Short step-ups: Wizard Sleeve, Rusty Slayer, 4th Teardrop et

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Short step-ups: Wizard Sleeve, Rusty Slayer, 4th Teardro

Postby roberdy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm

zboy wrote:pics of me board in the racks at ab3 (glide) cant wait to get my paws on it :-D its the pink one
pink.jpg

And mine's the one below it, seriously, mine is only 6'0, zboy's looks about 4'6 :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Nice, so what are the dims zboy?
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Don't forget its all relative - roberdy is 17 feet tall & I think (not sure why) zboy is 17 inches tall? :lol: I have a friend who counts his 6'1" thruster as his step up but that's a good few inches taller than him so there's some size equating needed also in comparisons. Maybe someone else could be more specific in explaining?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby rodent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Could be my 6'4 on the bottom :-D
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby zboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 pm

5.5 by 20 by 2.5 totaly changed my board and dim at the last hr
zboy

Postby roberdy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 pm

rodent wrote:Could be my 6'4 on the bottom :-D

Nope, deffo mine, thats the colours i asked for! :lol: :-D
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby zboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

pick it up on sat went for a surf today smallest surf ever off the cliff caught a few real weird to get back on a short board after 8 months on me simmons,paddles real well and catches even a ripple so cant be bad.
board 020.JPG
board 020.JPG (51.77 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
its a 5.4 by 20 by 2 3/4 with renforced tech cloth the pink stuff and the dark shadows. :-) and all made by paul at glide boards :-)
zboy

Postby roberdy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am

my version of this is sitting in a box at my flat right now but I can't get home to unwrap it for another 5 hours, champing at the bit ftw!!!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby steveo100 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am

The new boards!! :mrgreen:
The round pin one on the left is the same as the one that splinter posted at the begining of this thread for bigger days 6'2 x 19" 3/4 x 2" 5/8 and the other is a choad 5'10 x 19" 1/2 x 2" 1/2, both shaped from pu blanks and glassed in epoxy 4oz 6oz decks and 4oz bottom they weigh the same as a normally glassed board but super strong . Both have lockbox fins. Diplock do such nice boards plus Bro and paul are relly nice guys to deal with, all in all i'm super stoke with them. Ive only ridden the chaod so far but first impressions and really good, really drivey and so so fast. All i can say is believe all the good things you hear about the choad. 8)

managed to score a nice little wave the same day as i picked them up too :shock:
Attachments
fistral.jpg
fistral.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 991 times
new board resize.jpg
new board resize.jpg (36.41 KiB) Viewed 991 times
steveo100

Postby splinter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Nice!

Had my 6'2" "Trunk" out at low tide croyde earlier this week, some nice head high sets coming through and the board felt so sweet on the drop and on the open face.

Recon it'll be sweet for you back in N Spain!
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Hey how's it going,
Yeah waiting for some bigger days to get the trunk wet but it looks like its gonna fly! trouble is now i've got my travel boards sorted i'm itchin to go somewhere like indo or central america but its not looking like it'll happen for a day or two.

Hows the mushy pea are you still loving it?
steveo100

Postby splinter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah I'm somewhat itching to get away too really, you're off somewhere shortly then from the sounds of it....?

Mushy Pea is great and my "everyday" board, goes great as a quad or thruster. I tend to turn to the 6'2 when it gets to head high, something about it just feels so dependable on a steeper drop and I love the way it holds on the face, no "twitchiness" if that makes sense. The thing about the Trunk that surprised me is it's also pretty good in average surf. The Mushy Pea will also cope with anything I'm capable of surfing. Nice to have a couple of options.

Have just sold an old Tuflite Egg and some other stuff so have some cash to spend. Going to order a "Lumus" by Empire, something a bit "alternative" and different, have been itching to try one for ages, will see where that takes me. 8)
splinter

Postby steveo100 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:19 pm

:lol: funny how we have very similar ideas about boards ! When 'Goat' on here bought his 'Lumus' last year i was very taken by it and still am but i bought my Diplock quad fish instead.

I'm keen to try a twinzer, i got a taste for the twin feel after sticking some MR twins fins in my old RNF last summer, I couldn't afford a new board at the time so changed the feel of an old one. It took a few waves to get my head around the speed and the twitching but i loved it. You just get this lovely drag free feeling, every surf i came out of the water with a beamimg grin on my face.
If i get a twinzer i would love an incut twinzer fish by Royal. The black one with the mexican rug resin job on his web site says naughty things to me :wink:

As for going on surf trip i've got nothing planned but i might put my f**k it head on and go somewhere after the season .i've got a good offer of work in the pipe line so we'll have to wait and see waht happens with that.
steveo100

Postby splinter » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I hear you on the incut fish!

Have yet to try a twin fin but loving the Mushy Pea as a quad lately, injects a lovely swooping glide to the board.

So many variables to try!
splinter

Postby PassThePeas » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 am

Shameless sale spam but my Mollusc for sale here which is along these lines

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34985
PassThePeas

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Formula Energy, looks just right to me:

http://formulaenergy.com.au/formula-ene ... n-step-up/

Also, the same logic applied to far more serious equipment:

http://formulaenergy.com.au/2012/10/purple-slab-chaser/

Yikes! :shock:
Archy_is_God

Postby sandman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm sure I saw that hypto krypto in the Maldives a few weeks ago. I looked at it on the doorstep every day for ages and wanted to steel it. I wouldn't have stole it but wish I could have had a go on it.
sandman

Postby The Decorator » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:19 pm

sandman wrote:I'm sure I saw that hypto krypto in the Maldives a few weeks ago. I looked at it on the doorstep every day for ages and wanted to steel it. I wouldn't have stole it but wish I could have had a go on it.

