longboard- allrounder or noserider

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: longboard- allrounder or noserider

Postby Jory » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 am

For reference the jai lee is 9'6 the gs is 9'4

I'm pretty small. 5'6 and 10 stone
Jory

Postby Barneyrubble » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 am

Jory wrote:For reference the jai lee is 9'6 the gs is 9'4

I'm pretty small. 5'6 and 10 stone

That's quite a bit of board to chuck around for a wee chap....9ft 6 and 10 stone....but you seem to do it easily. Think the chances of me getting to the nose of my board may take a good while...14stone, 6ft and 9ft 2 board.
Barneyrubble

Postby royal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 am

Jory wrote: The yellow one has a raked fin like the rainbow noserider whereas the lee has a very upright pivoty fin. If you look real close you'll see the yellow board turns with a bit more flow, slightly more drawn out lines. It's fairly subtle though

Very good point made here by Jory. The fin you ride can dramatically alter the way any board rides.

If you can demo lots of boards, that the best thing you can do. Its a tough call to get a board when you're not sure what you want out of it, and how your surfing is going to progress. As I got into longboarding, I must have gone through 6 boards before I settled on what works for me, some I still have, some I don't. So, if you can avoid that, it would save a lot of money.

Its funny though, when I look back on it all, I wonder if my "style" of logging is because it is what I originally wanted, or what naturally developed by riding all those heavy old 60s logs...

single fin yellow Tyler footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZTWy36 ... re=related
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby royal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 pm

thats a pretty hot turn no matter what he's on...
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 am

royal wrote:
Jory wrote: The yellow one has a raked fin like the rainbow noserider whereas the lee has a very upright pivoty fin. If you look real close you'll see the yellow board turns with a bit more flow, slightly more drawn out lines. It's fairly subtle though

Very good point made here by Jory. The fin you ride can dramatically alter the way any board rides.

If you can demo lots of boards, that the best thing you can do. Its a tough call to get a board when you're not sure what you want out of it, and how your surfing is going to progress. As I got into longboarding, I must have gone through 6 boards before I settled on what works for me, some I still have, some I don't. So, if you can avoid that, it would save a lot of money.

Its funny though, when I look back on it all, I wonder if my "style" of logging is because it is what I originally wanted, or what naturally developed by riding all those heavy old 60s logs...

single fin yellow Tyler footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZTWy36 ... re=related

....superb surfer that Tyler chap...amazing how he's dipping his toes well over the front. Seems that he's also able to work every wee bit of the wave and just when you reckon he's spent he gets even more from it.....must have had a mispent youth on the waves I reckon. His board looks kind of interesting too.
skimmer2

Postby curry1curry » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

so thought youd be interested to know i finally succumbed to an Australian MacTavish ray gleave 9 ft 6 from someone in croyde ! very pleased with purchase so far, seems to turn well but cant noseride it yet :-( but Im certain thats because i need to learn to noseride it yet :)

ive seen the guy noseride it very wel lat saunton anyway so im convinced it will do the job, but maybe will take me a lil longer to master than a log as its an allrounder and does a bit of both.

amyway thnx to all for helping me on my way!
trev
curry1curry

Postby roberdy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm

good skills Curry, hope you love longboarding in all it's forms :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby curry1curry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 pm

hmm just looking back at royals replies about width of nose and wondering if im going to struggle in drops at croyde on my new board (poly mactavish ray gleave 9 5) cos the nose does look very wide?
9'5" - Gleave

N : 18

M : 22 3/4

T : 13 3/4

Th : 2 3/4
curry1curry

Postby North Devon Lad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:05 am

Mate it's not down to the board. If you buy a perfect noserider it wont just do it for you.
Practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

Stick at it, watch dvds, set line and xstep - don't shuffle.
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby MandalaMac » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 pm

The noseriding will come with practice on the MacTavish. Have a sesh were you do nothing but try noserides and it'll come good man. 8)
MandalaMac

Postby Jory » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm

i think the nose width is going to be fine for drops. We will eventually hook up & i'll give you some tips!

ps read this if you haven't already:
http://adventuresintrim.blogspot.com/20 ... rt-of.html
Jory

Postby curry1curry » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm

thnx guys, i will persevere :)
curry1curry

Postby curry1curry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 am

better with or without side fins? (they are fcs gx)

or does it as always depend on surf? :wink:
curry1curry

Postby flacky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Better with. Most boards with sidebites will have rails designed to work with them, I tried taking my side fins out and surf it as a single, is just wrong.

