Dragon Board

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Dragon Board

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:33 pm

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 pm

The rails look more pinched than normal roy, tis a thing of beauty fo sho
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Well spotted Flacky.

The Dragon has pinched rails, the original one had them also. I find it difficult to describe the difference, the pinched rails are smoother perhaps when rolling rail to rail.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:Well spotted Flacky.

The Dragon has pinched rails, the original one had them also. I find it difficult to describe the difference, the pinched rails are smoother perhaps when rolling rail to rail.

I get that, I'm a fan myself. I've always likened it to loosening the trucks on a skateboard.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm

The first few waves on the new Dragon, and my first surf for 6 months. The swell was low period at 7 seconds, my surfing is rusty and I'm standing a bit too far back but the board is great and I'm looking forward to getting her dialled in with some better waves.

http://www.roystuart.biz/2012/11/splendid-baptism-fresh-wax-clean-sea.html
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Cuttlefish » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:19 am

Randy Rarick had trouble finding the sweet spot too. :shock:
Cuttlefish

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 am

It's normal to take a session or so to dial in to a new board, and I'm pretty close already. It has to become instinctive. The board felt good and I can't wait to get it out there again. She is nimble for a 13'9" 48 pound board with such a low rocker.

Rarick fell off four out of six waves and then blamed the board, ergo he is a kook.

The new Dragon is 9 inches longer, and 13 pounds heavier than the Ghost 13. I wanted to keep plenty of weight while bring it back from the 70 pounds which the original weighed, mainly to get a bit more buoyancy without going thicker. Forty eight pounds feels good, but rather light. Another 10 pounds would be nice but i'm sure that we'll get along fine at 48.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 am

Here are a few more waves on the Dragon, from 12/12/12. I'm slowly getting used to the longer narrower board, and am enjoying the glide over flat sections and bursts of speed on steeper ones.

http://www.roystuart.biz/2012/12/surf-road-golden-dragon.html

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 am

Theres some juice in that thar wave for sure!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Flacky she's a juice extractor.

Swell from cyclone Evan is heading our way so we will be getting some more Dragon action in the Bay of Plenty this week, in some more powerful waves, which the board likes. At present it looks like Thursday NZ time is the best option... not the peak of the swell at 6ft or so but the longest period at 14 to 15 seconds and a short window of sunny weather suitable for video recording. The wind is onshore throughout but if we head to the main Beach it should be sheltered from the easterly quarter.

Here's the Magicseaweed report for the coast this week: http://magicseaweed.com/Mount-Maunganui-Surf-Report/93/

By the way the video was taken at the same Omanu beach sandbank that some of the pictures of the original Dragon were shot at back in the year 2000.

It's interesting from a design point of view, as the water flow over and around the displacement tail can be seen very clearly in some of the close up shots on the inside.

It shows how the tail operates in a submerged and semi submerged state. Also, the very smooth track left in the wall of the wave by the 50/50 constant section pinched rail can be seen... much of the time it hasn't even broken the water surface at all, which indicates a low drag situation with a smooth response to rail input.

A further point of interest is the minimal flow forward under the hull from the spray root, this is due to the very low nose rocker and low angle of attack of the hull surface.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Main Beach Mount Maunganui yesterday from dawn for 5 hours, light offshore/glassy, head high plus on the sets, 12 second period swell from cyclone Evan, totally cleaned up on the Blowhole with the Dragon I was the only one out who could ride it, with 38 surfers out.. some 40 to 50 second rides, life is good, body hurts.

I love it when all the surfers ( with their hopeless industry boards ) can't get any satisfaction.. while I rule the break...

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am

Roy Stuart wrote:I love it when all the surfers ( with their hopeless industry boards ) can't get any satisfaction.. while I rule the break...

What a shitty attitude to go in the water with... I'd stay at home if that was my outlook.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:05 am

flacky wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:I love it when all the surfers ( with their hopeless industry boards ) can't get any satisfaction.. while I rule the break...

What a shitty attitude to go in the water with... I'd stay at home if that was my outlook.

Lol at you, you super serious communist person!

Since you didn't get it the first time I'll explain again: None of the other people in the water could ride the waves, they couldn't even catch them on the blowhole, and couldn't ride the inside section either.... all because of poor equipment choice plus lack of effort...so what's the point in wasting the wave resource?.... I might as well be in and enjoy it... if you can't see the humour then perhaps you should stay home yourself... if you'd been there you wouldn't have gotten any !

