Longboards for bigger waves

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Longboards for bigger waves

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 am

Bump.
Let's read about some more fine pieces of foam and fibreglass.
The conversation is much too wooden around here. :wink:
Cuttlefish

Postby kayu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:52 am

Well Cuttle , the only wood on the last page was a nice coffee table, so here's a couple of woodies for ya !!,, 8)
Attachments
More wood !!! 006.jpg
More wood !!! 006.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 785 times
More wood !!! 005.jpg
More wood !!! 005.jpg (41.98 KiB) Viewed 785 times
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Nice....
But I was referring more to the conversation in a broader context than than just this thread.
:arrow:
Cuttlefish

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Foamies and Fibie's eh.... well going waaaaay back in this thread, 2 recommended boards The Peck Penetrator and a Vaquero Hull are both coming to Wales soon - a couple of mates have gone for some sweet boards, so if Satan is really kind... Santa, I mean Santa... the I may be lucky to score a couple of rides - if so, i'll post any relevant feedback. If not, then I may be looking for some new mates :lol:
mister-griffster

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 am

Well, here's my new toy...found it used but in exc condition. Tinted bottom and rails. Shaped by ex-Cali shaper and long time chum of George Greenoughs, Michael Cundith.
MC has been Qld champ a couple of times and lived at Lennox and knows what it takes to make a board for chunky point waves.
Keiren Perrow and Danny Wills have both ridden his boards.
Bit pointy to noseride this one but I'm cheeky so I'll post in on here anyway.
9'1" X 22" X 3 1/8"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cuttlefish

Postby Kirk3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice score on the Cundith gun Cuttle, you guys have even has some waves worth taking it out in of late too. Here's another non starter of an option- 9' balsa Simmons dual keel- seems to be an interesting ride in some decent sized lumps here:
rk_balsa_bturn2010.jpg
rk_balsa_bturn2010.jpg (214.07 KiB) Viewed 607 times

Christian Beamish built a few longer twin fin boards, based them off templates of Simmons and Curren stuff and rode one of them at Mavericks so they too apparently work nicely on a big wave
tumblr_l1tt5xRlQ81qz9mac.jpg
tumblr_l1tt5xRlQ81qz9mac.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 607 times
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Postby royal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 am

or you can get one of these Waimea guns fron Andreini... 10' something, no leash, heavy volan, and 2" redwood stringer action...

never really want one these in my quiver though... it would mean I'd have to use it... :shock:
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Kirk3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:34 am

C'mon Rob, you're a Santa Cruz guy now- Maverick's up the road and Ghost Tree down the road- you should be out there especially with boards like that at hand. I'll watch from the beach though if you don't mind! That's a lovely bit of work, although 2" stringers are like the two leash plug set up- a little scary that you might need something like that. Here's one more- Mackie did an S-deck 9' something for a guy who surfs Hanalei Bay every year.
BILD4460.jpg
BILD4460.jpg (117.77 KiB) Viewed 560 times

BILD4487.jpg
BILD4487.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 560 times

BILD4511.jpg
BILD4511.jpg (107.75 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Santa Cruz does seem to be treating you OK- be warned though, I'm going to try and get up there before summer- I'll want a tour of the shaping headquarters.
Kirk3

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 am

Blessed are the pointy noses.
We've staged a successful takeover of this page at least.
Hey Kirk,
My regret is that that board has been for sale for quite a few weeks and I should have organised it so that I had it for the biggest days of the swell we just had.
Oh well, early season yet.
I already have a good day of how it will surf as I had another one with similar dims from MC which had been made for Sunset.
He assures me this one will be looser which should be fun.
Cuttlefish

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm

heres a couple of tylers big wave vehicles ... 8)
Attachments
386096_10151097352975076_118070205075_22141738_1787951387_n.jpg
386096_10151097352975076_118070205075_22141738_1787951387_n.jpg (152.59 KiB) Viewed 518 times
mal-nourished

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Those are truly ghastly.

by the way I rode the FP ghost 12 footer which was once inteneded for the UK yesterday. It's a wonderful machine.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:30 pm

He's some craftsman alright...

