Homage... reworked piggy goodness..

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Homage... reworked piggy goodness..

Postby royal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:39 am

some of you may have seen this on another forum, but I'm posting it here too as it has it's roots in the UK...

Just shaped this for the owner of the Haut surf shop. It's a reworking of a board I made in the UK a while ago, and I'm pretty stoked on the updated version. Here's the rest of the original post...:

The Ozzie - somewhat reworked this model for late 2011. The original was based on a board loaned to me by Peter "Chops" Lascelles of BeachBeat(UK) and Cord(Aus,) a couple years ago back in the UK. Which, was based on what he remembers them riding back in Australia, hence the name. Blunted nose, slight piggy outline, just fuller all around for a more stable platfrom to do all your nu-wave ballerina moves on. But, still very lively off the tail...

he wanted a lot of color on the bottom as he's getting a double black opaque deck so here ya go... although it is pretty tame for me really... 8oz volan all the way..

more pics when it is all done!

Humble thanks to Chops for the inspiration, history lessons, and general story telling times what seems like ages ago...
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Re: Homage... reworked piggy goodness..

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:30 am

Piggies are great - no idea why they are not a staple diet in the UK...ideal shape.
Barneyrubble

Postby dogtowatch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:44 am

Now that you've bogged off on us Rob, who would you recommend in the uk that like shaping piggies?
dogtowatch

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 pm

squire and slide 66 are probably the best around in my opinion .. :wink: great to see youve picked up here you left off producing excellent equipment rob speaks volunes that a shop owner [ haut .] has chosen you to make a board haut produce good boards themselves...our loss is americas gain ..stay safe bud your talents and ideas are missed here . :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby Chai Wallah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Adrian at Fluid Juice has recently produced one that is similar to my Royal Pussy.

The other man who makes a mean log is Steve @ empire, he was probably around when Rob got the inspiartion from Chops, so I am sure he would make a pig that would really squeal
Last edited by Chai Wallah on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chai Wallah

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm

dogtowatch wrote:Now that you've bogged off on us Rob, who would you recommend in the uk that like shaping piggies?

I'm the chap with the Fluid Juice semi pig...love the board...tis immaculate.

Scroll down here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4435&p=362012&hilit=fluid+juice#p362012
Barneyrubble

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 pm

there you go two more in the mix nice board barney love the colour looks a good finish.. 8)
mal-nourished

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 pm

mal-nourished wrote: barney love )

How very friendly...for a weegie :-)
Barneyrubble

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:49 pm

i cant help being born north of the border not like i had any say in it .. :roll: still fair play to me lovely mum for getting us out of there at a early age reckon i would be rab c nesbitt otherwise.. :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm

mal-nourished wrote:i cant help being born north of the border not like i had any say in it .. :roll: still fair play to me lovely mum for getting us out of there at a early age reckon i would be rab c nesbitt otherwise.. :wink:

You mean you can't help living south of the Border!
Barneyrubble

Postby royal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 pm

that's the shape this board draws off, FWIW...

All the names above do make excellent boards. I'd say any of them would do the trick..

Thanks for the kind words mal. Been a bit crazy over here in lots of ways..

Be back in May/june time for a while, maybe we can meet up for that surf finally...!

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:11 pm

As always Rob moving the piggie forward - that Ozzie has some real smooth lines for sure - looks like roll right though? How does the blunted nose feel - i was tempted for mine but got persuaded otherwise :wink:

getting some great feedback on your PMP - been letting a lot of the chaps try the pig out and everyone who has tried it loves it! Also been passing around one of your simmons and now everyone wants one! In fact I rode 3 of your boards this weekend, the PMP, Simmons and Joe's Incut fish (though the last one wasn't so much riding as face planting a lot) - does this make me some kind of team rider :shock:

For anyone umming and ahhing about these pigs - don't think about it, just do it !!!
mister-griffster

Postby royal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:39 pm

hey Grif,

glad you're enjoying the pig - and all the other boards too!

The blunt nose straightens the forward outline, and makes noseriding easier. The Ozzie has a somewhat normal nose width hovering around 18" but the widepoint is still set back. This makes it a bit wider overall, but maintains the hippy outline of the Pigs. It also has a more "normal" rocker curve, but still kicks up in the tail a bit. Bottom is rolled, no concave.

here's the outline, kinda off center as it almost fell over... :shock: but you get the idea...

and Jeff's getting done... double black opaque volan deck:

finned it yesterday, and should have it glossed by the weekend if my decals turn up in time... :roll:

by the way, I'm super stoked you're passing the boards around! That's wicked. I'll be back in the UK, possibly in March, if anyone wants one! :wink:

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Welsh Kook » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 am

Being part of Griffs crew I am lucky enough to sample his vast quiver. That baby blue pig you did for him is probably my favourite of the lot. The board just works so well and such a balanced feel to it. Turning the board where the meat is makes so much sense. I know your in far away lands but please keep on posting here Rob, its great to see your work and enthusiasm for the art. Chops must get a mention too, as his cord boards look awesome and as I keep hearing he was in the thick of it when all this kicked off in Oz - must of been an amazing time. Now to find that time travelling machine.....
Welsh Kook

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 pm

That's really turning into one sweet machine there Rob - can't wait to see the finished article - the elements make a lot of sense and would probably bridge the gap nicely for those who fear the narrow nose of the pig - really interested in these blunt noses you're doing - certainly makes sense when the nose is a bit wider than usual. Funny enough it was seeing one of Chops Cord models that got me tuned to pigs in the first place (I also learned to surf on one of his 6ft 'lightening bolt' single fins complete with stingers and narrow swallow tail - ooh how I'd love to give that a go now).

