The 2+1 and Widowmaker discussion

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: The 2+1 and Widowmaker discussion

Postby Kirk3 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Archy's comment on the 'what board to buy' thread nudged me into action on this- a recent score that I just couldn't pass up- 6'8" Parmenter widowmaker, like new
parm1.jpg
parm1.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

parm2.jpg
parm2.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

parm4.jpg
parm4.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

Full on diamond tail square deck downrail madness, I'm absolutely frothing over this one, only problem is it's in Hawaii- a mate there (who's just bought boards from Royal, Mackie and Tomo- he's the most surf stoked guy ever) was offered it as a trade and figured I might want it, which I did. When it lands over here I'll post a few more shots of it, but he said it looks like it'd been ridden maybe once, not even the standard deck pressure dings.
Last edited by Kirk3 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Score!

What an outline, too - not to narrow. Lovely.

Interesting rails, like the full bevel down rails I had on my 1st ever board (which was, spookily, a 6'6 single!)
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Gents - been reading through this thread and wondering what you reckon a 8ft windowmaker would ride like? I notice Fluid Juice go up to 8ft 2 in their widowmaker which is the length of board that I like. What do you reckon for an intermediate who doesn't get out much and is on the wrong side of 40 :-)
skimmer2

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:49 pm

They work well in big sizes IMO.

Have a word with Adrian and see what he reckons.

I think Kirk has or used to have a chunky Matt Moore Widow
Archy_is_God

Postby VillageIdiot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Were some pics of Richard Kenvin riding some long widows in TSP a while back. He seems to rate them.
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby Kirk3 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Skimmer,
at 8' the thing will certainly paddle really nicely! My big board is 7'6", bit of a monster for the sizable beach break days and trips to Central Cal but I've ridden it in everything from chest high on up and it's been a blast although damn near impossible to duck dive. They are a board designed to go down the line fast so at that size you'd want a wave that stays open, but it'd be a really functional board. The Fluid Juice shapes that I've seen on here look really nice, he knows what he's doing with the shape so I don't think you could go much wrong.
Kirk3

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Kirk3 wrote:Skimmer,
at 8' the thing will certainly paddle really nicely! My big board is 7'6", bit of a monster for the sizable beach break days and trips to Central Cal but I've ridden it in everything from chest high on up and it's been a blast although damn near impossible to duck dive. They are a board designed to go down the line fast so at that size you'd want a wave that stays open, but it'd be a really functional board. The Fluid Juice shapes that I've seen on here look really nice, he knows what he's doing with the shape so I don't think you could go much wrong.

thanks Kirk - kind of not sure really....long open waves are pretty rare. When you say functional you mean surfable in all sorts due to the size? Actually - looking at the design on Fluid Juice's website it isn't a million miles away from my speed egg....just a tad thinner and the nose is pulled in quite a bit more. Sure that's not only the difference of course.
skimmer2

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Hey Skimmer,
personally if I'm surfing dumpier beach break waves I tend to want something smaller and more geared towards being turned hard, but as there's guys out in those same waves on longboards a lot of the time so obviously it has more to do with what you're comfortable riding lengthwise. The widowmakers are geared more for bigger surf, but as I say I've ridden mine in all sorts of stuff- it's really just a big guy shortboard I suppose and I enjoy that. One of the best sessions I've had on the 7'6" was in barely chest high and soft waves- all that board under me meant paddling into waves was easy, I was getting in early and had room to move, and usually could set up to end with a little throttle open run as the wave hit an inside sandbar and sped up as well as hollowing out. Only issue was the last section was an inescapable closeout, and it felt like that was a lot of board to be rolling around in a shallow closeout with! Great design, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with at least a 2+1 setup if not a full widowmaker.
Kirk3

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 am

Kirk3 wrote:Hey Skimmer,
personally if I'm surfing dumpier beach break waves I tend to want something smaller and more geared towards being turned hard, but as there's guys out in those same waves on longboards a lot of the time so obviously it has more to do with what you're comfortable riding lengthwise. The widowmakers are geared more for bigger surf, but as I say I've ridden mine in all sorts of stuff- it's really just a big guy shortboard I suppose and I enjoy that. One of the best sessions I've had on the 7'6" was in barely chest high and soft waves- all that board under me meant paddling into waves was easy, I was getting in early and had room to move, and usually could set up to end with a little throttle open run as the wave hit an inside sandbar and sped up as well as hollowing out. Only issue was the last section was an inescapable closeout, and it felt like that was a lot of board to be rolling around in a shallow closeout with! Great design, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with at least a 2+1 setup if not a full widowmaker.

