Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Empire Surfboards: Lumus

Postby Black » Thu May 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Very sweet & interesting looking board Goat.

Only problem is every time someone posts on it, it brings my drunken jibberings back to the top!

Doh!
Black

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Ha! Not any more. It does bring your post referring to your drunken gibbering to the top of this page though....which then piques everyone's curiousity to go back to page 1 to read your drunken gibbering to find out what you were on about.
What a catch 22! :P
You'll now have to keep this thread alive and calculate how not to have the first post on page 3 and still be referring to your :D drunken gibbering!
Not sure how you'll stop everyone else referring to your drunken gibbering as well though. :P
Cuttlefish

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 am

Black wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:Some of those boards look mega fast and sleek. You can see some of the designs maybe rubbing off on Rob's designs?

If you are saying Rob Lions designs are derivative I disagree, I think he is uniquely autonomous in his progenesis.

ATTMFKH

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri May 20, 2011 7:31 am

ATTMFKH wrote:
Black wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:Some of those boards look mega fast and sleek. You can see some of the designs maybe rubbing off on Rob's designs?

If you are saying Rob Lions designs are derivative I disagree, I think he is uniquely autonomous in his progenesis.

One to debate again perhaps - Friday night at midnight lol!
Barneyrubble

Postby Black » Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 am

You bastards! :twisted: :cry: :lol:
Black

Postby Goat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Ok, had 4 sessions on it now. From 2ft mushy windswell to…well 2-3ft clean but fairly weak swell. So not really the best conditions in which to test it. But they’ve certainly given a clear indication of the board’s potential.

It paddles well and certainly catches waves early for a board of its length, better than the B&W puffin I have by a noticeable amount. Popping up is aided by the wide nose, which makes things more stable. I could (probably should) have gone shorter, but hey ho.

Perhaps the most annoying thing ive discovered, and this has nothing to do with the board, concerns the popup. No matter what I do, I always end up with my feet planted on the deck about 1ft apart, i.e. too close together, with both feet being about 6 inches too far forward up the deck. I then shuffle to re-adjust, which of course means vital speed is lost from those initial split seconds and in faster waves it means a lot of botched popups (this has been the case for years and it’s just bad habit). Im going to keep working on it as it will transform my surfing I reckon.

It’s fast. Even in 2ft clean, albeit weak waves today it was capable of a bit of run down the line. When sections flatten out, most shortboards would slow to a stop, get into a crouched position with weight over the nose however and the board will accelerate away into trim nicely, which has come in handy a number of times. forehand floaters and re entries as the wave is closing out are super fun, the board just floats down like a flying carpet.

It seems to surf best when you engage the rail and fins in more of an arcing/drawn out turn, where you can really feel the drive and projection, rather than in twitchy tight turns. Force it into a tighter turn however and that drive no longer seems as pronounced and I find myself off the back of the wave, or at the top of the wave having lost my speed (again, more to do with my skill level than the board). As Browncurtains has mentioned, early indications to me suggest that it will thrive on smooth, linked carves, picking up ridiculous speed. Of course, before being used to the board, not to mention using it in mere 2ft surf, this isn’t easy. I’m also pretty certain that the board will handle tight turns, more force etc when conditions allow and my standard improves. I really really cant wait to take this out on a 3-4ft clean day, I have high hopes for it. Backside ive not had any great rides yet but i suspect that when the waves allow - 3ft+. it will show its true colours.

Anyway, will update after a few more sessions. Early indications though - great.
Goat

Postby cproctor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Looks like a sweet board buddy - I'll keep my eyes peeled for u at rest . sounds similar to my royal simzer in many respects - so must be good !
cproctor

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Goat - good that the board looks like it will do you for a good while to come....cracking looking board too.

Should have my new toy tomorrow...a sponge. :-)
skimmer2

Postby browncurtains » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:04 am

Goat wrote:I’m also pretty certain that the board will handle tight turns,

they sure do
:D
browncurtains

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 am

That board looks unreal and the fact that you can get those custom bamboo fins with it for the price you paid is pretty impressive. Goo d ride report, too. Keep it coming 8)

PS - quick tip with regards to your feet: Try taking off and 'forgetting' your back foot. By that, I mean concentrate on just pulling your front foot underneath you and placing it on the deck rather than thinking 'right - I've gotta stand up now'. You will find your back foot will naturally find it's way to the tail area (hopefully!). Watch pros like Jamie O and Slater when they pigdog on their backside (or either way in JOB's case). They don't even 'pop' up, they just bring their front foot up underneath their chests. This has two benefits; low C of G for more control and loaded leg energy which is ready to be used for driving a bottom turn if needed.
Archy_is_God

Postby Goat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Archy, will bear that in mind next time im out.
Goat

Postby royal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Steve makes great boards, strives for perfection, and is stoked on this concept.