No wonder you think the board is balanced kook - those 5's high in the pocket I saw you nailing on it kinda prove that :wink:

I'll start taking the names and numbers for you Rob, don't expect no holiday when you're back - you could be a busy man :lol:
mister-griffster

Postby royal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 am

Hey Grif,

well, this aint no disco. If you are serious, you know my details. Let's get in touch!

Holiday... what's that anyway?

here's one I just glassed for the Haut shop, shaped by Noe

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby royal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 am

Welsh Kook wrote:Chops must get a mention too.....

Yeah, he may be grumpy at times, but give him his due. The guy was there, with the photos to prove it.

He didn't turn me on to pig style boards, but definitely was the impetus to modernize them. His Cords are pretty damn awesome longboards all things in.

Thanks for the kind words about Grif's pig. Stoked he's sharing :wink:

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby davec » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Royal looks like things are going well.Can I ask is the bottom of the Pig a foam stain?
Ta :-)
Dave
davec

Postby royal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:51 pm

hey dave,

that's all done in the lamination. kinda tricky to say what it's going to look like when it's done, but a proper plan helps.. :wink:

thanks!

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby blue_pig » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Sweet!
blue_pig

Postby royal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:33 am

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby roberdy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am

Wowzer, shiny! Got something of the square end of Hatzikians shapes about it..

radical resin work as ever Rob :)

Off to Kernow in a few weeks, gonna bring the dynamo back to scotland and leave the rusty down there for a while I think, I have been missing it!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Sick as ever Rob - those boards are stellar! may have to upgrade the PMP :wink:

All we need now is a ride report!!!
mister-griffster

Postby royal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:35 am

mister-griffster wrote:All we need now is a ride report!!!

there's 4 of these now out and about in the SC area, all of which are getting A LOT of use. One of the guys at the factory bought one too, and hasn't been off it, except to swap with a certain older shaper I'm fond of... who came in to the shop beaming after getting "one of the best rides of his life..." :downtown:

mines the avocado/lavender one (of course :roll: :roll: ) and I've been on it a fair bit recently. If I had to compare it to the PMP, I would say it is a little more tame, in a traditional way. But, goes mental if you stomp on the tail. It still has the hips I like, but the wider blunt nose, and subsequent straight forward outline makes it more stable for noseriding, and other spastic dance moves....

I'm just waiting on my new residency card to come back from the US gov't and I'll be booking my ticket over for May time. I'll probably bring this board with me if you'd like a go.

Thanks for the comments too you guys!

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Barneyrubble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 am

[quote="royal"]Image

Like that green one mucho!
Barneyrubble

Postby Welsh Kook » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Unreal Rob! Frickin awesome workmanship, such a talent. Please do bring one over Id love a go. Better get saving for May then :-D
Welsh Kook

Postby Chai Wallah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Looking at these blunt noses Rob, I think I should have let you persuade me to have one on the last board - why did I resist!!

Boards looking great as usual, good to see you are hacking it in the hot bed of shaping in Santa cruz
Chai Wallah

Postby more » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 am

love the old chariots in the pic above.....you ever come to Oz Rob ?
more

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 am

I've seen one of these boards without the nose (might have been one of Rob's actually) and if I am being honest it kind of looked a tad wierd or not quite right ...but not ugly or anything like that...just a bit different. I'd love to spend an afternoon on one of them on some waist high peelers just to see what they are like to surf. Suppose the theory sounds grand, especialy if you are noseriding. Love the look on the tails ....nicely foiled! Great stuff.
skimmer2

Postby royal » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 am

hey skimmer,

there's a couple of my PMPs running around the UK at the moment, but none of these just yet. There's some guy up in the Tynemouth area that bought an asymmetric blunt nosed pig, in olive drab, pink/black bottom that used to be my personal board, but I don't think he even rides it very much. Shame really as that board is stupidly fun...

The blunt nosed thing is subjective, some folks like it, some don't. I'm not the 1st guy to do it, and g&s/Mike Hynson were doing them back in the 60s, so it isn't a "new" idea by a long shot. Funny thing is, a few of the "old" guys I work with all say they would love to do blunt noses on their boards because they work better. But, they don't because they know they won't sell that many. Just goes to show how much of surfing is ruled by aesthetics over function.

If you see the goon with my board, grab it from him and give it a go!

rob lion
Royal
royal

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design