The 2+1 and Widowmaker discussion

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: The 2+1 and Widowmaker discussion

Postby Philshoz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Airboy808 wrote:Just scored this Wayne Lynch Evo Fun.

waynelynch.jpg

and these fins

photo.JPG

I have a set of these fins, came off a Wayne Lynch that I shnapppped!!!

PM if interested guys......................
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 am

Poo Stance wrote:
Archy_is_God wrote:you may miss out on that slight forward foil thing which adds to the flow and 'pull' you get into waves

Nice 1 Archy, if only I knew what that meant. :? If I ever get to give this a go I'll let you know my thoughts though. :-D

Well I finally got to try out a pair of tiny sides which i picked up on ebay for pittance. Put them in my Rusty Piranha 6'6" with a FCS GR centre fin. Waves were shoulder to head and wally windless glass peeling lush for 100 yards or so. I can now say I don't think I'm ever gonna surf it without the sides again. I haven't surfed the board in a while because my singlefin love affair has meant she's been shunned. However, with the new sides in it's like she's learned a few new tricks and has easily done enough to turn my head when it comes to future board selection.

Usually on the Piranha I get hung up in the lip loads or when I try to cutback I just bog the outside rail. Plainly it's more down to ability than board as others rip on them. However, for me, with the sides in, not once did I fail or fall when I wanted to put the board back down the face, she flowed through the turn with ease keeping me riding and smiling. I did find I lost a wee bit of ability to gain speed when I wanted it. But maybe that's down to me surfing the single so much recently. But I do remember the Piranha gaining more speed when I pushed down into the wave. Not really too sure why this is, so maybe it was just me being crap. Anyway, total stokage and I think my singlefin needs to be a bit worried as maybe the honeymoon period is over.

Anyway, out of all the fin combos I've tried on this board this is easily the one that fells the most comfortable. :-D If only the board wasn't a piece of beaten up sh*t already.
Poo Stance

Postby The Decorator » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 am

Fuck fuck fuck...

Haven't even even glassed the board I've shaped yet and couldn't resist this.

6'6 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8

Hand foiled fins too.
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby surfrat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 am

look lush for a nice point break!
still not using my single fin i bought, kinda realised we don't have the nice point waves here that'd really do it justice....not the board for weak beachies
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am

Nice board Decorator.. Is it a Neal P?

Surfrat - considered pitting some fcs side plugs in your single at all? You may be surprised how well it will work
Archy_is_God

Postby surfrat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 am

there's lots of vee thru the tail....will it work with sideys?
but yeah it could be an option to turn it into more of a fun board
i struggle with single fin on my backhand to be honest...feels very stiff
surfrat

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

It'll work for sure, just a different feel.

If you don't want to stick sideys in, then play with a few different single templates/flex patterns.

BTW - a 1/4" inch adjustment back and forth in the box can make a big difference (ooeer missus :lol: )
Archy_is_God

Postby The Decorator » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:25 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Nice board Decorator.. Is it a Neal P?

Sure is. Friend of mine picked up the 7'0 that's on npj's blog (shaped with rich pavel, orange foam insert stringer) and I stupidly went with him to pick it up. Still it meant we had double bargaining power :-) Need some waves now. Longest flatspell I've experienced on the coast so far!
The Decorator

Postby shackattack2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Nice!
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby VillageIdiot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:25 am

Tasty 6'10" widowmaker for sale at Gulf Stream at the moment. Looks to be hardly used with sweet orange tint. Unfortunately the owner has stuck a door mat on it. Think they want about £450ish.
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby The Decorator » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 am

Few more photos of my NPJ 6'6 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8

First surf on it this morning in waist to shoulder high beachy with a few good banks.

Loved it. Caught waves sooo easy (usual ride is a 5'6 Hypto Krypto) Makes you thing alot more about where you need to be on a wave to tap the power as you don't get that drive of the bottom like a thruster. Lengthens out turns and makes me feel like growing a moustache.

Surfed my board a few times aswell and am pretty happy with it. First surf was a shocker, thought I'd shaped a dog but next day moved fin back an inch and it was a completely different board, looking forward to some juise for mine as it's pretty foiled out with pinched rails.

and mine

The Decorator

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 am

Time to get this thread going again...with a bit of carbon fibre and 2+1 action.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attached to my new (used) reef runner 9'er.

