Bonzer bumble bee spinning out -advice please!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Bonzer bumble bee spinning out -advice please!

Postby mils » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 am

Hi all, out on my 5' 8" 'bee' this morning at Little Fistral. Surf was classic and 3'+ overhead on the peak. Had a few sketchy moments on the drop, but was doing fine. Took a fast left on one wave and on the bottom turn the board just plain span out, like someone had flipped the rail.This wasn't driver error, it was the board.
sooo..do I need a bigger fin, or just take out my thruster next time?

Seriously, some make claims that an 8" fin transforms these boards in overhead surf, so useful, informed opinions welcome.
mils

Re: Bonzer bumble bee spinning out -advice please!

Postby shackattack2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 am

Slide the fin back?
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby flacky » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:45 am

Big wide tail yeah. I know a few people who have had these boards and all have swapped their fins out for something different. From memory the Greenough 4A fin...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mils » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks guys, i've moved the fin back a touch more and have been doing some research this arvo. Seems like a bigger fin is the way to go. Not a cheap experiment though :roll:
That said, the board flies in the head high stuff with no down sides. just need to adjust for the bigger punchier stuff.
Also read that mid face turns dont wok with these boards and it did seem to go better with a full bottom turn.
Nice to be still learning, just dont want to be compensating...
mils

Postby flacky » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:34 pm

I only had a bonzer briefly, it felt too wave specific for me. It screamed down the line but most of the time i surf sectioning junky beaches, so...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mils » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Flacky, I know what you mean, but this Bonzer is a luxury. A different board for special days. I'd just like to see how far I can push it.I've got more conventional boards, but its nice to play around with ideas.
mils

Postby Black » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Don't know much about bonzers & you say its deffo not driver error but when a board slips out from me on a bottom turn I've leaned mainly its myself extending too much instead of going with the board?? Probably cobblers but I think the best surfers can ride just about anything, so if we can't then its the user not the tool?

But I know Jack whatsit!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm

double post. woops.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Before you go buying a fin post a picture of your fin placement.
Also think about where your feet where.
I know this is basic but if you did have your feet too far forward then your not going to engage enough rail for the tail and fins to bite.
Look at your stance as well when your bottom turning have you got your centre of gravity low enough?
Cuttlefish

Postby mils » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Ok Guys, the fin is as recommended by Malcolm and has the leading edge paralell with the trailing edge of the outer fins (5 fin set up), which is default position.

As for foot position, pretty sure it was right especially as the board is so short. Cuttle fish, you are right about foot position and bottom turns, it could be pilot error, but I was very confident going into the turn having just done the same a couple of waves earlier. It really felt like someone flipped the board!

I may just need to adjust, but recycling thru yesterday's waves, on the bigger peaks I was going down very late and having to feather the front of the board a touch to prevent pearling on my backhand. Good fun, but a bit sketchy, maybe the board was just a bit short for the waves on the bigger sets?
Pity i wasn't surfing with my usual mates as feedback would have helped.
Anyway, appreciate the input. Anyone riding one of these real short bonzers with a bigger fin?
mils

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 am

i'd post something on the surfermag design forum, theres quite a few people on there who own bumble bees, i'm sure they will be able to give some advice. bigger fin to combat wider tail in larger steeper waves seems to make sense though!
Jory

Postby flacky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm

mils wrote:Ok Guys, the fin is as recommended by Malcolm and has the leading edge paralell with the trailing edge of the outer fins (5 fin set up), which is default position.

The fin is recommended by Malcolm, just happens to be the same fin he recommends for all his boards... I don't get that.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mils » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm

He knows what he likes for sure after 40 yrs i guess. When I checked the website it mentions a fin at min 6.5", mine came with a 6". Guess more fin as suggested above will be worth a go. When I fitted bigger front fins to my Sweet Potatoe quad it gave lots more hold and drive.
I'm pretty vacent on fin theory if i'm honest :oops:
mils

Postby HURLED » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Mils
I spoke with Campbell in June when he was over on a shaping tour.He said all his boards came with 6.5 fin.I order a Octa-Merk 6'0 20 1/2 wide 2 1/2 thick and said i wanted the board for reefs and points and to hold up in to 6ft range.When he heard 6ft he said i might want to get a 7 inch fin as well which would give me more hold in bigger surf but i still could use 6.5 as well.
HURLED

Postby flacky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:01 pm

mils wrote:He knows what he likes for sure after 40 yrs i guess. When I checked the website it mentions a fin at min 6.5", mine came with a 6". Guess more fin as suggested above will be worth a go. When I fitted bigger front fins to my Sweet Potatoe quad it gave lots more hold and drive.
I'm pretty vacent on fin theory if i'm honest :oops:

I think most of us would think we know more than we actually do, I tend to judge mine on how it looks. I don't mean pretty colours and shit, I mean does the shape and size fin sit naturally with the tail width and shape. Personally I don't understand how one fin will work equally as well on a pintail and a big wide square tail, or with 3 fins or 5. His fins are made by whoever, and I guess he has obligations... Or maybe he just really digs that template.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby cproctor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 pm

I'd go with flacky there - u can kind of tell if something is going to work or not (generally) I have a 6.5 iinch fin in my 6.5 b bee and it's fine - popped a 7 inch in and it felt a touch more solid , but I couldn't tell . Guy p at house of bonzer has said to me a few times - don't be afraid of putting a big f'in in a bonzer . I'm going to get a 8 inch 4a for my bee and a couple of other boards I have .

Hope that helps
cproctor

Postby mils » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys, after much 'net research and your own views I reckon a couple of fins are in order; a 7" for everyday and a 8" for bigger waves. The Greenough 4a does keep cropping up, just need to find one now :-)
mils

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:38 am

Before you buy a 4A read Neil Purchase's blog spot about a flexing fin in larger waves. :wink:
Basically he was talking about the fin loading up and then "twang" throwing him off.
Cuttlefish

Postby mils » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Cuttlefish, funny you should mention that point about the 4a fins causing a spin out. That's part of why I posted the question as there did seem to be contradictory views around.
Anyway, I baulked at pressing th e'buy now' buttom for that fin (£60) and instead have chosen a Chris Christenson 7.5" fin that I can experiment with and report back at a later date. Preferably when I can find the same low tide conditions again!
Thanks for all responses, nice to live and learn :D
mils

Postby Toolate » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 pm

I've been riding bonzers for a couple of years now. Every so often I still slide out which winds me up a treat. However I think it is always down to one of the following:
1. Putting too much weight on my front foot and driving off the rails like a normal thruster. I have found that I have had to alter my style by driving through the back foot more. I think it has improved my style but I still slip into old habits every so often.
2. Related to the previous point, not planting the back foot firmly over the centre fin when really banking the bottom turns.
3. As suggested in someones previous post bottom turning too early can cause you to slide out. You really have to delay the bottom turn which is again good for style but if the waves aren't perfect can be a bit tricky.

As I said the bonzer sliding out does wind me up but I still think the benefits outweigh the negatives, it is just a different style of surfing.
Toolate

Postby Mirky_Splatt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Choppy face?
Mirky_Splatt

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 am

As boards go faster they need less fin area, not more.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby starsurfcamps » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 am

I have a few Bonzers and only have this problem on the bumblebee. Im particularly light and for me I think the shape has a little too much float in the tail to employ the usual 6-6.5 inch fin so I use my larger 7.5 when the waves have any size.......the new shape (the Wasp) is very similar to the bumblebee but with a much narrower tail (I guess thats why they called it the Wasp) so perhaps this has solved the problem. Anyone tried one?
http://www.starsurfcamps.com
starsurfcamps

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design