Short step-ups: Wizard Sleeve, Rusty Slayer, 4th Teardrop et

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Short step-ups: Wizard Sleeve, Rusty Slayer, 4th Teardro

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm wondering how the Decorator got along with his boards (pictured in previous page) after the Christmas swell we just had?
If you were in the right places at the right times it was pretty epic for a test of what works and what doesn't.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am

Had a good run of swell over there for a while by the look of things..

First surf on the JP before work today..

It was headhigh, sectiony and a bit tricky but full of punch and the handful of short waves I had were all positive

Stoked!
Archy_is_God

Postby splinter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 am

nice..... 8)

I couldn't quite muster the enthusiasm this morning.......
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:58 am

splinter wrote:New board has landed :-D

Flat to subtle single to slight vee out the back. PU blank, glassed with Epoxy resin, so strong and light.

Similar in outline to the slayer except the wide point is around the centre rather than a couple of inches forward.

Ride report to follow in due course.

diplockTrunk4.jpg

Hey Splinter,
Does your new dippers have a name or model or is it a complete custom job ? I've been thinking about geting a new board along the lines of the SA mollusc / rusty slayer for a while . when i'm back in Cornwall i reckon i'll get Bro at diplock to shape it as i've been very impressed with the quad fish of there's that i've got .
I've decided that i have too many boards that do similar things so it time to thin it down and get two or three that will cover a good range of wave and conditions . How does your new stick go any up dates ?

cheers , steve
steveo100

Postby splinter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

steveo100 wrote:Hey Splinter,
Does your new dippers have a name or model or is it a complete custom job ? I've been thinking about geting a new board along the lines of the SA mollusc / rusty slayer for a while . when i'm back in Cornwall i reckon i'll get Bro at diplock to shape it as i've been very impressed with the quad fish of there's that i've got .
I've decided that i have too many boards that do similar things so it time to thin it down and get two or three that will cover a good range of wave and conditions . How does your new stick go any up dates ?

cheers , steve

Hi Steve,

Yeah they call it "The Trunk", I had it tweaked slightly with the dimensions and had it finished in Epoxy rather than PE resin.

I won't repeat too much of what I said before so see page 2 of this thread, 7th post from the bottom for the latest ride report. I will say though that I am very pleased with the build quality, no signs of crazing anywhere yet and I have copped some real floggings on this board. It's proving pretty versatile for me too, originally intended for the bigger/hollower days, but have also had fun in less than ideal conditions, making it a bit of an all-rounder.

Combined with something a bit shorter/wider/thicker I hope to have a 2 board quiver, covering most of the conditions we get here.

Where's your local surf other than cornwall?
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Cool thanks for that , i'll give them a shout .

Ah my local ....live in northern spain in the winter then come home to cornwall in the summer i've done that for the past 3 years . i buy my boards when i'm home in the summer then bring them over here .My go to board for the past 2 winters has been a RNF copy is on it's last legs tho' its very lightly glassed plus it took it pretty bad at supertubos last month !! so it time to replace it .
Heres a link to a spot not far from my place going off a few months back !! http://creadordesensaciones.com/2011/10 ... e-mi-vida/

It's not like that often !
steveo100

Postby splinter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Wow....nice life, very jealous. 8)

Drove through a bit of Northern Spain once a few years back, got off the ferry at Bilbao and checked a few spots. Was flat though so headed to SW France for the rest of the trip. Really need to head back to Northern Spain some time and explore....
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey splinter ,What fins are you running in your new board ?
I've been in contact with Bro and got some more info about the 'trunk' and it sounds like pretty much what i'm looking for , only down side i'll have to wait till the spring to get it shaped ! :?

Anyway thought i'd try and kick this thread back in to life as i was quite enjoying it !!
steveo100

Postby Chrisisted » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Just ordered myself a board on a similar template to Archy_is_god's new board posted above, will hopefully post some pics in 3/4 weeks time when it's done along with the Empire Jekyll quad that I also ordered today after a quiver clear out
Chrisisted

Postby splinter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

steveo100 wrote:Hey splinter ,What fins are you running in your new board ?
I've been in contact with Bro and got some more info about the 'trunk' and it sounds like pretty much what i'm looking for , only down side i'll have to wait till the spring to get it shaped ! :?