Spoke to Adrian - he said a 7ft 6 widowmaker would be a very versatile board but likes a steeper wave to get them going. Reckoned since my surfing is mainly on flatter waves he reckoned a hull would keep me smiling.
skimmer2

Postby Kirk3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Skimmer,
never a bad alternative! Mackie has been really into the stub/hull shapes lately, he's been tweaking them a little as the central NSW breaks are a little more punchy than the usual spots people ride hulls at, but he loves them and has a solid local crew riding them both as singles and 2+1's. I have this thing he made sitting in my spare room right now:
stub.jpg
stub.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Luckily he did a s a single otherwise I would have ridden it I think! Looks like there's some swell coming here so I'll have the new widow in the water later this week. Finally.
Kirk3

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Kirk - a bit more detail needed on the above..looks a great shape.
skimmer2

Postby timpebe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Would appreciate a bit of guidance. Thinking about getting a widowmaker in addition to 6.3 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2 Quiver BumbleBart and 6.4 x 20 1/4 x 2 5/8 and 7.2 x 22 x 3 Quiver Retro Eggs 2+1.

Really enjoy riding the Retro Eggs but they have their limits. Use the BumbleBart once it get's really good (or too hard work on the Egg). Looking for same kind of flow as Retro Egg but something that will handle heavier conditions more easily. It will be Egg in small to medium, BumbleBart in medium to bigger dumpy beachbreak kind of conditions and Widowmaker in medium (2-3ft) and bigger well overhead walled up conditions.

75kg, 178cm and somewhat front oriented. Like a bit of length to get in early, struggle with too much volume in rails (e.g. really do not get on with Retro Fishes). Thinking of 6.5 x 20 x 2 1/2 rounded pin, beaknose, wide point forward flattish rocker, modern rails and bottom and some vee in tail to keep nose out of trouble. Very much like Archy_is_God 's Diplock in 1st post.

Any suggestions, thoughts, considerations?
timpebe

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Don't worry about trying to squeeze it in somewhere in the quiver too much, you will probably find that the Widow is such a versatile board that you may grab it just when you feel like it in all sorts of conditions.

6'5" Diplock could be good, but don't be afraid to go little bigger, maybe even 6'7"....
Archy_is_God

Postby timpebe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 am

Sounds good. Any experience feedback on NinePlus Marmadillo or Skindog Transformer models?
timpebe

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread so sorry if it's a bit of a diverge.

Just wondering if anyones tried to faux 2+1 their thrusters. I'm loving my singlefin lately but it seems a bit limited on sucky sections (or maybe it's me thats both limited and sucky). Been keen to try one of these 2+1 for a while now but chances it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

So I'm wondering about chucking some small sides on my 6'6 Piranha and even maybe trying to get a large FSC centre (PG7/8?).

Anyone ever done anything like this or got any thoughts on how this might go?

I've swapped the fins around a wee bit or the board over time. Rode it as a twin at N Bay and loved it. But it sucked ass at twice the size on the Lizard as I couldn't hold it off the bottom. I've found I consistently surf it better with Rusty fins in rather than the G5 it came with. And I've mixed it up with G3000 and some T Carroll red jobbies and found that I prefer it so far with a small middle fin as opposed to bigger centre. But I'd like to give it a go with a nice shaped bigger middle and tiny sides.

So, also, anyone got any cheap sides going or a massive centre with FCS tabs? Or know where I can get one? Whats the chances of ripping the plugs out with a big fin?

Again, apologies if this is too far off topic.