Ruling the break didn't stop me catching up with old friends... and they are all used to being dominated anyway so it's all good.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:15 am

I came in and the videographer said " There were 38 people out" .... I didn't believe her at first, I only saw one or two, but then flotsam doesn't attract my attention except as stuff to avoid hitting.

The thing is Flacky, they choose what they paddle out on, and if the gear doesn't work then it 'aint my fault.

We arrived at dawn, half tide dropping, and I was wishing that the blowhole was working.. it hasn't broken for a few years due to harbour dredging... it used to break every low tide that there was swell, and it can be powerful. Anyway my partner said " You could catch that" ... I looked up to a see a set showing on the blowhole, with the lips just faintly feathering, and said "hmm maybe" .... then the first wave broke softly across a 100 metre front with workable space underneath it and I was out there like a shot... most of the waves were more or less unbroken until they hit the inside section, and the 13'9" Dragon lapped it up...like I said the others couldn't catch 'em, and if they did couldn't stay on 'em.... life is good!

Besides, with a 400 to 500 metre paddle back out or as was more often the case a 350 metre walk plus 350 metre paddle, there was plenty of time for others to get some in, in between ... but they just couldn't...
Last edited by Roy Stuart on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Philshoz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 am

[quote="Roy Stuart"]
We arrived at dawn, half tide dropping, and I was wishing that the blowhole was working.. it hasn't broken for a few years due to harbour dredging... it used to break every low tide that there was swell, and it can be powerful. Anyway my partner said " You could catch that" ... I looked up to a see a set showing on the blowhole, with the lips just faintly feathering, and said "hmm maybe" .... then the first wave broke softly across a 100 metre front with workable space underneath it and I was out there like a shot... most of the waves were more or less unbroken until they hit the inside section, and the 13'9" Dragon lapped it up...like I said the others couldn't catch 'em, and if they did couldn't stay on 'em.... life is good!
quote]

This is the stuff of legend.

I see a film in this, at least a book.

But Roy, how can 'head high' be unrideable to everyone but you?
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby waxer00 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 am

i would have caught loads on my sup and easily too. :-D i would have burnt you on your drongo board.
waxer00

Postby roberdy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 am

Roy, have you seen this? It's been around for a while but it might be that the tech is finally here to evidence the speed of your boards.

https://vimeo.com/29353632
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:11 am

waxer00 wrote:i would have caught loads on my sup and easily too. :-D i would have burnt you on your drongo board.

That's the spirit! :-D

A couple of sweepers hove into sight around the point about half way through the session, but to no avail. Cheerful fellows though.

SUPs never seem to live up to their potential when I've encountered them.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 am

Philshoz wrote:
But Roy, how can 'head high' be unrideable to everyone but you?

It was nothing to do with the size of the waves.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 am

roberdy wrote:Roy, have you seen this? It's been around for a while but it might be that the tech is finally here to evidence the speed of your boards.

https://vimeo.com/29353632

We used Garmin GPS for speed measuring for a while back in 2008 or thereabouts.

Rides at the blowhole, which is only a regular beach break, can sometimes be 0.6 of a k, and I've had longer rides around on the shark alley lefts on the 17 footer, again just a beach break.

It would be cool to do some more speed measuring, but it's enough work just uploading video at present, and as the ASP found out no one seems to care about speed statistics.

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby spewing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:21 am

The video or images arnt working for me?

Roy Stuart wrote:SUPs never seem to live up to their potential when I've encountered them.

Slightly off topic but when i see video of so called "industry players" riding SUP's I cant help wondering if they are riding them because they sell them or license there name to them and get paid or weather they actually want to ride them.
Most of them can rip on just about anything and the videos always look to me like the width and thickness of the SUP is handicapping there ride.
spewing

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:28 am

I think it's sometimes difficult to get a perspective on how the waves are breaking (and how the board is performing) in such short videos when the focus is close to the board in question.

I'd really like to see a good five min video that is a from a pulled-back perspective, as I think it would be great to see the 'landscape'. Does that make sense?
Archy_is_God

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 am

spewing wrote:The video or images arnt working for me?

