Son of/ Magic Sam.. vee bottoms..

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Son of/ Magic Sam.. vee bottoms..

Postby Philchapman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:33 am

Philchapman

Postby kayu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm

classic style and traditional glass is timeless....hope it never dissappears.
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby cproctor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Son of Sam vs Magic Sam ..... what are the subtle differences (if any) ?

I rather foolishly assumed they were the same board (i.e from nat's "sam" board) just named differently by different shapers.
cproctor

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Sorry if re-post... http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000522.html

thought it may be of interest in here.
Poo Stance

Postby seasofcheese » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Magic Sam was Nats 66 board...Son of Sam is a copy of the now lost original - Paul Gross designed the copy with George Greenough.
seasofcheese

Postby royal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm

no big ol' honkin' fin needed...
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 pm

I've been keeping my powder dry on this one for a while as Tim is shaping an SOS for me - so hoping to chip in with a full ride report etc - but as wind is blustery and waves are non-existent and I'm procrastinating from doing some work, I thought I'd chip in with my understanding of Magic Sam V's Son of Sam - hopefully some of the forums better minds can put me straight...

First off the 'Magic' Sam was the nickname for Nat's 66 board which disappeared - this was an evolution of an idea from the Aussies - taking Yaters spoon / Nolls Da Cat / Velzy pig as it's foundation. The Aussies had been tweaking this shape for a while, with the Likes of Gordon Woods producing Nat's board - but the whole 'evolution' approach was being honed via shapers / factory's throughout Oz - such as Keyo (as Bob McTavish also worked there) and plenty others - a bit of research and you'll see a lot of "Sam' influences in boards dated around '65-'66 - check out this Pig from McDonagh for example - pretty tight for the era - pinched rails, very foiled, Greenough Stage 1...

The Magic Sam is a refiniement of idea's that were being thrown into the melting point at the time - rumour has it, Greenough was even foiling the fin while Nat was in the comp! - As everyone knows, the board dissappeared after the San Diego comp (and thus straight into legendary status) - either a shrewd move by Nat or someone is gonna pull that bad boy outta storage and pocket a fortune... i digress...

As Tim has rightly pointed out (the oracle on all matters Sam as far as I'm concerned) - the Son of Sam was born through Paul Gross / Greenough - Spence Kellog has tweaked the idea, blending it with a spoon...

So, to my mind (and I'm happy to be corrected at any stage as I could have the two things WELL mixed up) - The original Magic Sam had it's widepoint slightly back, flat in the nose going through to vee / rounded in the tail - very foiled at around 2 1/2 and pinched rails - fitted with a Greenough Stage 3 fin

The Son of Sam is more of an elongated hull approach, with it's widepoint slightly back, rolled belly, very foiled and pinched rails.

Most of the guys mentioned produce Son of Sams - their own interpretation of the design, modernised and tweaked with their own elements that essentially harks back to Paul Gross' design. However, Andrieni makes a "Magic Sam' - and perhaps Rob can verify this as he's glassing for the man so much better placed than I - the Magic Sam that Andrieni produces is more in the longboard camp than the hull camp (just) - it has a slightly wider nose, midpoint around center, a slight vee in the tail, with 50/50 pinched rails tailing off to a hard edge - the shape possibly has more in common with the Owl shape that he produces (that has a step-deck -not certain if his Magic Sam does?)

Finally - a bit of plagarism from the vlog blog (get over there and check it out) http://vicloggin.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/magic-sam-v-son-of-sam.html

A fundamental influence on this design was the shift of the board's main area (or volume) to further back on the board. This was essentially what had come out of the Velzy/Jacob Pig Board 'chance' designs of a decade earlier.
It allowed for more 'drive' from the back of the board, and less focus on the trimming and noseriding control. This 'drive' was a fundamental change in surfing control.

This particular board was affectionately named ‘Sam’ by Nat Young, and he secretly felt that it had 'magical' powers of it's own. It had a rounded flat nose and a square tail. The deck was flat and the bottom rounded to allow for 'roll' in turning. The ‘thin’ rails were shaped to a 50/50 sizing – allowing maximum ‘cutting’ edges. Although harder to paddle, the idea was that the board’s thinner rails would allow the board to cut into the wave when turning. Combined with the 'pig' style volume placement - this would allow sharper turning, or ‘carving’, without the drag of the more traditional thicker Malibu boards. - and also drive out of the turns (bottoms).

The way I see it, ride either and you're going to get a nice smooth, fast ride from either board, suited to steepness on the face, and versatile when in the pocket - but I'll verify that when I get mine :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby Black » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Aligator/crocodile :shock:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby royal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 am

Grif...

Don't remember seeing and step in the deck of Marc's MS. I'll look next time he drops one off. But yes, more LB than Hull. Not sure about the edge in the tail, but it is possible. No concave anywhere, Greenough inspired fin - A Flex typically. SImple design by today's star wars standards, but therefore more versatile IMHO.

Real nice rails and foil.

Right up my alley, yet slightly different than what I would make.

Hope to get one from him soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgisHsJZ0vw

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 am

royal wrote: I'll look next time he drops one off.

Ah, the lifestyles of the rich and famous, eh?

:-D
Archy_is_God

Postby kayu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 am

.....a lot of Greg MacDonagh's boards were shaped with eps cores,and glassed in epoxy.....a futuristic dude.. :shock:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby royal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:42 am

Archy_is_God wrote:
royal wrote: I'll look next time he drops one off.

Ah, the lifestyles of the rich and famous, eh?

:-D

ha!

If only...

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Philchapman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 am

Philchapman

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design