pms squirrel!
Jory

Postby flacky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Bringing this back to life as I've just scored a noserider I've always wanted. Banked the money from my Squire intent on waiting until the right board at the right price pops up. One last look on ebay. And there it is. Dewey Weber Performer, Legend Edition

Interesting to know if anyone's had one. I'm expecting it to be a handful, but rock steady.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby NCSM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am

I've been looking at the Legend vs. the Planer vs. a Bing Levitator vs. a Dewey Stylist. a bit across the range within the niche area of Nose Riders + perfomance.

any first hand reviews? I saw Buttholesurfers good review on the Elevator/Levitator. can't find anything on the Planer, Legend, or Stylist
NCSM

Postby flacky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Not got it yet. It's up there with boards I've always wanted. Con Ugly is probably number 1. Micah Wood "Micah Wood Model" is another. Happy I found this, and super happy it's a Legend edition.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Werwulf1919 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Oh boy...well spotted Nick...that looks a blinder.Post me some more pics for the blog when you get it.
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby flacky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Will do Ed. Fingers xd get it over there too
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Goat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Quite a nice comparison between noseriders and pigs: -

http://diversesurf.com.au/logging-pig-vs-noserider/
Goat

Postby kayu » Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Joe Larkin classic balsa pig...
Attachments
dscf6471.jpg
dscf6471.jpg (15.33 KiB) Viewed 446 times
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby kayu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:56 am

A good all-rounder for those with a more traditional preference..
Attachments
IMG_2839.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG (165.18 KiB) Viewed 129 times
IMG_2834.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG (89.82 KiB) Viewed 129 times
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby flacky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:46 pm

NCSM wrote:I've been looking at the Legend vs. the Planer vs. a Bing Levitator vs. a Dewey Stylist. a bit across the range within the niche area of Nose Riders + perfomance.

any first hand reviews? I saw Buttholesurfers good review on the Elevator/Levitator. can't find anything on the Planer, Legend, or Stylist

Just seen this... So will give my two pence.

Board, wow. It's stunning. In your hands, you can tell it's going to be a bit special, and it is. Paddles brilliantly. It's pretty lightweight, even at 9'6. Turns brilliantly, from the tail, that big fin is great. From a little further forward it still turns well. I've had it out in knee to waist and last week 3ft Sandsend in steep punchy surf. Was brilliant. Very forgiving, easy to walk. I've been after a Bing Pintail, and this wasn't my ideal board, but can't see me parting with it now.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Ozric » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Seems like quite a few very knowledgeable longboarders into this thread, so will try and
Pick the brains/ experience on my quandary.
Have had a Stewart hydrohull 9"1 for the past 10 years, which I have loved, but is now on its last
Legs. Delaminating and water logged through several poor ding repairs during its life.
It was a custom shape by the late Mark Neville and really helped me progress my surfing.
What's peoples opinions on the new machine shaped offerings ?
Ozric

Postby flacky » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:59 am

I'm selling a Neville shaped Stewart I think, the McPhillips pro. Real nice condition. Thicker than standard, custom order.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design