A foray into flexible cutlery...

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

A foray into flexible cutlery...

Postby tynemouthmatt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:37 pm

It didn't really take that long, infact i've been thinking about it for ages. A fasinating, archaic craft, unlike any other. Ridden by a few, built by even fewer. It has been playing on my mind, keeping me from sleeping!..............'must build a flexspoon'.....'must build a flexspoon'.

So after lots of thinking, plenty of doodles, some advice from those already initiated in the world of spoondom, I've decided to give one a go. Abandoned my half glassed pintail (will finish it at some point) and cancelled my plans for my next board.......its spoon or nothng.

I love the look of the iconic velo, it just looks right. However is not the ideal spoon for the majority of no so powerful N.sea swells. An edgeboard type spoon would be far more practical, but it just doesn't look as good (shallow I know). So the plan is a blend of the 2, nice flat planing area running nearly all the way to the nose with what I can only describe as an ever increasing chime on the rails.

Here is the proposed outline and rocker

spoon.jpg
spoon.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

This will be a fairly slow burn build thread as I have a few boards to do for other people...........but so excited to be making a start on this!
Last edited by tynemouthmatt on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tynemouthmatt

Re: A foray into flexible cutlery...

Postby seasofcheese » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Got my eye firmly on this project old chap. Very nice outline by the way.
seasofcheese

Postby flacky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 am

Would love a kneeboard. I have no idea where to start. I had a piece of insulation foam that I was going to attempt something 5ft x 24 x some amount of thickness, but talked myself out of it for some reason.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 am

Those spoons make a lot of sense, the riding position (kneeling) is ideal for making the most of the flextail. I'm surprised at how much volume is packed in there, it's going to be interesting!

If you want to spice it up put a starfin in it, it will make the flex pop.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby majordom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 am

knee riding looks tough on the knees and joints - need more yoga first !
majordom

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 am

Roy Stuart wrote:. I'm surprised at how much volume is packed in there, it's going to be interesting!.

Ignore the volume the AKU file shows, I just use it to get outline shape and rocker curve. On the file its not spooned out in the centre, hence the high volume figure.

Roy Stuart wrote:If you want to spice it up put a starfin in it, it will make the flex pop.

I'm going to try this one as a twin fin to begin with (i just love surfing them), also thinking a big keel near the rail line will flex the board more through a bottom turn as there will be more water pushing against it than if I went single fin (on pics i've seen of single fin spoons the fin is completely out the water on a hard bottom turn)...giving more projection out the turn as theres more recoil...and therefore speed. Its just an idea, could be complete bollocks, but no harm in trying.

majordom wrote:knee riding looks tough on the knees and joints - need more yoga first !

Yeah i'm not sure how to get over the harshness on knees on just solid glass without using an ugly foam deck pad.....i'll be in a wetsuit so should take the edge off abit. A more pressing matter is being fit enough to surf the thing, they have neutral if not negative buoyancy so paddling will be a bitch....duck dives will be easy though!
tynemouthmatt

Postby kayu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 am

tynemouthmatt wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:.

I'm going to try this one as a twin fin to begin with (i just love surfing them), also thinking a big keel near the rail line will flex the board more through a bottom turn as there will be more water pushing against it than if I went single fin (on pics i've seen of single fin spoons the fin is completely out the water on a hard bottom

According to Greenough , twin fins work better , the closer they are together. He tried twins and kept putting them closer and closer together, and eventually ended up with 1 fin...........IMO rail fins on a spoon would tend to negate the longitudinal flex of the tail....
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Chris F » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Can I be the first to suggest your flexible spoon be called a Yuri (Geller?)
Chris F

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Chris F wrote:Can I be the first to suggest your flexible spoon be called a Yuri (Geller?)

:lol: Genius!......Yuri it is.

kayu wrote:According to Greenough , twin fins work better , the closer they are together. He tried twins and kept putting them closer and closer together, and eventually ended up with 1 fin...........IMO rail fins on a spoon would tend to negate the longitudinal flex of the tail....

I had read this, but I don't really understand the theory behind it. To try and understand it I figured if I tried it as a twin fin and got a feel for how it reacts then change it to a single at a later date and see how different it feels........theory is one thing but for me it can't outweigh personal experience.

Greenough's a genius so i'm sure theres a very good reason for them being single fin.
tynemouthmatt

Postby kayu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

tynemouthmatt wrote:
I had read this, but I don't really understand the theory behind it. To try and understand it I figured if I tried it as a twin fin and got a feel for how it reacts then change it to a single at a later date and see how different it feels........theory is one thing but for me it can't outweigh personal experience.

Greenough's a genius so i'm sure theres a very good reason for them being single fin.