:-D
Poo Stance

Postby dixie » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

check out the 6,10 widowmaker for sale in this link
its new and a belter ta boot

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34453

there was alot of ££££ tied up in this one
dixie

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice stick Dixie

Poo - I think Finlay converted a semigun with some success. There's no reason why it won't work, but you may miss out on that slight forward foil thing which adds to the flow and 'pull' you get into waves
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed May 02, 2012 8:10 am

I normally ride my 7'er as a 2+1 with bonzer sides and a 6.5" centre.
I'd lent these fins out to a mate down the Gold coast and there was a solid swell I wanted to ride the board in.
So I put some Sunny Garcia fins in it with the centre fin in an FCS adaptor.
I was amazed that pushing hard on a bottom turn (like normal) had the tail letting go.
So I thought about fins I could run it it to get a good feel out of it.
Put the Webber curved GRV's in it with a M5 centre that has a finbox base on it.
I've tried these fins in combo with others on quads and they don't feel good at all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The board felt absolutely great. Carving machine.
It felt just as good as the bonzer set up.
Had a ball waiting for right hand bombs at my local soft arsed point.
Even rode the odd left that came through and heres a smaller left.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Worth trying these fins out.
I've been keen to own a shorter version of my 7'er (7T model) but couldn't afford another one. MC has a couple of 6'5"s on special with thruster plugs and I was interested but wasn't too keen on a thruster.
http://www.mcsurf.com.au/products/seven ... le-/1058/1
Now I know the 7'er works so well with the curved fins I'm trading a board in on this one.
I'll be able to ride it in beachbreaks/points that don't have to be at least 3' to make it work like the 7'er (cruiser ride at that size).
Cuttlefish

Postby Poo Stance » Wed May 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:you may miss out on that slight forward foil thing which adds to the flow and 'pull' you get into waves

Nice 1 Archy, if only I knew what that meant. :? If I ever get to give this a go I'll let you know my thoughts though. :-D
Poo Stance

Postby Airboy808 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:50 am

Just scored this Wayne Lynch Evo Fun.

waynelynch.jpg
wayne1
waynelynch.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 608 times

and these fins

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (100.86 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Airboy808

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue May 15, 2012 3:00 pm

That all looks like new - is it? If so, where did you find and what kind of price?
Archy_is_God

Postby Kirk3 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Archy,
Airboy was the source of my Parmenter! We need to get him posting some photos of boards and especially fins- he's a serious experimenter with no shortage of material to work with! That Evo is a beauty too, Lynchy is one of the best at building a classically functional board- his thrusters were/are as good as they got.
Kirk3

Postby Airboy808 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am

Archy_is_God wrote:That all looks like new - is it? If so, where did you find and what kind of price?

Bought it from SurfySurfy. It was on consignment and has a few pressure on the deck but in good cond. scored for $350us with fins.
Airboy808

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu May 17, 2012 8:30 pm

What a score!

What size is it?
Archy_is_God

Postby Airboy808 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am

Archy_is_God wrote:What a score!

What size is it?

6'6"x19-1/2"x2-1/2"

Just got it today. Pressure one the deck looks like some knee paddled it??? Or thought it was a hull and stood in the middle.
Airboy808

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 am

Should this be in the oddball thread or in here?

Available to buy in Gloucester for another 1day and 23hrs ;2)
Poo Stance

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Poostance, that thing is pretty muts- the tail looks sort of fragile though, I'd have sheared that bit off just getting it out of the bag no doubt. Here's Aussie Ben's nephew on his 6'0 widow at his local:
2.jpg
2.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 392 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 392 times

7.jpg
7.jpg (114.93 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Apparently he made that drop too!
Kirk3

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

These have been catching my eye just recently...

There's something just right about this planshape:

Archy_is_God

Postby VillageIdiot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Sweeeeet !
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm

It's a Christenson correct? Very nice looking board indeed- he builds a really clean looking shape, that's for certain. His fish look amazing, and they aren't that different to any other modern fish out there. I suppose it's a good eye for the finish and design as much as anything else, but when you see something like this or one of his guns, you can tell the board under that flash glass job has some serious skills behind it.
Kirk3

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design