He's really good at taking inspiration from a certain design, and adding his own twist to it.

He's very refreshing in an industry that is basically a circle jerk of copycats all trying to make a buck....
royal

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:27 am

"circle jerk" - :lol: :lol: :lol:
skimmer2

Postby Craivold » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 am

Wanted to bring this thread back for a couple of reasons;

1) Goat - its been a year on, how you finding this thing of beauty these days?
As usual I'm around a year behind everyone else in discovering a sexy shape and I want to know whether you're still mad keen on it.

2) Black - 'uniquely autonomous in his progenesis'.....?!! I struggle to be that eloquent when
I'm fully fresh and driven by caffeine let alone half cut, think I need to buy some of your gin.

:-)
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Craivold wrote:Wanted to bring this thread back for a couple of reasons;

1) Goat - its been a year on, how you finding this thing of beauty these days?
As usual I'm around a year behind everyone else in discovering a sexy shape and I want to know whether you're still mad keen on it.

2) Black - 'uniquely autonomous in his progenesis'.....?!! I struggle to be that eloquent when
I'm fully fresh and driven by caffeine let alone half cut, think I need to buy some of your gin.

:-)

Might be of interest Craivoid?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35488
skimmer2

Postby Craivold » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Funnily enough it was that article that piqued my interest in this shape! I definitely like the shaper's ethos and his leaning towards boards that can glide as well as be responsive. At the moment my quiver is a 6'3 HPSB, 5'10 Speed Dialer & a 5'8 Dwart copy and I'm thinking the Lumus could be the board to help me get more from my surfing as I like the glide of the dialer, the control of the shortboard and the versatility of the dwart- maybe the Lumus possesses all those qualities in a nice balance (from what I have read). I'd also like to try something hully so that aspect appeals too.

So Goat and any other Lumus pilots I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Craivold

Postby splinter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:39 am

Craivold wrote:Funnily enough it was that article that piqued my interest in this shape! I definitely like the shaper's ethos and his leaning towards boards that can glide as well as be responsive. At the moment my quiver is a 6'3 HPSB, 5'10 Speed Dialer & a 5'8 Dwart copy and I'm thinking the Lumus could be the board to help me get more from my surfing as I like the glide of the dialer, the control of the shortboard and the versatility of the dwart- maybe the Lumus possesses all those qualities in a nice balance (from what I have read). I'd also like to try something hully so that aspect appeals too.

So Goat and any other Lumus pilots I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I went through pretty much the same thought process. I've also got a board that is a bit "Dwarty" (5'8) plus something a bit more "shortboardy" (6'2)

I've been itching to try a Lumus for a while, I have a hunch it will suit me very well if his description rings true, so finally succumbed 6 weeks back and ordered a 5'6 x 20 3/4 from Steve.

I last spoke with him a couple of weeks back and it was pretty much ready then so I should be picking it up from him in the next week or 2, when I can get myself down to Cornwall.

I also like the look of the recently re-designed "Spectro" on his blog. 8)
splinter

Postby Goat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am

Hi, just to give you an update on the lumus after having it a fair while: -

Unfortunately I’ve not been in the water for 5 weeks due to starting a new job, busy weekends etc. Shocking. Anyway, up until then it remained great. It’s also been a rather confusing experience, as try and jam the board in sudden directions, in a more progressive fashion and your ride will tend to suffer as a result, bogged rails etc. It definitely rewards smooth, flowing movements. Backside is especially confusing because bottom turns never feel like they did on my old boards (B&W puffin, which is pretty much identical to the dwart, or mccoy nugget). Those boards offered a far more ‘pivotal’ arc, with shorter radius. Whereas the lumus offers far far more drive. As a result you get bags of forward projection while going through the turn, meaning that carves tend to be fast and drawn out rather than quick, concise arcs like on a dwart. However, here is the paradox; it’s also very loose, but only when done right. It’s not a skatey, twitchy looseness like with a dwart, but more of a ‘get your weight set correctly over the fins/rail, then the board will whip right round’. In other words, it’s not the easiest board to surf by any means and if you have a very shortboard, aggressive style, it may take considerable adjustment. But, it can be jammed right round when needed and when controlled properly.

Which in a way gives it the best of both worlds I suppose. Wave entry is relatively easy, there is glide there, there is looooads of drive when on a rail with your weight set correctly, it’s very fast, it tends to surf much more laterally than a dwart (I like lots of run down the line personally, so it suits me), but then offers beautiful carving when done right. In fact, when a ride ‘clicks’ and everything falls into place on a wave, it’s magical. I don’t surf enough to get the most out of it, meaning that these rides are relatively few and far between. A 20 second ride at 4-5ft Boilers in morocco springs to mind. The speed down the line was eye watering, compressing and extending, with fast flowing carves, a cut back into a bottom turn and then a ‘hull-like’ dropped knee high line cruise along the top of the wave.

