Longboards for bigger waves

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Longboards for bigger waves

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Due to to some of the recent swell action I'm looking for some recommendations for a longboard for larger waves (head high plus) and mainly for beachies.

Not really looking at any 'performance' longboards as I mainly ride traditional single fin logs. Needs to be fairly flexible as it's wont be used for consistent points where waves size is generally uniform, but the variety of waves a big day can throw up on a typical beach. Open to idea's on planshape, fin set-ups and rails. Been mulling over something like the Danos Los Creeper, Bing Pintail, possibly a Glider or Mandala Hunter but could do with some input and broaden my horizons.
mister-griffster

Re: Longboards for bigger waves

Postby kayu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:33 pm

M-G , IMO the takayama speed-shape series is hard to beat , high performance and they can still be surfed traditional style,,,,,,
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:12 am

IMO that kind of board is rubbish, I've been up against the type countless times in bigger waves and they don't get a look in.

This board rules at any size:

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Stan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 am

See Randy Raricks review of Roys board after he,d ridden one in some head high waves its the only review of Roys boards you need to see
Stan

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 am

Stan wrote:See Randy Raricks review of Roys board after he,d ridden one in some head high waves its the only review of Roys boards you need to see

The guy is a kook and he fell off four out of six waves while trying to ride the board from the tail like a mal, his review means absolutely nothing.

that design has been proven countless times in waves up to 4 times overhead and it is so far ahead of any of the regular longboards that it's ridiculous.

I know, whereas you lot merely guess on the basis of BS assumptions.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby slipslide » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 am

Shameless plug but would fit the bill perfectly

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28020
slipslide

Postby ears » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:57 am

Check out the gato heroi smooth operator for sale on A1...(its not mine) its one of the ones made over here last year.. I've seen it in the flesh, very nice board foiled to the max.. i'd imagine it would fit the bill perfectly.. if you want something a tad shorter but works brilliantly in as big as you want to go i have an andreini vaquero (7'6) that i am looking to move on (i have another shorter one that is my go to board).. another shameless plug.. but i use it on bigger days when i don't want the hassle of a log but want to be able to get the glide, trim and lots and lots of speed!! plus you can duck dive it.. I must warn you however they can somewhat overwhelm the rest of your quiver!

I would also recommend slipslides 8'8 mandala.. pukka boards that don't come up very often!

good luck - Cheers -= Ears :D
ears

Postby flacky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:
Stan wrote:See Randy Raricks review of Roys board after he,d ridden one in some head high waves its the only review of Roys boards you need to see

The guy is a kook and he fell off four out of six waves while trying to ride the board from the tail like a mal, his review means absolutely nothing.

that design has been proven countless times in waves up to 4 times overhead and it is so far ahead of any of the regular longboards that it's ridiculous.

I know, whereas you lot merely guess on the basis of BS assumptions.

I agree about reviews. Most reviews are useless. As most reviewers will already pre-assume certain things.
Problem is Roy, no one has ever come forth to back up the 4 x overhead claims...

Doesn't mean it's false, I'm just playing devil's advocate... I see no reason why it wouldn't handle the waves.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby roberdy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Roy, how much would that board set back Mister-Griffster?
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Chris F » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Including P & P.
Chris F

Postby Jory » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Well this would/does work in a traditional bigger wave sense:

http://adventuresintrim.blogspot.com/20 ... -doom.html

Or the original gato was even more like a gun, revolver have that for sale for £500

The Ramayana speed shapes are going to work really well. There's footage of Devon Howard on one surfing traditionally in the contours video.

The danos are lovely but all big and heavy. The Los creeper is probably more of a log than you want
Jory

Postby Jory » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh and the long mandala hunter seekers are more like a big hull than a longboard. Think the jury is still out on how good they are maybe a proper hull or a vaquero by andreini are a better option . The bing pintails could be a good choice too. Elliot Dudley loves his, I rode a 9'2 in small surf and it's really a speedy shape not a heavy log type deal
Jory

Postby slipslide » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

There are truck loads of options depending on what you want. I have never riden a vaquero but want one pretty bad, over on Jam longboards there is a section on speed shapes in the 8-9ft range and it is a good read the guy settled on a vaquero. Then theres the Hynson red fin, Phil edwards style, Tak speed shape (i think mitches have some nice ones), alternatively why a longboard when its big? A nice 8ft widowmaker maybe or a nice single fin. I have never tried a full on Hull but have not heard great things about them in size, thats not to say they cant be surfed in bigger stuff (again your deffinition of bigger stuff is important) just harder work. the triplanes (vaquero,hunter and fluid juice) seem more user friendly and mine at least has speed to burn.
Its a horses for courses thing and there wont be one board that does it all, i would be very tempted given my tri plane experience to buy Ears Vaquero as depending on your dimensions and the boards dimensions. Once the Hunter is sold in fact i will be buying either another one in 8ft or a Vaquero in 8ft.
Good luck with your search there are a lot of good options
slipslide

Postby slipslide » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh. Bit left field how about an 8ft 2 Mccoy single fin nugget? Loads of volume can handle some size.
I might be puting one up for sale soon, now thats timing.
In honesty i am not sure i want to part with mine yet but i think down the line have some and they are an interesting board. But try one first as they are a bit like marmite :mrgreen:
slipslide

Postby flacky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I've been offered a 8ft nugget single fin. Tell me about them chief...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby royal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 am

for my money, if I wanted a traditional log for big surf, I'd be looking at boards built by guys that actually took heavy logs out in big surf..

