Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Postby Goat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Stumbled across their website today and their boards look superb on first glance. The 'Lumus' in particular caught my eye. Has anyone ridden one (or similar) and able to give feedback? Their 'Mystery' longboard model looks equally tempting!

http://www.empiresurfboards.com/Boards/the-Lumus.html

http://www.empiresurfboards.com/Boards/the-Mystery.html
Goat

Re: Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Postby roberdy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Dunno about these specific boards mate but Steve Croft at Empire made my Bonzer and it is easily the best board I have owned to date, superb shape, built with lots of communication with me, really well glassed (bomb proof) had it nearly two years and has not a single ding that I have seen and I am not far off 16st. I think Rob Royal has nothing but good things to say about Steve too. The Lumus looks pretty rad actually, combines some Bonzer theory with some other design influences that have been going around but with Steve's own twist. Call and have a chat with him, he's a nice bloke.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby buttholesurfer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 pm

That's right up my street... It's like a slight bonzer, twinzer setup. Planshape looks a good UK design for Uk waves, wonder if they do it in lokbox fin setup. I think you'd have to test drive one first though... I like!
buttholesurfer

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Some of those boards look mega fast and sleek. You can see some of the designs maybe rubbing off on Rob's designs?
skimmer2

Postby Black » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:07 am

skimmer2 wrote:Some of those boards look mega fast and sleek. You can see some of the designs maybe rubbing off on Rob's designs?

If you are saying Rob Lions designs are derivative I disagree, I think he is uniquely autonomous in his progenesis.
Black

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 am

Black wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:Some of those boards look mega fast and sleek. You can see some of the designs maybe rubbing off on Rob's designs?

If you are saying Rob Lions designs are derivative I disagree, I think he is uniquely autonomous in his progenesis.

Nope - not saying that....I think I can see some subtle like mindedness in there. Nowt wrong with that but hey...what do I know about their backgrounds.
skimmer2

Postby roberdy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 am

Black wrote:

Hmm, Rob was working at Empire last year so some cross-pollination is inevitable, which way it occurs is probably moot, but you can read more about that here http://empiresurfboards.blogspot.com/search/label/Lumus
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:20 pm

puts out a good board like rob one of the better independent shapers out there and take great pride in there work...thumbs up from me.. 8)
mal-nourished

Postby Black » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Sorry about my last comment I was completely drunk & talking gibberish. What a noodle I am. :oops:
Black

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Black wrote:Sorry about my last comment I was completely drunk & talking gibberish. What a noodle I am. :oops:

:-) :wav:
skimmer2

Postby roberdy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Black wrote:Sorry about my last comment I was completely drunk & talking gibberish. What a noodle I am. :oops:

I think you can be excused mate :) hope you had a good bevvy, had a few 16yr old Glenrothes myself last night !
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 pm

I think it was some home made sloe gin that did it (after copious amounts of wine). However I still managed a surf today & am now on the wine again! :roll:
What I can't fathom is the phraseology I use when I've had a few "uniquely autonomous in his progenesis" what the????
Black

Postby Underdog » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Sounds like anoher case of wine flu to me.

(or maybe half a case)
Underdog

Postby flacky » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:46 pm

roberdy wrote:

I think you can be excused mate :) hope you had a good bevvy, had a few 16yr old Glenrothes myself last night !

was she a screamer?
flacky

Postby Werwulf1919 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am

Goat wrote:Stumbled across their website today and their boards look superb on first glance. The 'Lumus' in particular caught my eye. Has anyone ridden one (or similar) and able to give feedback? Their 'Mystery' longboard model looks equally tempting!

http://www.empiresurfboards.com/Boards/the-Lumus.html

http://www.empiresurfboards.com/Boards/the-Mystery.html

I've got a 'Mystery'...one of the best boards i have ever had...goes like a rocket...even with me on it :wink:
Werwulf1919

Postby Goat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Cool werwulf, how does it ride? It looks quite 'performance noserider' esque to me but hard to tell.
Goat

Postby Werwulf1919 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 am

Goat wrote:Cool werwulf, how does it ride? It looks quite 'performance noserider' esque to me but hard to tell.

Yeah it is...really fast and turns sharp but still trims really nice...a sweet, sweet board...i have also a 'Vulcan' model as well which is a old style 9.6 single fin log...glides like the Ark Royal and catches anything above 3 centimetres :lol:
Werwulf1919

Postby royal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:48 pm

roberdy wrote:
Black wrote:

Hmm, Rob was working at Laminations with Steve last year so some cross-pollination is inevitable, which way it occurs is probably moot, but you can read more about that here http://empiresurfboards.blogspot.com/search/label/Lumus

I like Steve.

