Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Postby Craivold » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Nice report Splinter - was faced with very similar waves Sat afternoon as well and decided not to bother - maybe if I had a Lumus I would have done! Sunday morning was fun though until the crowds and the wind picked up. I think the board looks cool with just a plain finish. I'm glad you mention it planes & picks up waves better than your 5'8 as if I were to go for one I'd want it to have the ability to take off earlier than my Dwart copy 5'8. Nice to get some idea of the sizing as well - seems like a 5'6 still gives plenty of foam for a high wave count :P . May have to dig into the pockets and order one of these badboys.
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby splinter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm

New addition to the family:

quiver.jpg
quiver.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 561 times

Empire Spectro (left) and the Lumus from earlier in the thread, which I've been riding for 5 months 2-3 times a week (haven't ridden anything else).

Spectro dims: 5'10 x 20 1/4 x 2 3/4

Lumus: 5'6 x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8
Last edited by splinter on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splinter

Postby flacky » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 pm

I've got a 6'6 version of that Spectro. Yet to click with it. Nice board, super fun, I just never get on with shorter boards.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby splinter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:23 pm

splinter

Postby steveo100 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Hey Splinter, good to see your stoked on the spectro, looks super fun.
i have been riding the 'Trunk' pretty much all winter and i have to say i nearly sold it in the autumn i just couldn't get on with it ,and then one afternoon it all clicked, i had some of my best back hand waves to date down at Godrevy over the weekend on it,so super stoked!

I'm interesed in what you think of the twinzer set up in bigger heavier surf like we've had over the last month? do you find you've got too much speed, and out run the best section at all ? Having a twinzer is something i've been tempted with for ages and i bumped in to Bro on the weekend and we were talking incut fish with a twinzer set up 8) i should resist temptation but you know how it is !!

cheers steve
steveo100

Postby splinter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm

steveo100 wrote:Hey Splinter, good to see your stoked on the spectro, looks super fun.
i have been riding the 'Trunk' pretty much all winter and i have to say i nearly sold it in the autumn i just couldn't get on with it ,and then one afternoon it all clicked, i had some of my best back hand waves to date down at Godrevy over the weekend on it,so super stoked!

I'm interesed in what you think of the twinzer set up in bigger heavier surf like we've had over the last month? do you find you've got too much speed, and out run the best section at all ? Having a twinzer is something i've been tempted with for ages and i bumped in to Bro on the weekend and we were talking incut fish with a twinzer set up 8) i should resist temptation but you know how it is !!

cheers steve

Hey fella,

What was the problem with the Trunk do you reckon? How are you finding the Choad?

Regarding Twinzers; I can only speak from experience of Steve's boards and whilst it is true that they like to be out on the open face and surf a little more laterally, they do have some other design tweaks going on to rein in the speed a bit. Namely quite a pronounced Hull up front which cuts through the water, providing a connected and controlled feeling that belies the outline and amount of planing surface you have.

I have found that the fins clustered out on the rail offer plenty of hold on steeper sections, where you might think the boards would spin out they don't and just hold really well.

Quite hard to speculate how they would compare to an incut fish as they are pretty different outlines and I would imagine bottom contours are also different.

That doesn't help really does it.......you'll have to try one and see I guess. :lol:
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Sorry for the slow reply i've had alot on lately.

I'm not sure why i didn't click with the 'Trunk' to begin with really, i think it was maybe a combination of things . I didn't ride it until the bigger winter swells hit , i was kind of thinking because it was similar to the choad but bigger i'd just be able to jump on and go but this wasn't the case! My wave count went right down. Maybe because the pin tail has less volume than the wider dimond tail of the choad? The first few surfs i had the fins that came with it in and they're massive so i found it very stiff .Also i was busy at work, september is pretty hectic for us so i hadn't surfed much. But anyway tis' all good now i pick up a set of smaller hex core fins now she a flyer and its got its place in the rack.

Steve at Empire must love you :shock: i see your changing your board again, why so soon? it looks a nice board if i could afford it i'd of had the spectro off you for sure.
steveo100

Postby splinter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 pm

steveo100 wrote:
Steve at Empire must love you :shock: i see your changing your board again, why so soon? it looks a nice board if i could afford it i'd of had the spectro off you for sure.

Yeah tis a lovely board for sure and I've had many great waves on it. Waxed it up again today in-fact and have just had a great surf on it. Just sometimes feels like a bit too much foam for me (I'm relatively short and light) so wishing I'd gone slightly narrower/thinner. Would like to try one in smaller dims.
splinter

Postby browncurtains » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:21 pm

saw this

http://empiresurfboards.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/lumus-for-sale.html

and thought of this thread........................
browncurtains

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design