Grain Surfboard Kits

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Grain Surfboard Kits

Postby mouthofthedragon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 am

Hello,

Have been thinking about making my own wooden surfboard and found these kits online. Haven't really done much woodworking so thought this might be a good start and maybe buy and cut my own wood should I make a second board.

http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/kits/surf ... surfboard/
http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/info/grai ... oard-kits/

Any thoughts or comments from people with more experience in this kind of thing greatly appreciated.

Thanks
mouthofthedragon

Re: Grain Surfboard Kits

Postby lecky94 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I started messing around making wooden boards a few years ago, just for something to do on long winter nights.I didnt bother with a kit,just worked out how to do it then got hold of some cedar from my local timber yard.Im no joiner by any standards,but they came out quite nice, it does gives you alot of respect for the guys that do this as a day job though..give it a go,if it doesnt surf well hang it on the wall! plus my first one cost me £80.00 to build not £695.00
lecky94

Postby blue_pig » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:57 pm

If it's plans you are after then try:

http://treetosea.org/richs-template-shop/

My first was the mal - then the others I've either been given a set of templates or created my own. If it's a longboard you fancy I'll be posting up a design for people to try for themselves. Grain surf forum is a good place for details of build method. Less than a hundred quid is a good ballpark for a first board. Lecky has a woodie up for swaps too..
blue_pig

Postby Tim in Yorkshire » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Sorry for dredging this thread up, but how easy is it in the UK to get the material for these plans?
Tim in Yorkshire

Postby blue_pig » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Easy - depends how resourceful you can be, anything from pine, ply or recycled timber works well enough. Sometimes eBay throws up some cheap balsa, a guy in newquay has paulownia, skips have cedar...
blue_pig

Postby slipslide » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 am

i have a grain kit, not got round to building it yet, but it looks great and is a real easy way to do a first build. I got mine in a private sale, £650 sounds steep to me but it does take all the hassel out of it. and the instructions are excellent.
slipslide

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design