mid-lengths

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: mid-lengths

Postby VillageIdiot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 am

Archy, you are welcome to take my hull for a spin before ruling that option out. Might be worth waiting for some decent lined up surf though. She particularly likes some of the local high tide point-esque waves.
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 am

That's much appreciated VI, may take you up on that offer.

However, as the board will also be my wife's main board, a bit of user friendliness and ability to work in more broken up surf will be important.
Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm

From brief experience of Hulls they work fine in mush. Obviously better in lined up points, but aren't all boards? I'm awaiting delivery of a mid length, which is to be my mush buster. My log hates it, and can't see any point taking the speed dialler out in it, so a 7'6 single fin on the way. I've asked for a slight roll on the bottom, just cuts through any chop.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

finally got round to some pics - the board is really refined and beautifully foiled - the pics don't do the board justice but you get the idea....

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... ion001.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... ion006.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... ion009.jpg
mrkmrk2842

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 pm

6ft to 7ft double enders IMO , are one of the most versatile designs ever. They are a simple and functional blend of natural curves that suites all surfing levels.........I like the way you have to "surf' these boards , and not just physically bludgeon them into position , with the aid of extreme "lightness".......they do like a bit of volume.......

I'd agree with that totally Kayu - used to have a 6'6" hobie egg and it was a blast - would go in everything and super quick - very fluid and you can surf with the wave instead of fighting against it. - If i were going for a 'dual' board for me and the missus to share I'd probs look seriously at an egg - soft and easy enough for a beginner but comes alive under the feet of those who know what they are doing.

By the way Michael - I think your leading the stakes for the 'Most stunning Quiver' award - a very discerning gentleman :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:59 pm

mrkmrk2842 wrote:finally got round to some pics - the board is really refined and beautifully foiled - the pics don't do the board justice but you get the idea....

For the second time this thread:

Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:09 pm

mister-griffster wrote:I'd agree with that totally Kayu - used to have a 6'6" hobie egg and it was a blast - would go in everything and super quick - very fluid and you can surf with the wave instead of fighting against it. - If i were going for a 'dual' board for me and the missus to share I'd probs look seriously at an egg - soft and easy enough for a beginner but comes alive under the feet of those who know what they are doing.:

I agree.. I would probably do the same if my wife went in when it over 2ft, but she doesn't :lol:

A lot of chaps swear by the good old Bonzer Egg as well....

http://vimeo.com/10636722

If someone paid me good money to just have one board, I may well consider this type of craft...

Diplock makes a good 'un :D
Archy_is_God

Postby zboy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 pm

kookboxx's "archies 8" midlength im liking but the "hollow point" i like more but mid length it is not :-)
zboy

Postby flacky » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:59 am

Mini Mal is the worst term I've ever heard in surfing. It describes nothing about what's actually on offer and seems to have such a wide meaning. Bollocks.

I'm reclassifying my quiver from now on. I have a 9'4 fun board, and a 6'4 fun board.

Suits me.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby kayu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am

flacky wrote:Mini Mal is the worst term I've ever heard in surfing....
Agree....the term makes me cringe!!!
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 pm

flacky wrote:I'm reclassifying my quiver from now on. I have a 9'4 fun board, and a 6'4 fun board.

Suits me.

:lol: :lol:

Had my first ride on my 8'2" Royal Mini-Log last night , what a blast , even in the mush burgers had some great nose-rides :-)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby kayu » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 am

There was a trend years back at some longboard comps , to have an event called the "8ft shoot-out". Most of the boards were just logs shortened to 8ft.....its was great to see these boards in action.....kinda like what happened in the late 60's when boards started to come down in length.....an injection of freedom from one surfing style to another....
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:02 am

Archy_is_God wrote:I'd be keen to hear more about that Hilbers for sure - what size did you go for mrkmrk?

The new 8fter will be sailing over to me on a Sea of Cheese via Mr. Mason :-D

Ta - da!

It really is something a bit special this board, Tim is a very talented surfboard builder for sure.

A couple of little peelers down the coast today, so gonna have a hunt for a wave 8)
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Another one:

Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Saw that on his facebook... Stunning. Love the shape.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby KSA1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

That looks fantastic, wonderful shape. My 7.8 roundtail arrived at the weekend - can't wait to get it wet
KSA1

Postby splinter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 pm

lovely board Archy.