On steeper, faster waves though, im not sure id trust the lumus, it doesn’t tend to dig in as well and would be even more lateral. But that’s when youd look to a more performance board anyway I suppose.

A couple of times I stepped back onto a board like the dwart and it just felt wrong. There was just no forward momentum and run down the line compared to the lumus, it was twitchy and loose, but it felt more like a struggle, bogging far more and simply put, just not being as fun.

So yeah, give it a go.
Goat

Postby Goat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am

Hi, just to give you an update on the lumus after having it a fair while: -

Unfortunately I’ve not been in the water for 5 weeks due to starting a new job, busy weekends etc. Shocking. Anyway, up until then it remained great. It’s also been a rather confusing experience, as try and jam the board in sudden directions, in a more progressive fashion and your ride will tend to suffer as a result, bogged rails etc. It definitely rewards smooth, flowing movements. Backside is especially confusing because bottom turns never feel like they did on my old boards (B&W puffin, which is pretty much identical to the dwart, or mccoy nugget). Those boards offered a far more ‘pivotal’ arc, with shorter radius. Whereas the lumus offers far far more drive. As a result you get bags of forward projection while going through the turn, meaning that carves tend to be fast and drawn out rather than quick, concise arcs like on a dwart. However, here is the paradox; it’s also very loose, but only when done right. It’s not a skatey, twitchy looseness like with a dwart, but more of a ‘get your weight set correctly over the fins/rail, then the board will whip right round’. In other words, it’s not the easiest board to surf by any means and if you have a very shortboard, aggressive style, it may take considerable adjustment. But, it can be jammed right round when needed and when controlled properly.

Which in a way gives it the best of both worlds I suppose. Wave entry is relatively easy, there is glide there, there is looooads of drive when on a rail with your weight set correctly, it’s very fast, it tends to surf much more laterally than a dwart (I like lots of run down the line personally, so it suits me), but then offers beautiful carving when done right. In fact, when a ride ‘clicks’ and everything falls into place on a wave, it’s magical. I don’t surf enough to get the most out of it, meaning that these rides are relatively few and far between. A 20 second ride at 4-5ft Boilers in morocco springs to mind. The speed down the line was eye watering, compressing and extending, with fast flowing carves, a cut back into a bottom turn and then a ‘hull-like’ dropped knee high line cruise along the top of the wave.

On steeper, faster waves though, im not sure id trust the lumus, it doesn’t tend to dig in as well and would be even more lateral. But that’s when youd look to a more performance board anyway I suppose.

A couple of times I stepped back onto a board like the dwart and it just felt wrong. There was just no forward momentum and run down the line compared to the lumus, it was twitchy and loose, but it felt more like a struggle, bogging far more and simply put, just not being as fun.

So yeah, give it a go.
Goat

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 am

Good stuff Goat!
Cuttlefish

Postby Craivold » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 am

Cheers for the latest report on the Lumus Goat sounds like you still love it even though you've not had much chance to put it through its paces recently - I'm in the same boat really as been spending all my time facilitating a move from Southampton to N Devon, getting settled in now though so looking forward to getting out much more often from now on. I've been looking for a nice balance between shortboard and Speed Dialer for a while and I thought the Dwart was it - I've only had a handful of sessions on it in mostly small waves and it is more shortboardish in the way it surfs than I thought it would be - that lack of glide/speed/drive feeling when compared with a fish type shape. I have enjoyed it and certainly want to keep it in the quiver for the time being but don't think it's quite what I was looking for.

The Speed Dialer has tonnes of lateral speed but I've always found it slow to turn, almost reluctant feeling at times (but this could be because it's perhaps slightly too big for me 5'10), and it sounds as though the Lumus may be a little more responsive in that respect so could be the one. That's another thing to consider - sizing - sounds as though you need to be going a couple of inches shorter thant your short & wide groveller type board with this shape?

splinter wrote:I went through pretty much the same thought process. I've also got a board that is a bit "Dwarty" (5'8) plus something a bit more "shortboardy" (6'2)

I've been itching to try a Lumus for a while, I have a hunch it will suit me very well if his description rings true, so finally succumbed 6 weeks back and ordered a 5'6 x 20 3/4 from Steve.

I last spoke with him a couple of weeks back and it was pretty much ready then so I should be picking it up from him in the next week or 2, when I can get myself down to Cornwall.