Phil Edwards style boards come to mind, not saying you have to get an original of course... :wink:

Wide point forward, or center, slight down rail with an edge in the tail for release - remember edges DO NOT create hold/bite like the popular myth. They release cleanly for control. Pulled in tail and nose, and a width around 21ish. No need for super wide outlines when you got power on tap...
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby slipslide » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:26 am

Is that a bing pipeliner there royal. Nice board.
There are so many ways to skin a cat here that it all comes down to preference, as i said i love the triplane for its speed and in the bigger sizes its paddle ability (i am 6ft 2 and 14-15 stone depending on beer intake). The edwards/Hynson/speed shape would be great, or a nice 8fter are all good choices.

Flacky. The nugget is an interesting board, you either love or hate (i happen to love). If you surf waves with a bit of power and size then it is a great option. I bought it as a one board quiver and it is not, now it might just be me but i cant get on with it in the small stuff. In power though its great fun. I should imagine its a lot like the full on hulls in as much as they are not for everyone. You can read all the million pages on the nugget thread but you really need to try before you buy. Oh and it paddles great duck diving is interesting.
slipslide

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 am

I have a longboard for small stuff. I rarely surf big and powerful, but the log is pretty limiting.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby slipslide » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:09 pm

If you already have a log then i would have thought it would be a useful addition to you. As i say i like mine, thinking about a change though (to many boards at the moment). And size and power is different to everyone. All i meant was that the better the surf the better the board performs. I like the single as it gives a bit more familiarity to me (i dont own any thruster or 2 plus one boards). When i travel i always take the Mccoy because it will deal with most that i encounter. It is a really nice board and built like a tank. Just a bit of an aquired taste.
slipslide

Postby slipslide » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:24 pm

You might have noticed that i find it hard to explain the mccoy, but from people i have leant it to shortboarders hate it (remember it is 8ft 2) and longboarders love it.
slipslide

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks chaps - some real useful suggestions there (and some nice plugs! :)) - I rode Welsh Kook's Bing Pintail on the weekend and love that board - I only managed a session in small weak waves - but i love the boards versatliity - you can get into anything from 1ft up, can get to the nose if desired and is such a smooth and quick board in general... at the moment the Pintail is probably my most serious contender.

I've eye'd up the Gatoi Hero but from kinda tentative about how the board may go after reading Jory's blog and his experience's - kinda feels like you take a punt and may get a magic board or a turkey - no doubt this is just simply a bit of trepedation on my part. I'd agree that the Dano is out of contention for this purpose - I was looking at something that could scale up to larger waves (unlike the Bing which can scale down) - but i have a few magic small wave boards anyhoo so that kinda glosses over that...

As for the Vaqueros - an absolutely stunning board - i nearly succumbed to Adam's charms a couple of years back and almost plumbed for the 6'6 he had, but wind is always a factor when surfing most welsh breaks and it seems that anything hull-y benefits from cleaned and lined up, and while I'd love to ride one I'm not quite in the market for it at the mo - same with the McCoy Nugget - I would love to try one (especially as I love riding pig's) but again will shelve for another day.

I think I'm heading in the same direction as Rob's suggestion which is why the Bing Pintail feels about right - anything developed by Brewer is certainly gonna fly (the pintail has the advantage that it can also mop up the smaller in-between waves) and the Edwards / Hynson / Peck suggestions are certainly for further investigation. (BTW Rob I'm hoping to add another of your boards to the quiver this week - hope all is gravy stateside!)

I'm so far moving toward the idea of a longboard that will excel in bigger surf, but also be versatile enough to be fun in smaller stuff too - then you have a great log for travelling too.

But can't say that I will be going down Roy's route, I only have the one house to mortgage so probably couldn't afford anyway, but a 10 footer that you can pop up on the nose of (how tall have you got to be for that, 8'6?) grab a rail and take a 12ft drop not only seem slightly dubious but obviously outweighs my meagre talents - yeah, Randy Rarrick - what a kook - he obviously knows nothing - both him and Donald Takayama - what do they know about surfing anyway!!
mister-griffster

Postby slipslide » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 pm

slipslide

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm

mister-griffster wrote:As for the Vaqueros - an absolutely stunning board - i nearly succumbed to Adam's charms a couple of years back and almost plumbed for the 6'6 he had, but wind is always a factor when surfing most welsh breaks and it seems that anything hull-y benefits from cleaned and lined up, and while I'd love to ride one I'm not quite in the market for it at the mo - same with the McCoy Nugget - I would love to try one (especially as I love riding pig's) but again will shelve for another day.