Cuttlefish

Postby topher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm

iv just got a lovely 7'1" empire surfboards #9 widowmaker tookit out today for the first time at good size clean woolacombe .....its sooo good , i cant wait to try it out in bigger an hollower conditions it goes so well :-D ...
topher

Postby Kirk3 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Cuttle,
that thing is epic- hell of a lot of carbon cloth going on there. I definitely like the look of those DVS fins too. There's a DVS fish in my kid's bedroom now, picked up from an LA guy for Chris in Hawaii who's in turn holding this for me:
parmy3.jpg
parmy3.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 393 times

parmy2.jpg
parmy2.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 393 times

download-3.jpg
download-3.jpg (153.16 KiB) Viewed 393 times

I have no desire to actually surf the thing in the waves it's intended for, but it'll be a good NorCal board I hope and it was an insanely good deal!
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Wow, that's kicked the thread into action again!

Cuttle - you had a 8ft DVS before, right? Similar kind of thing? Looks like it would make a great one board quiver.

Kirk - either that's a really a short person standing behind an unusually narrow board or it's a proper gun! 8 foot plus maybe??? BTW - how did that 6'8 Parmenter go from the previous page?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Topher - pics please, you know the drill :D
Archy_is_God

Postby VillageIdiot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm

www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby topher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 pm

1361306425209.jpg
1361306425209.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 384 times

Got it from jonnyswan1980 ....iv been after one for ages and love steves boards (I also have a '510"single fin he made me a few years ago ) sorry about my poor show at not posting a pic straight away :-D
topher

Postby topher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

1361306776798.jpg
1361306776798.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 384 times
...thought you might like to see the other one too ..
topher

Postby surfrat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 am

i got dibs on that 6'3 on ebay. please please please!! if i get it i might need your fins philshoz...
surfrat

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 am

The back story behind how I acquired the DVS is a good one...
Took it out for a run in knee to chest high waves the next morning after I got it at at Snapper rocks and had an absolute blast on it.
Weird thing is I'd been emailing Dick about having him shape me a new carbon fibre board.
Was looking at a synthesis of his reef runner and all rounder models.
Drove down to the Gold coast yesterday morning and was near his shaping bay when I thought I'll drop into the one shop that carries his boards further up the road.
Walk in and there's a good assortment of fish, micro mals and so on in the racks.
Then as I look over towards the longboards I spy the unmistakable black sheen of one of Dick's carbon fibre boards in amongst the new boards.
The tail is what really catches my eye...wicked pintail.
I have a look over it and there's no price on it. It's a used one so I ask the owner of the shop what's the story?
He had literally put it into the rack 40 mins beforehand.
He normally doesn't sell the carbon boards, either new or secondhand.
But the ding repairer who does work for his shop had asked him to sell it.
It's a reef runner which is for good sized and hollower waves as the name suggests.
It doesn't have a lot of nose rocker but a good kick in the tail.
Still went great in the small stuff though.
It's one of Dick's ex-personal boards and so has a tighter weave carbon cloth than his production cf boards (bonus).
Couldn't believe my luck.
The chances of finding a second hand carbon reef runner let alone of Dick's personal boards is ridiculous. To roll up within minutes of it going in the rack is even more remote.
Of course carting a black carbon fibre board around on the roof racks without a cover is not a great idea.
While looking over the board I'd spied a white cover (better than silver) which look used, in the store room near the doorway which hand a sarong curtain across it.
I asked about if it was available and it belonged to the owner of the board too. A quick call from the surfshop and he agreed to throw it in for an extra $20.
Problem solved.
The planets must have been in alignment.
Deal was struck.
Stoked!
Noosa was 4-6' (surf reports called it 6-8') yesterday and it will be pumping again tomorrow so it's going for a run out there.
Update: Just got back from Noosa and the swell had dropped from yesterdays levels but Tea tree was still working, esp the mid-end sections.
Walked on around to Granite and though the crowd was 30 plus it was still easy enough to get waves.
3-4' with the odd bigger ones and glassy.
Plenty of sets still coming through so I took the option of sitting wide as I wasn't too keen on getting smashed by the bigger ones while sitting on the inside.
Had the set of the day mow every single person in the line up down with plenty to spare.
Quite novel trying to roll a 9'er under 6' plus of whitewater when not used to it.
Looks like it's on again tomorrow.
Cuttlefish

Postby russneversleeps » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 am

surfrat wrote:i got dibs on that 6'3 on ebay. please please please!! if i get it i might need your fins philshoz...

Central London pick up?

Sounds like too much hassle. Yes, I'd definitely give it a miss.

The Evolution website is hilarious. Check it out. You don't want to be associated with that kind of nonsense...
russneversleeps

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 am

That's classic Cuttlefish, sounds like the best score I've heard in a long while! (Although a $500 5'8" Frye a mate acquired in Hawaii was pretty good too.) It really looks like it'd be a great all-rounder, the shape makes a lot of sense- it'll be a rocket in a good sized wave definitely!