Yep, only way to know for sure.......although , you gotta use glass-ons......My thinking was that the glassed on rail fin would stiffen the fore & aft flex in that area, whereas , a centre fin would allow the whole flexible tail to bend freely when put on a rail. Its interesting watching footage of GG in larger waves ...he appears to displace a lot of water without loosing speed , and accelerates quickly through cutbacks....or maybe its an illusion due to low COG ?
kayu

Postby seasofcheese » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Sides will work in some way, glass them on and if you dont like them, or even if you do like them, grind them off an add a single. If you do go single mail me and I will send a greenough template from the original.
I think its worth a shot, be careful how you glass them on as they will stiffen the effective flex on the end of the rail which will loose the mojo.
seasofcheese

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Brilliant, I'm looking forward to seeing this one's progress. Just saw this post on the Aussie Fish Fry page
http://thealleyfishfry.blogspot.com/201 ... spoon.html
Some great pics there, and 'The Yuri'- definitely genius.
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Postby more » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I'd be doing what George does, cant go wrong with copying him to start with, then make adjustments from there......should be interesting to ride thats for sure.... 8)
more

Postby Matt Rose » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:44 am

Matt Rose

Postby tynemouthmatt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Not at the moment, managed to glue up a blank from xps but haven't found the time to shape it. Hopefully will get a chance this coming week.
tynemouthmatt

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:25 am

now I know why they call them spoons.....never seen anyone surfing these....looks fun. Good luck with Yuri.
skimmer2

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 am

there was allways something futuristic about spoons when they first appeared i used to kneelo as well as stand up surf mid seventies around the northern beaches and had a nice little peter crawford spoon ...i was using my 8ft 3in twinzer yesterday as a kneeboard as my wrist was a bit sore from sparring and popping up was hurting a bit on it was pretty stoked on some of the little kegs and doubly stoked when one of the older crew said i dont really get off on kneeboarding but that was pretty impressive when slotted in and out the barrel 2 or 3 times on one wave even my wife who was sat atop the cliff remarked on that one wave...get in there matt ps .can you send me your addy got those dvds to send to you .... :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 am

^^nice one Mal - is that the 1st ride report of Joe's board then ?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

yes sort of had a few stand up waves but didnt want to aggravate the wrist teach me not to strap my hands felt ok the board held well in the curl i even went side on so could look up at the roof through one section were clean zippy little buggers just off for more of the same now ...hows my carver the one i never rode.. :roll:
mal-nourished

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 pm

mal-nourished wrote:yes sort of had a few stand up waves but didnt want to aggravate the wrist teach me not to strap my hands felt ok the board held well in the curl i even went side on so could look up at the roof through one section were clean zippy little buggers just off for more of the same now ...hows my carver the one i never rode.. :roll:

Yeah - like to hear more about that board....looked the most tempting to me for a while.
skimmer2

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:24 pm

will give you the lowdown when ive had it out a bit more skimmer so far so good also you can have first dibs on it if i pass it on ....soz for thread hijack TM.. :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 pm

mal-nourished wrote:yes sort of had a few stand up waves but didnt want to aggravate the wrist teach me not to strap my hands felt ok the board held well in the curl i even went side on so could look up at the roof through one section were clean zippy little buggers just off for more of the same now ...hows my carver the one i never rode.. :roll:

Mate , it's up in the racks in the garage ..... there's 3 in there I haven't even ridden , disgraceful ! Gonna sell a few - Carver not been yet wet :evil:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm

know that feeling johnny if you still have it in july bring it down we can christen it together.. :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby JoeHart » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Heres how far I've got on with my wooden flex spoon

cheers Joe
JoeHart

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:36 pm

nice one joe i see mike [ acre ] is doing some nice work with his boards...hope you boys scored w/end .. :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby kayu » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTReeFBdg0s.......some nice surfing......on what is commonly refered to as...............a hull :shock: ......shades of MP at Kirra.. 8)
kayu

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 am

sweet footage kayu... :wink: tyne matt dvds on the way the believe is a signed copy enjoy..
mal-nourished

Postby tynemouthmatt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Current progress: outline cut (board on the left if you didn't already guess) just need to actually shape it now! Other boards in shot take priority though :-)

Ended up being 5'1" instead of 5'2" when I was drawing out the template....doesn't really matter though.

CIMG1752.JPG
CIMG1752.JPG (132.1 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

When its shaped and glassed I will use it as a mould (technically its a plug) to make the actual spoon.
tynemouthmatt

Postby JoeHart » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 pm

me likey : ) Missed all this swell mal, Angus's 5th birthday so that kept us busy all weekend : (
JoeHart

Postby tynemouthmatt » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Foam dust is obviously addictive......cleaned my garage up this morning, saw my spoon plug sitting in the rack, unshaped and gathering injuries from being knocked by boards etc. Was going to give myself a little break from foam but before I realised the planer was out and the foam was flying.

spoon.jpg
spoon.jpg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

I have tried to keep as much flat planing area as possible, chine goes up to just over half way before blending in, from then on roll increases towards the nose

sppon2.jpg
sppon2.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

spoon3.jpg
spoon3.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

I had just enough epoxy and glass left to give it one layer of 6oz....will be hotcoated in poly though to keep costs down and I have a fair bit of it in the garage. Next stage is to attach to a plank of wood, bead the edges, hotcoat and work on getting it good enough to mold from.
tynemouthmatt

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design