Don't all boards benefit from clean and lined up?

Only had my hull for a short time sadly, and will definitely be getting another. Surfed it in far from clean or lined up, and in crystal like. Was ridiculously smooth. Had it out in Mid Wales' "superbank" :roll: and it was beautiful.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby ears » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:38 pm

That Bing speed shape 'the link' is a very, very nice board.. saw it at adams place a while back and then saw it in action when it was owned (briefly) by a mate and fellow forum member.. Not sure how much of a nose rider it is.. i'd say not.. but certainly built for juice!

I think you can't go wrong with the bing pintail lightweight.. another option is the bing lightweight step deck (at least thats what it used to be called) Soft square tail, slightly pulled nose, step deck and no concave but a good nose rider all the same and built for bigger waves.. another mate had one and it seemed a very versatile board.. but the pintail would be my choice i think..

Without banging on about vaqueros.. and this isn't a sales pitch but they do actually work pretty well in less than stellar conditions.. i've had them out in borderline stuff and its turned out to be a pretty good fun session.. anyway, it sounds to me that a longboard is what you're after and i reckon the bing is the thing!
:D ears..
ears

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

I've been looking over that Bing Link - a nice log for sure and very tempting! Right at the moment (subject to change at any given time) I'm getting the feel for a pintail, or rounded pin in the larger stuff - I've got a few square tailed logs and while the Link is a transition board I haven't seen one in the flesh to validate it. Again the Bing Lightweight is a good consideration (I already have the Elevator which has similar lines) and may float to the top but the pintail is still edging it... just!

As for banging on about Hulls - Ears / Slipside, then this is the place to do it! I'm no facist :) I love the hull concept and could still be convinced (i have teetered on the brink before) and that 7'6" certainly peaks my interest - if you are considering selling Ears then PM me a couple of pics and any relevant info - I'll certainly give it some proper consideration.

Shame Rob has moved across the shores, be about time to pay a visit and cook something up :) So many boards, so few waves!! :))
mister-griffster

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 pm

mister-griffster wrote:
But can't say that I will be going down Roy's route, I only have the one house to mortgage so probably couldn't afford anyway, but a 10 footer that you can pop up on the nose of (how tall have you got to be for that, 8'6?) grab a rail and take a 12ft drop not only seem slightly dubious but obviously outweighs my meagre talents

An uninformed reaction.

1) The board i posted is 12 feet long not 10.

2) Noseriding is not what it is designed to do.

3)It is far superior in performance to any of the boards posted on this thread and is also easier to ride provided that one doesn't pretend it's a mal and ride off the tail.

4)Because of your sarcasm you spoke the truth, Randy definitely kooked it. It's noticeable that surfers here are willing to devote many sessions to dialling in hard to ride boards which have been industry approved as having the cool factor, and put up with many initial failures on the surfing front in order to get there, but see no contradiction in claiming that 6 waves ridden badly settles the matter for all time in the case of my board and even though i have many great ride reports and vast experience on the design this is all dismissed because it doesn't fit the toxic agenda.

The design is light years ahead of any of the boards posted here.

5) As for cost, I'd help you to build one but as is usual here am casting pearls before swine.

6) You types think that you can keep a good thing down but you can't.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 pm

royal wrote:for my money, if I wanted a traditional log for big surf, I'd be looking at boards built by guys that actually took heavy logs out in big surf..

Phil Edwards style boards come to mind, not saying you have to get an original of course... :wink:

Wide point forward, or center, slight down rail with an edge in the tail for release - remember edges DO NOT create hold/bite like the popular myth. They release cleanly for control. Pulled in tail and nose, and a width around 21ish. No need for super wide outlines when you got power on tap...

Quite frankly these boards are based on the most badly designed surfboard type of all time... the so called 'pulled in tail' is merely a useless appendage to a dysfunctional malibu shape. In short the shape is an outdated dog.

Boards like those above have no sweet spot and in a nutshell a central sweet spot from which the board can be turned and trimmed is of the first importance.

Sharp edges by the way are the worst for control on big boards, they do not have a consistent response over a wide speed range.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Just because you can see something, doesn't mean you understand it...

I'm just watching Tom Wegener on a similarly mis shaped longboard on a bloody big wave on Siestas And Olas...

Well how bout that... He made the wave.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:33 pm

regardless roy there is pictorial evidence and movie evidence of these type of boards been ridden in waves of consequence something you have shown no evidence of with your boards ...bit of a no brainer really... 8) you watching that section in mexico near the end solid waves flacky...
mal-nourished

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 pm

flacky wrote:Just because you can see something, doesn't mean you understand it...

I'm just watching Tom Wegener on a similarly mis shaped longboard on a bloody big wave on Siestas And Olas...

Well how bout that... He made the wave.

Oh I understand it very well, and of course the type works after a fashion.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design