Archy- good call- it's an 8'6", no idea of the other dims! Chris said it's pretty epic, seriously foiled out in the nose and sporting some hard rails at the back. The 6'8" has been getting worked into the rotation a bit more of late, not had it on a wave I'd like to have it on, but a couple of sessions that involved punchy closeouts and a willingness to take a few on the head were very promising. It felt like it was charging into the waves and was really rock solid. I've surfed the asym the last month or two, but there were a couple of days I wished I'd brought the widow- not so much because the asym wasn't working (although there were a few sessions with enough texture on the water that EPS didn't seem like the best idea) but because the waves felt like they'd have been fun on the other board.
Kirk3

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 am

But wait...there's more...The other weird thing is while I'm out at Snapper a young guy asks me about my board and I look at the fish he's riding and it's a very, very early DVS carbon rocket fish with glass on flex keels.
He asks if it's hollow?
I reply, "it's just like the rocket fish you're riding".
It belonged to his mate who he'd just given a ride to the airport (from Byron) and in exchange was allowed to borrow the fish.
When he flipped it over it was one of the ones that had a glassed on tiny keel in the centre and I had one just the same many years ago.
They only made a few with the glass on centre keel before deciding it wasn't necessary and just made twins.
Again the chances of seeing this board was like picking a needle out of a haystack.
He's from Byron and I'm from the Sunshine coast.
Dropped in to say Hi to Dick later in the day after I picked the board up and he's currently working on a line of balsa boards in most of his models.
Asked him if he wanted to see his old board and he replied "Nah" and kept on telling me about what he's up to.
Classic laconic DVS.
He's made a couple of funky bellyboards for his wife and daughter which his daughter has done some groovey artwork on.
Apparently they surf well standing up too.
No doubt they'll be on show at the Fish fry coming up this very weekend.
The Gold coast is a dangerous place for me and my wallet.
This time worked out well as I sold a McTavish scooter on Ebay to pay for the DVS.
Literally had the call from the buyer (who was from Byron) while on my way home. Buyer picked the board that evening as they were on their way to Noosa for the weekend.
So I got the DVS for the exact same price I sold the scooter for and paid an extra $20 for the board bag.
Not a bad little quiver re-shuffle.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

russneversleeps wrote:
surfrat wrote:i got dibs on that 6'3 on ebay. please please please!! if i get it i might need your fins philshoz...

Central London pick up?

Sounds like too much hassle. Yes, I'd definitely give it a miss.

The Evolution website is hilarious. Check it out. You don't want to be associated with that kind of nonsense...

I smell a rat :wink:

If you want a 2+1/Widow that is more closely related to a standard thruster, then you could do a lot worse than the Lynch Evos, they are great boards that surf well vertically while having a lot of flow.
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Cuttle - sounds like lady luck was smiling on you!

Kirk - that gun is scary :shock: You still have that Matt Moore as well?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Someone got a bargain - was it any of you lot???
Archy_is_God

Postby surfrat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

no wasn't me. didn't wanna go over £150 cos i'd a had to buy fins etc
surfrat

Postby Kirk3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Cuttle, that's a great story- the planets aligned or your karma was good or something! I've only had a couple of DVS boards actually in my hands, but they seem super intuitive designs. Certainly can't hurt having Rasta as a test pilot as well!
Archy, yeah- the gun is silly. It hopefully (for my health anyway) won't get near the waves it's built for, but on the bigger days here or at a certain Central Cal creek that I seem to score good way more than I should, it'll get some water time. I do still have the Matt Moore which is more of a giant big guy short board than this pintail, but it's great ride. I've had a few of those waves that leave you grinning like a moron for a day or two on it at the aforementioned creek.
That Lynch was a deal- his design, probably ghost shaped by Tim Griffin who's an amazing shaper. Poor old Lynchy, that Evo thing quickly turned into a nightmare. He & Brian Bulkley were the original shapers and suddenly the company repositioned itself to sell obscenely expensive boards and skin care products (!?!) The boards are basically giveaways for celebs and Teen Choice awards and the likes of Jim Belushi and Spongebob are 'team' members! The website is totally worth checking out, I'm amazed they're still around. I don't think Lynch's name is on there anywhere and there's a lot of talk about 'hand crafted' without a single shaper's name mentioned. They will build you a mother of pearl board though.
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

For the UK crew - there is one of the first Fluid Juice Widows that Adrian must have shaped up for sale in the Board Barn, Braunton. It's a 6'10" with glass-ons, currently £195. Worth a look if you are curious....
Archy_is_God

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design