Steve likes Me.

It is all good...
royal

Postby flacky » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:03 pm

I spoke to Steve Croft on the phone once. Was going to order a board off him as I was concerned about a board I'd ordered elsewhere. Then I saw one of the same on ebay and won it cheap. Told Steve that I wouldn't be putting an order in and why, and heard nothing back. Then got a call asking how I was getting on with the one I bought.

He didn't have to, but obviously takes a lot of pride and interest in his work.

Top man. Stunning boards. UK is blessed with good shapers and glassers at the moment I think.
flacky

Postby browncurtains » Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 am

My 2p worth...........

Been surfing one solid now for months and months and months in owt that trickles down to our shores. From 'glamour' waves to fat beachies.
Ankle snappers to waves where a bit more rail length could of helped my skill level.

not really surfed any other board in all those sessions ............ says allot really.

1:(Normally i think thou shalt surf at least 2x different boards in every other session )

Found its limits and my limits on it. Then a few more sessions and you then end up re writing them.
I would need to 'man up' more for using it on the big points/reef days. But that's why you have a bigger board (skill compensator) in your collection 'in these parts'. Its ability to improve average to junky swell/ chop is where it excels/ standouts, yet it still flys in good waves

2: (Thou did put on weight for winter, yet the board didn't seem to mind... bless)

MR style twin looseness , with a keel like drive. Wide assed easy wave entry, yet does not spin out. Flow with it, linking carves, or as my familiarity (skill) increases just start sticking it anywhere you Can .

3: (Thou has surfed lots of boards, singles , thrusters, twins, keels, quads... .... note* not a twin fin aficionado)

;2)
browncurtains

Postby Goat » Tue May 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Man, that sounds like an amazing combination. Really encouraging stuff. Can i assume down the line speed is awesome too?

Coincicentally, my board has just been finished at Empire. Pics are attached. Cant bloody wait to get a surf on it - hopefully soon, not been in for nearly 2 weeks.
Attachments
daves_lumus_fins.jpg
daves_lumus_fins.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
daves_lumus.jpg
daves_lumus.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Goat

Postby Chai Wallah » Tue May 17, 2011 6:47 pm

I was blessed with getting a pin tail log shaped by Steve with robs input and glasses with a superb resin job by rob royal. Needless to say it is a magic board two years in not a mark on it. However it has created a huge dilemma, who shapes the next board rob or Steve?? I think Rob will get it and then Steve will get a mid length or bonzer next year.
Chai Wallah

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 am

Goat wrote:Man, that sounds like an amazing combination. Really encouraging stuff. Can i assume down the line speed is awesome too?

Coincicentally, my board has just been finished at Empire. Pics are attached. Cant bloody wait to get a surf on it - hopefully soon, not been in for nearly 2 weeks.

Nice! What's it's full dims, ride report when you get it wet would be good... Happy sliding! :-D
buttholesurfer

Postby KSA1 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:00 am

buttholesurfer wrote:
Goat wrote:Man, that sounds like an amazing combination. Really encouraging stuff. Can i assume down the line speed is awesome too?

Nice! What's it's full dims, ride report when you get it wet would be good... Happy sliding! :-D

I was just going to ask the same thing. That looks fantastic, congratulations!
KSA1

Postby Goat » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am

Cheers guys. Will let you know how it goes. Dimensions are 6'0" x 21" x 2 7/8" 18" @ 12" off the tail and 12" from tip to tip in the tail, quite flat in rocker, so i'm hoping it will have really nice wave catching ability and planning.
Goat

Postby Barneyrubble » Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am

Very nice indeed......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Barneyrubble

Postby elhornet » Wed May 18, 2011 12:24 pm

If they could do those with fins that aren't glassed on I'd be all over it. What was the damage?
elhornet

Postby steveo100 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey Goat , thats a nice stick! i love the simple colour scheme . looking forward to the ride report .
steveo100

Postby Goat » Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 pm

elhornet wrote:If they could do those with fins that aren't glassed on I'd be all over it. What was the damage?

£565...but that includes the £45 postage, a full tint and glassed on bamboo fins.
Goat

Postby hedgemonkey » Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 pm

It's a thing of beauty for sure... Just looks like it will ride well.
hedgemonkey

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design