That's my opinion by the way, and could well be wrong.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Jory » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:07 am

No i'd leave the side fins in, the boards designed to be ridden with 3 fins so the bottom and rail shape will reflect that
Jory

Postby surfrat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 am

just got a log....all rounder, leaning towards performance. bit hard to turn in slow stuff but get it in any decent section and it's fast and loose enough to throw about. only problem is when the surf gets good enough for the log to live up to its potential i'd usually get the shortbaord out.... :roll:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Jory » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:32 pm

forget progressive longboarding ride heavy single fins.......... case closed ur honor! :wink: :lol:

actually, jesting aside, if you work on your footwork so you can move your weight around more quickly and smoothly and you will find it will turn better in smaller waves, you could also use some smaller fins in smaller surf (or a single)
Jory

Postby flacky » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:36 pm

In slower stuff you might need to get back over the fins and swing it into turns a bit more. Longboards are so much fun in poor surf, but hard work.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby surfrat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:17 pm

i've been moving the fin around and that helped me get the most out of it the other day. I was thinking of taking the side bites out in waist high or less to make the most of the single fin "pivot" in a turn....but then if the bottom's designed for a thruster set up maybe it wouldn't work too well.
who knows...endless possibilitites!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby curry1curry » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:47 pm

thnx guys... will do

before i saw this post i took it out in croyde yesterday evening without side bites and had lots of fun on it. it turned well still :-) . it may be because im just getting used to the board now as it was my 6th surf on it so reaping the benefit of that rather than lack of side bites. will put them back in though. what do the side bites do, help turn or holding in more hollow wave and giving more drive?

I managed to crossstep 3 steps yesterday, not quite to the nose though. but i chickened out and shuffled back :oops: . i think i was lucky and happened to be in the right place in the wave more by luck than design but could definatly feel it was the right time to walk foreward so on the whole a good learning experience :)
curry1curry

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Just to put my oar in - I ride one of Rob's Pigs... not a full on but a little fuller in the nose - 9'5 , nigh on 17 in the nose and 16 in the tail - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22655&start=30

The reason I got a board from Rob (apart from his stirling talent as a shaper :wink: ) in the first place is that I have been riding a trad noserider from Fluid Juice based on a Harbour Nineteen template 9'4 , 19 nose and 15 1/2 tail. I also have a 9'8 Junod Pignar and only take it out on the less crowded days.... now I'm not great on the nose by any stretch of the imagination - in fact I'm a kook - but the first time i took the Pignar out in 2ft sloppy surf i was astouned by how the thing handled upfront - with a bit of a steeper face and / or water crumbling over the tail the thing just locks in and you literally are flying - hanging above the surface of the water like Jory says... Unlike my Nineteen 'Noserider' which kept slipping down the face of the wave, especially in steeper sections. I love to ride a tight line to the wave and have to feel close to the wall when possible - The Nineteen is great on a fat section acting as a platform under you, but you have to ride at a kind of 45 degree angle to the wave on those kind of rides. Being in the pocket whenever possible, with the power, speed and suck of the face is how I like to surf.

So i had to get a Pig for a daily driver (hence less of a full on pig) - thinking a fuller nose would help would be a bit more forgiving... The Pig is sooo much fun... way looser than a traditional noserider, and it's a heavy log - glassed heavy with a 1inch stringer it's no popsicle - but it's the most manouverable log I've ever ridden - single fin with an upright hatchet .... the turns are unparalled - pivot turns are a dream and I'm just getting into performing more cutbacks - something i really really struggled with on previous logs.... For noserides you do have to get it locked - it rewards proper wave positioning - get it in the pocket and then go... and it locks in and will pick up speed from the nose too - making it much more fun in my humble opinion. No noseriding out on the shoulder for sure as the tail will just come loose - so riding one of these definitely rewards a better feeling of where you are on the wave....

I would say that both forms of noseriders are totally valid and will allow you to get the most from a certain type of wave. Generally a slow, crumbling type of wave like Saunton will allow a wide nose to perform as it's supposed too - but if you have any steeper sections at your break or like to race those inside sucky sections then a narrow nosed, pulled back mid point, wide tail i.e. lil' piggie will perform outstandingly well...