Roy Stuart wrote:SUPs never seem to live up to their potential when I've encountered them.

Slightly off topic but when i see video of so called "industry players" riding SUP's I cant help wondering if they are riding them because they sell them or license there name to them and get paid or weather they actually want to ride them.
Most of them can rip on just about anything and the videos always look to me like the width and thickness of the SUP is handicapping there ride.

I've been making longboards at 27" wide for a very long time, prior to the SUP fad, and don't think that that sort of width is a handicap at all, I wouldn't want to go to 30+ inches though. I cringe at the SUP 'performance' though. It's due to too much thickness, and width, and especially too much tail width and not enough weight combined with the assumption that they should be aping short board moves. Plus the paddle planting through turns is ungainly.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:42 am

Archy_is_God wrote:
I think it's sometimes difficult to get a perspective on how the waves are breaking (and how the board is performing) in such short videos when the focus is close to the board in question.

That's true although close ups can be interesting from a water flow perspective.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Philshoz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

'The Life of Roy'

A world of fantasy where an old surfer is cast adrift on a huge vessel with only a dragon for company................... :wink:..............in cinemas soon.
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby flacky » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Good on ya...

I quite simply do not believe any line up could have 38 people in it if it were unsurfable.

To suggest that 37 others paddled out and caught nothing, is stupid.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby waxer00 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:I think it's sometimes difficult to get a perspective on how the waves are breaking (and how the board is performing) in such short videos when the focus is close to the board in question.

I'd really like to see a good five min video that is a from a pulled-back perspective, as I think it would be great to see the 'landscape'. Does that make sense?

yes i concur
waxer00

Postby waxer00 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Roy Stuart wrote: Plus the paddle planting through turns is ungainly.

horses for courses roy.the paddle is what allows the rider to put more weight in the turns .In the right hands these turns are quite radical .
i say all this from the perspective of someone who still rides longboards and sub 6`0" surfboards.i choose what ever board i think will work best on any given day .i`m not blinkered or tethered to any one particular discipline . try before you buy fellas!
waxer00

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 pm

flacky wrote:Good on ya...

I quite simply do not believe any line up could have 38 people in it if it were unsurfable.

To suggest that 37 others paddled out and caught nothing, is stupid.

The others caught next to nothing, they were glum, not at all stoked, while I was stoked fully, frothing, and ruling completely. That's how it was. and it's one of the main reasons why I build what I build and ride what I ride.

A few 5 second or so rides were caught be the rest of the crew, a tiny piece of the wave here or there, but none of them could connect to make the whole wave, and even those who hung on the inside didn't get a look in at the inside section... basically they failed almost completely while I rode right across the whole beach from way outside, right through to the beach over and over again.

There were lots of people watching from the beach, and talking about how I was catching all the waves.

Just imagine you are out on a day with a nice cyclone swell... a glassy Saturday just before Christmas at the only break in a large surf town which suits the conditions... with lots of people heading out to get some, but not getting anything much due to the way it is lining up. Then imagine that one surfer has the board and the knowledge which enables him to ride the entire wave from way outside, right to the beach, just like everyone else had been hoping to do... that's what happened.... and it was no great surprise to most of those out there because it's been happening that way many many times at that break and others over the past decade... they are used to it, they expect it, it happens.

Take another look at the Dragon... and realise that it is in another realm.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 pm

waxer00 wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:

Plus the paddle planting through turns is ungainly.

horses for courses roy.the paddle is what allows the rider to put more weight in the turns .In the right hands these turns are quite radical .

I've been surfing with SUPs quite a bit, including a couple of sessions with one of NZ's top SUP riders (Daniel Kereopa) at our most famous pointbreak in Raglan. The SUPs work up to a point, but the whole setup is geared towards the 'radical' pole planting turns which you refer to and the net result is that this severely reduces the board's functional wave making potential.

That's what I mean by ungainly.

The syndrome can be seen often at beach breaks too, the SUP riders expect to 'clean up' :wink: but we find that my boards are far more effective. There were two SUP riders out on the session which I had this past Saturday, and they got bugger all... they couldn't even catch the waves out the back where I was, nor could they get down the line on the inside sections. or anywhere else for that matter. They got to observe... that's about it... and compliment me on my board.

None of you have ever experienced this!

:-)
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design