Calculating Surfboard Volume

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Calculating Surfboard Volume

Postby insideout » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 am

Hi everyone, looking to calculate my current boards volume as i'm looking to buy a similar board but it has slightly different dims and i can't actually go and see the board as its in a different part of the country!

Obviously cubic volume will be Length x Width x Thickness, but i don't see how this can be accurate as surfboards aren't rectangular :lol:

Current dims 5'5 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4

Board i'm looking at 5'7 x 19 x 2 1/8 (-1/2 inch at widest point, - 5/8 thickness and + 2 inches in length)

Both boards are low rocker, single all the way through grovel type boards. So looking at the dim's i don't see there being much difference in volume, what do you think?
insideout

Re: Calculating Surfboard Volume

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:21 am

Go on the Firewire webpage, find a board that's the same length and planshape as your board from their range... this will give you a rough idea of your boards volume, taking a couple of inches from a boards length doesn't reduce that much volume, but add an 1/8 to a 1/4" on the thickness, this beefs up volume.
Last edited by buttholesurfer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buttholesurfer

Postby Philshoz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 am

Go through some of the boards in the MSW store.http://store.magicseaweed.com/product.php?productId=55914
25 ltrs :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby insideout » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:49 am

so the 5'7 looks like its going to be around 27ltrs.

my current i think is around the same can't find anything online to exact dim's.

didnt realise msw had started putting volumes in the description, thanks for help.
insideout

Postby Poo Stance » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Poo Stance

Postby insideout » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

unfortunately not poooo.
insideout

Postby majordom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:32 pm

download free akushaper or similar and recreate it online - they give a volume (i think)
majordom

Postby roberdy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:21 pm

majordom wrote:download free akushaper or similar and recreate it online - they give a volume (i think)

Think Aku gives you volume in beers if I'm not mistaken (could be another cad program though!)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Logan5 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 pm

I use boardcad. Works really well for volume estimations.
Logan5

Postby frosties » Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Theres some old greek king (kind of guessing here) who thought the the guy who made his crown was ripping him off. He took the said item and put it in a tub of water. Once you measure how much the water has risen the crowns volume can then be calculated. I have no idea how to go about doing this with a surfboard but its something I've always thought to me seems more important than length and girth in the centre. I think it was archamides and word on the street is that is where "Eureka!" came from. Let me know if you find a massive measuring container. Maybe a local uni maths dept can help?
http://www.driftwoodsurfboards.co.uk/#
frosties

Postby kayu » Thu May 03, 2012 6:18 am

A lot of people seem concerned about volume in recent times...probably because of the Aku beers/litres thing.....its only important within a certain range variation , unless you surf at pro level....I sometimes ride a 5' 10" twin fin in the morning and a 10ft longboard in the afternoon.....your fitness and adaptability are far more important than sticking to a certain volume IMO..... and a good design will perform as it should , unless its way too big or way to small...... :wink:......and then ,a healthy diet as opposed to a family sized pizza every night will throw the whole equation into chaos !
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design