Roy, your elitest ignorance is annoying. For someone who makes such grand claims, you show no intelligence whatsoever. You have zero empathy. Like a spoilt child. It's quite a shame.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:39 pm

No, I just honestly don't like those boards at all, they are poor designs.

The issue is not one of morality or personality it's a design issue, and I do apply intelligence to the subject.

What you should learn is that in a free thinking and open society dissent on surfboard design topics should be embraced rather than met with character slurs and other irrelevant emotive content.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 pm

its not elitist flacky its just ignorance pure and simple havent you got your own threads to attend to stuart gets rather tedious your silly little comments.. 8)
mal-nourished

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:40 pm

I saw that Andrieni on your blog Rob - don't think I've recovered yet - it's a stunner - may even make me wanna grow some plums and take on some heaving waist high beasts :wink: Seriously that's a cracking board - top craftsmanship all round by the looks...

That template you've got there Kirk looks full on Hellman! what to you use to slow you down on that thing, a parachute?! Tis a blade for sure sir. As for the Tylers, they look cracking pieces of kit too - just wish he'd get his new website up asasp to see the profiles of some of his shapes. - Not sure some of his shapes are what I'm looking for, but from all reports from guys who ride em they never look back - wish I could get a test driver :wink:

As for the Ghost Roy, whether it's made for UK waves or elsewhere, there's a great thread on that shape here; http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30651 where you can read all about it and post more info all you want.

On this thread no one really gives a rats arse
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Yet the design has a track record that cannot be dismissed. Proven over years by riders from all walks of life in all kinds of conditions. Personal opinion is great but mutual respect is far healthier Roy.

Look forward to seeing the 12fter on film hey.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 pm

goes without saying mr.g the best shapers have the worst websites.. :lol: tyler is a great shaper and really came across well when he visited the uk few years back with his sidekick mike we had a great laugh with them both and he brought a good bit of stoke down here at sennen..watching him surf his riddler board was a eye-opener wish i had got round to trying robs [royal..] take on it lovely shaped piece of kit..
mal-nourished

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 am

flacky wrote:
Personal opinion is great but mutual respect is far healthier Roy.

There are plenty of mealy mouthed yeah guys in the surfing world, so there's no need for me to become one.

Your moral and psychological advice is as much use to me as your website services are i.e. no use whatsoever.

I respect your right to life and your right to freedom of speech, you can 'go fish' for the rest.

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 am

Cuttlefish wrote:

Why do you feel the need to take over?

It's somewhat psychopathic.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am

what a horrible little insignificant bitter little little man you are stuart ....looking at the current state of your website you need all the help you can get and some my 10yr old could do better and he isnt selling surfboards at stupid prices ....utter fail ...and roy stick your physcho babble philosophical scientific bullshit right up your pink flamingo ass you no mark no ones interested ... :?
mal-nourished

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 am

Lol at 6 ft and 88 kg I'm above average in size and am very happy with my lot.

In any case don't let it bother you all that spewing is bad for your health.

Back on topic pointy noses are neither here nor there although they are less aerodynamically efficient than rounded noses in surfing applications.

Wide thin tails as in the 'Tyler' boards are one of the first things to avoid for bigger wave longboards... then there's the domed deck and the rocker and rail issues which those boards have.

The fins are poor also.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:00 am

Roy Stuart wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:

Why do you feel the need to take over?

It's somewhat psychopathic.