If you were on Lohifushi and it was outside room 131 you'd have been more than welcome to have a go on it!
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby sandman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 am

I was mate, wish I asked now. I had the blue lost fish. I think you moved out to the cabins when I was going to ask. Oh well next year maybe. Do you live in uk?
sandman

Postby The Decorator » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 am

Shaved head? From Channel Islands? Originally from SW but now living in Aus on Sunny Coast.
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby sandman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 am

Yeh mate that's me. Sunny coast sounds better then Croyde but homes home. Great trip though hope you had a good one.
sandman

Postby surfrat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

having really felt undergunned in senegal on a 6'1 x 18.5 standard shortboard i ended up riding my 5'9 rocket in the big stuff just to get in early and set me up for a smaller inside section.
now convinced a short step up is the way to go...especially having seen some Saffa's cruise into big waves on their 6'5 chunky round pins....

so i think a 6'4 or 6'3 x 19.5 with width forward a bit but well foiled tail into a round pin is the way to go. something to paddle in nicely and have width and stability immediately under my front foot.

everybody still liking their mini step ups? how they holding up in the winter swells
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby swiggy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:25 pm

surfrat wrote:
so i think a 6'4 or 6'3 x 19.5 with width forward a bit but well foiled tail into a round pin is the way to go. something to paddle in nicely and have width and stability immediately under my front foot.

That sounds more like a big shortboard than a short step up to me. How much do you weigh? My 6'4 pintail is 18 1/4 wide, fair bit of foam at 2 3/8, its about as conventional a step up as you can get though. I weigh 10.5 ish stone, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near as wide as that in anything hollow.

Mate posted this on facebook, sure he won't mind my posting it here

This board can be surfed every single day if you have the balls to paddle a 5'4 into a big wave! The bottom contours are just like that of a tow board but they are very lively and work in small conditions too. It's got very little rocker to help paddle. It does surf like a twinning in the pocket rails are full but concave deck. The bottom contours are what I think are going to help it handle the speed of a big wave. Width is 19.5 inches. 5 fin setup thicker rail bands.

I like the hypto krypto. but I wanted something you could surf tighter in the pocket, that would surf beaches better. The hypto wanted to be surfed fast, but I wanted a board that was fast and could be turned on a dime. The bottom contours are for choppy conditions and because double to vee double livens up the tail a good bit.
I came up with all the modifications, and he shaped it for me. I am really excited that they built it for me
They threw the sidecut into the board. I was thinking the sidecut would be a great addition to the board, but didnt tell them. Apparently theyre on the same page that I am with this board.

tys board.jpg
tys board.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 482 times
swiggy

Postby swiggy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:50 pm

By the way he's a small guy and a good surfer living in florida, so hollow beachbreak stuff, probably under 10 stone, so it is a pretty small board to paddle into big waves. I should add this part he said too

With this board though, It has all the paddling speed of a mini gun and the tail of a mini gun too. THe tail is pulled in and actually quite pinny. Not quite a full pin tail but think of like a round pin. Lots of hold, but some release when you need it. Its just one option for an all around board. Rails are shaped for 2 1/4 inch thickness so they are full enough to paddle fast and then the concave deck reduces volume without reducing planing area.
swiggy

Postby surfrat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:53 pm

guess a 6'0 would be a better size for me at 13stone. i dunno....i guess i'll know when i see it. all i do know is that a rockered up 6'1 worked average, where as my 5'9 worked better.....BUT it was a fattish wave. maybe a 6'1 with a fuller outline and a bit more width would've helped.
surfrat

Postby surfrat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14354&p=397434#p397434

was thinking of something like this but there's something about the shape that dont quite sit right with me
surfrat

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 am

The width issue is relative - none of my boards are under 19 1/4" and I'll quite happily ride my JP (19 5/8) in solid head and a half/DOH surf (depending on where it is :|> ) but then, I'm 13st....

Looking at Jordy's boards on the CI blog, it looks like he doesn't go below that kind of width either.

Rail shape, edge, outline and bottom contour can make big differences to how wide a board 'feels' too, I think.

But if you are normally riding a standard shortie at 18.5 wide, then I don't think you would want to necessarily hop up a full inch.
Archy_is_God

Postby royal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am

Archy and others will have seen this in another thread, but this was made for a trip to the caribbean this winter, with solid surf in mind...

5'8"x20"x2 3/8"

wide and shorter round pins are legitimate big wave slayers. Kind of like a round tailed fish. I've been riding an asymmetric board a lot recently, but when the surf gets solid it is this board, or my incut that gets grabbed on the way out the door.

This one is obviously a Twinzer, but I have put patches under the glass to add a thruster set up down the line - although I don't anticipate needing it.

Like Archy said, width is not your enemy, not is volume, as long as it is placed appropriately!
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby swiggy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah, it obviously massively depend on your weight and height, 6'0 x 19 1/2 would be huge to me, maybe not if your 2 1/2 stone heavier than me though. But if I was you Andy I would go 6'0 or 6'1 at most if you want it wide, these sorts of boards are usually intended to be ridden a bit shorter, if you go too big it will just feel a bit dead. And you want your feet in the right place relative to the fins and the widepoint, with a forward widepoint if the board is too long then you end up standing further forward, and if your back foot isn't over the fins it isn't going to turn well, depending on how you want to surf it I guess. Thats why if you want to surf it like a shortboard (whatever that means lol) you really have to go significantly shorter if you have a forward widepoint type board with a bunch of foam up front.

Looks like a nice board royal!
swiggy

Postby surfrat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

aye that makes sense Swiggo,
hoping to get my hands on a Fourth teardrop 5'10 to try out the concept...it'll be similar to my other board but with a more pulled in tail

might go waste some time talking to Jools at gulfstream one day too
surfrat

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design