Anyway thought i'd try and kick this thread back in to life as i was quite enjoying it !!

Hi Steve,

LBX4's, composites.

Couldn't justify the extra cost at the mo for glass fins (esp having just ordered a 2nd "summer" board), work a bit thin on the ground at the mo etc. Maybe I'll treat myself next Christmas. 8)
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 am

Yeah i know what you mean , it soon mounts up !
steveo100

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Right then, isn't it about time we had some swell?

Had a few good surfs on the JP, but still waiting for some solid stuff to get it going :arrow: :arrow:
Archy_is_God

Postby The Decorator » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:31 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I'm wondering how the Decorator got along with his boards (pictured in previous page) after the Christmas swell we just had?
If you were in the right places at the right times it was pretty epic for a test of what works and what doesn't.

Sorry Cuutlefish only just picked up on this.

Had an awesome Christmas (no kids) surfed Xmas Eve, day and boxing at Noosa. T tree 1st day boiling pot next two. Then the Tuesday after Boxing day when the wind swung I had 6hrs in at Twin Waters! First light was big and I was the only one out. (Don't think anyone fancied the paddle out but tbh it wasn't too bad if you're fit) After high it dropped a little but was still decent overhead.

As for the boards... well I didn't surf either!

I happened to be window shopping and saw a Hayden Shapes Hypto Krypto in Alex surf. Nice looking board. Also like Craig Andersons surfing of said board but at $895 it's outta my league. Got home and typed it into to google to drool some more and an ad for Gumtree popped up. I kid you not, there was a 2nd hand one for sale 3km down the road from my house. The bloke had crushed a rail and had it repaired but just wanted to get rid of it. $300 later I had a 5'6 of my own.

Got the pen out and thanks to Droog http://droog79.blogspot.com/ made it mine.

To cut a long story short it's blown me away. At the points I could still paddle around people and get in early but where it most suprised me was the big day on the beach. I have never surfed a board that short in waves that size and felt so comfortable. Never a hint of burying the nose on late ones and because of the tapered tail you can comit and definitely get it to go straight up with no issues. Off the top with the thruster set up it pivots nicely and the wide nose is forgiving on the way back down. It's real flat but like the man says he's managed to hide a bit of lift in the nose to make it more user friendly. http://www.haydenshapes.com/page_var184

In the meantime, Bart has finished shaping my new Quad and I picked it up yesterday. I'm off to Indo in 12 days so am gonna save it till I get there.

Taking a 6'6 gun , 5'11 Chilli (see previous page) and the two above. Meeting my best mate from the UK who hasn't tried any of this "newfangled" stuff yet so he'll have a collection to try!
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby The Decorator » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 am

Sorry to go on but thought I'd better show testing ground :wink:

www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby splinter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Saw the Hypto Krypto a while back online and that template really appeals to me. Very similar infact to a new 5'8" I ordered recently, which is going to be a bit wider and thicker so more of a summer board than a step-up, but the template is virtually identical and it's fairly low rockered also.

You got yourself a bit of a bargain there! 8)
splinter

Postby leemuzz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 pm

So many nice looking boards on this thread.
I headed down to beachbeat surf shop the other day and saw a few nice boards, then one that really caught my eye, the "menace", its basically a rusty dwart. Now I already have one of these and its great but this was a really nice refined version of what I have, a little thinner a little narrower, no bump in the back end, nice round pin, just what I think I'm gonna order as soon as I have the funds, so probable next winter :roll:
leemuzz

Postby shackattack2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:20 am

After having a bash on Decorators Bart board.........

Voila:

Walking past Beach Beat today I seen it on sale and could not resist

:-D

I'm hoping this will be a go to board large or small. Rather than a continuous curve it pulls more in at the tail than the crypto Waves tomorrow morning so ride report coming up

6 x 20 x 2 1/2
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Nice boards, one and all :D

Anyone seen the new Quik movie 'Moments'? It's a freebie full-length on Youtube and has Craig Anderson riding one of those Haydens at solid G-land. Really good little section, worth watching.
Archy_is_God

Postby tynemouthmatt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Started what will be my step up board when finished (rocker shaped in and both side leveled)........not actually decided on an outline template yet. was going to be a 70's pin ish or asym but now I have no clue...too many ideas..too little foam to play with!