Oh, geez Roy ya got me on that one. :shock:
Not like you shirk the limelight though. :wink:
Which then says what about you?
Maybe we're both birds of a feather.
Here was I thinking you'd take me to task on my pointed name dropping to validate my choice of board and it's snuck under the radar (until now, ooops) and you go and nail me on my joy at seeing some longboards that weren't wider in the nose than the tail.
Oh no I've left myself open to more attacks as I've just remembered you ride your boards backwards. :oops:
Ok, ok, I'll quit while I'm behind.
Or will I?
:twisted:
To be honest I'd much rather ride the gun I've purchased in larger waves as opposed to a board with a wider nose. I simply prefer how the gun comes off the top compared to boards I've ridden with more forward width and subsequent swing weight. Each to their own.
Cuttlefish

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Another of the pointy nosed variety by Christenson - should be right up your street

[url]pointy noses are neither here nor there although they are less aerodynamically efficient than rounded noses in surfing applications[/url]

Still being contradictory to your own opinions Roy? I guess that's an open admission that your template is less 'aerodynamically' efficient than the standard 'horrible' round nosed pintail we've all been told is 'turd'
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:
flacky wrote:
Personal opinion is great but mutual respect is far healthier Roy.

There are plenty of mealy mouthed yeah guys in the surfing world, so there's no need for me to become one.

Your moral and psychological advice is as much use to me as your website services are i.e. no use whatsoever.

I respect your right to life and your right to freedom of speech, you can 'go fish' for the rest.

so full of ... nothing?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm

I think Royston has a case of 'delusional ripper syndrome'... how can one person post so many videos of lame surfing. Think he just babbles on to get a 'raise' out of people... 4x overhead I'm stilling rolling around laughing at that quote... kook-commander!
buttholesurfer

Postby Kirk3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

As I don't really ride longboards I can't offer much on Tyler's designs other than the couple of friends who have them seem happy enough with them, big heavy glassed singles in both cases. Nice workmanship on them though. On the personality level, which offers even less, Tyler's a lovely bloke- I've met him a few times and talked vehicles with him (he's from an old school LA hot rod enthusiast family). I see him surf a lot too, and that's always entertaining- especially when he rides one of his shorter designs or is out in the stupid stuff like this clip. He's a big guy, well over 6' and handles this action pretty fearlessly. That jetty broke nicely last week too, with a much more manageable head high or so day of rights that stayed open for at least a while- very fun when it's on and you can pick off a few amongst the crowd that inevitably gathers. Should be good (or at least have some size- I'm not sure Porto closeouts can be called 'good') this coming week too....

http://youtu.be/zuI7XBxW_tw

sorry Griffster, we've subverted your 'Longboards For Bigger Waves' into 'Pointy Guns'!
Kirk3

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:

To be honest I'd much rather ride the gun I've purchased in larger waves as opposed to a board with a wider nose. I simply prefer how the gun comes off the top compared to boards I've ridden with more forward width and subsequent swing weight. Each to their own.

That makes more sense.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm

mister-griffster wrote:
pointy noses are neither here nor there although they are less aerodynamically efficient than rounded noses in surfing applications

Still being contradictory to your own opinions Roy? I guess that's an open admission that your template is less 'aerodynamically' efficient than the standard 'horrible' round nosed pintail we've all been told is 'turd'

Which template are you talking about?

I usually make rounded noses, so see no contradiction,
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Those are certainly some tasty bombs - love Tylers powerful surfing - and Kirk, no worries on the hijack - they are still 'longer' boards I guess - i know I'm not in the market for a gun but always interesting to hear some feedback on them, and besides, the bridge is something like Masons Old Yella which I may well be considering- so one shape informs another.

Sorry Roy, I was talking about the Ghost - i suppose technically it is a round nose (I figured out which way the board is 'sposed to go round now) though it's so pulled in upfront it's only the last few inches that have been 'rounded' off - template wise it looks fairly 'pointy' to me (in comparison to some of the shapes discussed) - though to be fair you don't post nose and tail measurements of your boards. To me it looks like a pointy nose that has been blunted as a safety feature more than anything to do with aerodynamics or hydrodynamics.
mister-griffster

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:12 am

Yeah it's pretty narrow in the nose around 11 or 12 from memory, the shape is for hydrodynamic and aerodynamic reasons rather than safety although pointy noses are a worry on that score.

The wide point is back at halfway too so it's not the typical wide point forward round nosed type which you were writing about.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design