As for fins, I generally ride single fins (tho do have a 2+ 1 with side bites in the quiver). From what i understand it's generally the total surface are of the base of the fins that contribute to the 'drive' of the board as well as positioning in the fin box.... the side bites certainly help with more hold in a hollow wave, but so does your rail shape... btw- the 2+1 doesn't turn as well as the single fin Pig for tight pivot turns at all, but it does give a nice drive through a longer arching turn.... in general i seem to lean toward a single, but that's all down to personal preference....
mister-griffster

Postby buttholesurfer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Ive just got a 9' 5" Bing elevator. It was a toss up between that and the Lovebird. Wanted a log that would noseride well and turn. Had my mind set on the Lovebird till i gave the elevator a good look over. Plan shape was what I was after and the rocker in the tail should make it turn ok when stepping back on the tail. Flat mid section then step deck nose. Only going to use it in small stuff anything over waist high and id rather ride a fish/quad. So hopefully ive found the best of both worlds...we'll see. Oh the finish is the mutts nuts :D
Attachments
bing 3.JPG
bing 3.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
bing 2.JPG
bing 2.JPG (26.93 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
bing 1.JPG
bing 1.JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
buttholesurfer

Postby flacky » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 am

That looks stunning B'hole... The tail looks nuts. My hunt is pretty flat through the tail, but has up rails so it gives the impression of more rocker. Same effect anyway, flops like a lazy trout.
flacky

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Just took it out... First wave was fucking great, it was loose but you could get up the front easy. Really stable. Couple of walled up waves you could actually pump the thing for abit of extra speed, I think when I've got it dialed it will be a great board... Super fast when your up front. Well happy with my purchase.
buttholesurfer

Postby flacky » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:27 pm

you've just talked me out of selling my hunt.
flacky

Postby Welsh Kook » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Yeah keep it Flacky for sure, looks like a cracking trim machine, blast through anything with all that weight and flatness. I was tempted by it but I got too many logs and my gulf stream just seems to deal with anything, love that board. Where did you get that elevator butthole, Adam? Stunning, really loving that step deck and semi pig outline. Do you mind asking me how much it was? Would give my right arm for that board. Ive heard they hold well in steeper waves too, so you mind findyourself taking it out in a litle more juice. Enjoy!
Welsh Kook

Postby flacky » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 am

Welsh Kook wrote:Yeah keep it Flacky for sure, looks like a cracking trim machine, blast through anything with all that weight and flatness. I was tempted by it but I got too many logs and my gulf stream just seems to deal with anything, love that board. Where did you get that elevator butthole, Adam? Stunning, really loving that step deck and semi pig outline. Do you mind asking me how much it was? Would give my right arm for that board. Ive heard they hold well in steeper waves too, so you mind findyourself taking it out in a litle more juice. Enjoy!

Matt?
flacky

Postby Jory » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:Just took it out... First wave was fucking great, it was loose but you could get up the front easy. Really stable. Couple of walled up waves you could actually pump the thing for abit of extra speed, I think when I've got it dialed it will be a great board... Super fast when your up front. Well happy with my purchase.

Thou shalt not pump a longboard....... one of surfer mags ten commandments of surfing a couple of years ago!

actually if you get your footwork sorted you shouldn't need to!

here's an elevator in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7Abp7ERHI
Jory

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

"Thou shalt not pump a longboard....... one of surfer mags ten commandments of surfing a couple of years ago!

actually if you get your footwork sorted you shouldn't need to!"

Hey Chris - have to say I love pumping my longboard down the line if it's walled up as described - not that ridiculous bouncing on the board you see all to often created by bad positioning of the surfer on wave/surfboard but that greatest of fun rollercoasting down the line building speed top to bottom to make the section - LOVE IT!!!!

It may well not look as stylish as being perched in perfect trim hanging 10 but it's sure as hell as fun - times and places and all that but for me there is most definitely a time and a place.

Must admit that this does coincide with my turning to the dark side recently and getting very excited in overhead east coast barrels on a sd lufi - it's one hell of a fun board! I didn't see that one coming at all but works well over here. By the way - still loving the Russ Short as well - had some great surfs on it - thanks!
mrkmrk2842

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:51 pm

It's the only bit of "pumping" I get! :lol:
buttholesurfer

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design