I also like the look of the recently re-designed "Spectro" on his blog. 8)

Splinter - sounds like we have a very similar set of boards and in the same area. You got down to Cornwall to pick up your Lumus yet? I'll go get it for you if you like and try it out on the way back - let you know how it goes :wink: . Seriously though it would be good to take a look at it when you get your mitts on it so let us have a report when you can.
Craivold

Postby Goat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:10 pm

You can definitely go quite short. They are by no means as wide as a mini simmons, so dont go crazy short. But certainly a few inches shorter than a normal shortboard. I got mine at 6' because I wasnt that confident in my ability at the time. But I think I could easily have gone 5'10 and perhaps 5'8 without too much trouble. It's a board which relies on a short rail line due to how paralell the rails are, so main thing is just not to go too long!
Goat

Postby splinter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Craivold wrote:Splinter - sounds like we have a very similar set of boards and in the same area. You got down to Cornwall to pick up your Lumus yet? I'll go get it for you if you like and try it out on the way back - let you know how it goes :wink: . Seriously though it would be good to take a look at it when you get your mitts on it so let us have a report when you can.

No I've not been down yet. :roll: Some weird delay going on with the factory not having a Lokbox jig for routing the fin boxes. I decided to have the rear fins removable for travel and wanted Lokbox (they normally go with FCS, I'm heavily biased towards Lokbox).

I've asked for it to be sorted in 8 days time (Fri 31st) as we are visiting friends in Cornwall and will be driving past the factory.

Will post up some pics and impressions once I've got it.
splinter

Postby splinter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

Have checked with the factory and it's ready, 9 weeks is quite a while to wait for a new board!

Collecting Friday morning on our way down through Cornwall. Hopefully enough swell left over for a waist high session somewhere straight away, pesky North winds though.......guess I'll head south for a look first, fingers crossed. :-D
Last edited by splinter on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splinter

Postby Craivold » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm

9 weeks :shock: That is quite a wait - hopefully she'll be worth it though - let us know how it goes. Very tempted by one of these.
Craivold

Postby splinter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Picked up the Lumus last Friday:

lumus.jpg
lumus.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 455 times

5'6 x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8
Quite a pronounced hull entry, rails are pretty thinned out, bonzer concaves create almost like a spiral vee through the back end. Went for a plain sanded finish for ease of repair.

Bit early for a comprehensive report as have only surfed it twice, but initial feelings are very positive. My first impression was - it's fooking massive! I wasn't quite prepared for how wide the tail was gonna be, there is a lot of foam so going short is advisable. Having emailed Steve my details he suggested either a 5'4 x 21 or a 5'6 x 20 3/4. I decided on the 5'6 on the basis of it being slightly narrower. I think I made the right choice.

Croyde at high tide on Monday morning, waist to chest-ish high, fairly weak swell but had quite a hoot! Paddles very well and seems to be duck-dive-able (not sure how that would work out when it pushes overhead mind). Once up and riding it feels surprisingly agile, without any twitchiness and I soon forgot how wide the tail is if that makes sense.

It feels kind of similar in ways to my 5'8 "Dwarty" board, which I have set up as a quad, but where that board feels a bit like a skimming stone, this sits slightly deeper in the water, giving a lovely fluid sense of control, with the same effortless speed.

It's definitely a keeper, now looking forward to testing it in a bit more juice over the winter.

I'm also spending a week in Morocco early Dec, have to decide which board to take with me as I suspect 2 boards will exceed the (new) easyjet weight restrictions. It's between the Lumus and my Diplock 6'2 rounded pin..... :?:
splinter

Postby Goat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Looks great in plain without a spray.

Glad youre getting on well with it, look forward to reading an updated report in due course.
Goat

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 am

Luuuurvly! Sounds like just the ticket :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby splinter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Quick session yesterday (sat) lunchtime, Cgate, weak, sloppy, onshore waist high :lol:

Wouldn't normally bother to be honest but there's nothing quite like having a new board to spur you on to get out there.

Somehow had loads of waves and more fun than should be possible, given the conditions. More or less catches any ripple and gets planing way earlier than my other boards. Made the choppy waves feel somehow clean, if that makes sense. Where you can feel the concaves "slapping" against the chop on my other boards, this cuts through it like a warm knife through butter. Now I understand what Steve means by "flys in the mush".

Has a lovely free-running, slippery feel yet still feels "connected" in ways I'm not accustomed to, with no need to carve or pump for speed.

I had a feeling this board would suit me (very average surfer) and it turns out I was right. Was put off initially by it being a bit left-field but now my only regret is not ordering one sooner!

Very much looking forward to some lined-up, clean, punchy waves, preferably around chest to head high please! :-)
splinter

Postby Leedsol » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm

nice report
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design