Weirdly have been considering something similar for my wife, who's surfing requirements sound exactly the same as yours. :lol:

What's the thinking behind the fin being so far forward?
splinter

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

TBH, I spotted a similar HotGen style board on KP's Roundup blog with the fin in a similar position, so just slung it in. But after a quick Q to Tim, he's suggesting to start it back in the box and move forward in increments until the right combo of drive and loosenes is found.

Looking forward to riding it properly, but God knows when.. Fingers crossed for the next week or so!
Archy_is_God

Postby da ghost » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 am

New to the forum but just wanted to add my positive feedback on Tim's (Seas of Cheese) craftmanship having just taken delivery of an 8'6 hot generation from him - spent 5 days in South Brittany immediately after getting the board, lucked out with perfect conditions (waist to overhead & clean every day!) so had lots of time to get acquainted with the new stick & a whole new way of surfing. In short - it's a blast! & looks awesome too!

I had to play around a fair bit with fin positioning & have found that it works best for me about 3/4 of the way back in the box - stopped the tail spinning out, gave loads of drive but also still really loose for endless climbing & dropping. I think i'm still coming to terms with the challenge of riding it backhand as it tends to spin/stall more but i'm sure that's just my poor technique!!!

I've also taken the board out in waist high slop at Bournemouth & found it to still work really well so i'm not going with the idea that it can only be surfed in perfection. Downside to this was that some eejit ran in to me in the slop & my beloved new stick is now in for repair to a cracked rail :-(
da ghost

Postby flacky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

I think anything with a rolled bottom is a mare on backhand. You're naturally leaning back and from past experience it's easier for the rail to almost get lost in the face. I tried to ride my 8' hull more upright but never had it long enough to get to grips, see how the 6'10 is...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby slipslide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 am

This is gregs take on it http://www.liddlesurfboards.com/wetsanding.html. start 11 inches or so up. Get an adjustable fin bolt and have some fun.
Greg put side bite on my MP to help with back hand. Not really used it much yet (read that as not at all) as i have 3 boards at the moment that are just working for me so i have been on them pretty much constantly.
Midlengths make so much sense to me these day, with age and family the water time gets less. Hulls, v bottoms, twins, quads, nuggets, eggs all keep things interesting and more importantly keep me smiling.
slipslide

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Heels, ankles, toes, leverage...

The same backhand issue can be manifest in wide-tailed fish and other boards as well.

Tim mentioned that a pair of side runners can help, but technique is the key from the sound of it.

Da Ghost - have seen pics of your board, looks lovely :D

One of the reasons I went with the Hot Gen model is it's ability to turn from different points, not just a forward point, but I will also be struggling with a transistion for a little while I think; not least because the longest board I have ridden for several years is a 6'8" semigun! :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby ears » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Hey archy... Fantastic looking board you got there... I was the original owner of the fine line hot gen posted above, I found it to be pretty sensitive in terms of fin placement. Worked best in the middle of the box.. An inch out and the board hated it.. It should be way more manouevreable than a hull and rides really really well off the tail... A real blast to ride, lots of hull like trim but stomp on the tail and it'll whip round. Nice score!

Ears :-)
ears

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:38 am

That's the ticket!

Now, where are the waves?
Archy_is_God

Postby ese » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Have 7.0ft magic carpet. Use it as a single fin with a 9.0 inch rainbow rake. Sometimes add side bites in bigger waves, which with the 9 looks like a lot of fin!
Any thoughts on using a 7 inch rake with side bites instead? Worth it?
ese

Postby ears » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 am

I have a 6'11 that I use a 7.75" centre fin with (glass on sides) works really well but it's a hull with a pretty pulled tail.. In my 6'6 a 9" centre fin works way better.. (same sidebites) I guess it's the wider tail on the shorter board that accommodates the longer fin. Only one way to find out! :wink:
ears

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:15 pm

ese wrote:Have 7.0ft magic carpet. Use it as a single fin with a 9.0 inch rainbow rake. Sometimes add side bites in bigger waves, which with the 9 looks like a lot of fin!
Any thoughts on using a 7 inch rake with side bites instead? Worth it?

Too much fin...I agree. Think you are on the right track about the 7 inch with the sidebites. I have used that on a 8ft speed egg with a rounded pintail and it goes great.
skimmer2

Postby royal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:14 am

always thought midlengths get a bad rap...

my old personal, now storming westward ho...

the GF's 8'6" that i get to do quality checks on from time to time...

and an 8'2" currently in the Bude area...

get your shred on!
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design