5'10" x 20-20.5?" x 2 5/8", really foiled out, wide point 1" forward, 4.25" nose rocker, 1 3/4" tail rocker. and who knows on fin set up!

Bottom will be rolled entry to spiral V starting under front foot to flat out the tail behind the fin/s.

CIMG0751.JPG
CIMG0751.JPG (134.07 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

CIMG0753.JPG
CIMG0753.JPG (134.57 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
tynemouthmatt

Postby splinter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Anyone seen the new Quik movie 'Moments'? It's a freebie full-length on Youtube and has Craig Anderson riding one of those Haydens at solid G-land. Really good little section, worth watching.

Good film this....lovely G-Land footage. 8)
splinter

Postby shackattack2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 am

After a few surfs on the above board I realised it wasn't quite for me. Fast, but very tracky. Think the tail is too pulled in which makes it stiff. The round pin in the Hypto Crypto is the way to go, giving it all the right elements for a quiver killer.....was chatting to a guy just back from West Java and he says he rode his in everything.

Anyway, I went back to what I know best:

:-D
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Finally got the JP out in a bit of juice today.

Still feels really planted and drivey, no skitteriness or 'hovercrafting' at speed.

Paddles into waves nicely, no stickiness on take-off and doesn't pull up the face or start fishtailing in the barrel.

It seems ideal for solid, peaky overhead beachbreak as well as shoulder-high slop. Bit of a swiss army knife, really....

Stoked! :P :drunken: :cheers: :thumbright: :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby steveo100 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Nice one Archy , i saw the surf report for the uk the other day and thought that there may be a few more ride reports on route for this thread . Good to hear the newie is working out for you .
steveo100

Postby Chrisisted » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:30 pm

had JP shape me a board on same sort of template as archy_is_god but a little bigger 6'2x 20.5x 2 5/8 as i prefer slightly wider/thicker boards

jp resize.jpg
jp resize.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

looking forward to getting it in the water, although need to get the nose fixed as the glassing on the top was busted by TNT
Chrisisted

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Ideal! :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby splinter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Not exactly a step-up but just to keep the thread alive with yet another new board....

My "summer" board has landed:

DSC06054.jpg
DSC06054.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

5'8" x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8 - "Mushy Pea". Wide point forward, plenty of volume up in the nose, bit of a short, wide and thick mofo, kind of McCoy-esque in terms of volume relative to it's length.

Bottom starts out almost immediately with a subtle vee/hull entry, then double concave which starts out shallow but gets pretty deep through the fins, creating a spine along the bottom, then vee out the back. Again I went for Epoxy resin.

Rocker looks to be similar to the Trunk up front, but where as the Trunk has 2 & 1/8" of tail rocker, the Pea has only 1 & 1/2" so I would imagine this having some pretty awesome speed to it!

Here pictured next to the "Trunk" from earlier on in the thread:

DSC06059.jpg
DSC06059.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

5 fin boxes (lokbox)

DSC06063.jpg
DSC06063.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

I cleaned off the Trunk today to put a new coat of wax on it so had the chance to inspect the board for dents, crazing, etc. There simply isn't even the slightest blemish anywhere on the board! No crazing, no heel dents, it looks like new still. Epoxy well worth the little bit of extra cash imo.

Getting the new board coincided with the arrival of wind so no telling when I might get it wet yet. :roll:
splinter

Postby zboy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 am

a nice pair of boards, crisp and white, i cant see why you wouldnt use the the mushy pea for quality winter waves jus my opin very nice. :-)
zboy

Postby steveo100 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I agree with Zboy my 5'9'' diplock fish looks to be a very similar out line just a different tail,although hard to be sure without seeing them side by side. Anyway i've had it out in much bigger waves than i thought i could. it'll handle 6 feet steep but not really hollow waves no worries but you have so much speed its had to know what to do with it some times !! I'm sure its got more to offer too but more than 6' is hitting my limit tbh
steveo100

Postby splinter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Yeah well I guess it's all down to the rider really. Not that I ever venture out in truly epic surf but as it begins to creep overhead I find a bit of extra length gives me more confidence.

Not had a board this short before though so will be interesting to see how I get on with it.
splinter

Postby zboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm

pics of me board in the racks at ab3 (glide) cant wait to get my paws on it :-D its the pink one
pink.jpg
pink.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
zboy

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design