Advice on Pigs, jai lee nose riders etc

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Advice on Pigs, jai lee nose riders etc

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 pm

I've definitely ruled out a full on pig....will need a wider nose (around 18') to be forgiving on the nose. The widepoint back is what I'm after to be fair. How do your Ozzie models turn? Or would you not recommend it for a first traditional longboard?

Would something like a Bing elevator be more suited? The dims and shape all look sound. I could talk boards all day so very sorry guys haha

Sounds like some really nice dims there but would like the board a tad slimmed down, but have definitely swayed me to have a low rocker and very subtle nose concave (if any at all). I've been looking at son of sam shapes and designs which sound like a great board, especially for UK waves. Anyone know more about the son of sam shape? or how they perform? Just stumbled upon this interpretation...looks sweet as!

[imghttp://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=son+of+sam+surfboard&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=h0S2bS7Uqhm05M:&imgrefurl=https://svpply.com/item/729119/KookBox__Son_of_Sam_84__Surfboard&imgurl=https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply.com/large/729119.jpg%253F1342685360&w=384&h=625&ei=YSc9UNXeJIOr0QWX94CYDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=474&sig=113406692667631358577&page=1&tbnh=151&tbnw=93&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:79&tx=16&ty=63][/]
Attachments
son of sam style.jpg
son of sam style.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Laurie_4surfing

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Wait a minute - is this to be your first longboard Laurie?

There is a Son of Sam thread here http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29970 - there's only one guy who shapes a true Sam in the UK and that's Tim Mason

A widepoint back board is a different thing to a pig or sam - I certainly wouldn't recommend an Elevator as your first longboard, but the template is more in keeping with a more parallel type of shape with wide point back. If this is your first longboard I'd probably look at something in the 'neutral' variety. I think something like the Jai Lee would suit better - but there are plenty of other shapes too.

BTW the tail on that Kookbox is WAAY wide - think it's up around 17 1/2 off memory.
mister-griffster

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 pm

BTW - the board skimmer2 has is a beaut and reckon he's about right with the advice.

Look at the Christenson Bonneville for dims and template - a proper PMP - I've only ridden a Chrsitenson slider but can tell you it's a proper heavy log and the smoothest longboard bar none I've ever ridden - work with it it's a dream ride. Here's the Bonneville

http://iconsofsurf.com/products/details.php?ssid=&id_key=&product_id=3923

I would also ask - What is it you want from longboarding? Do you simply want something with paddle power, easy to turn, surf kinda like a shortboard - or do you want to glide, trim, walk - the full 4 steps kinda range? - Think about what you want to achieve, and how you want to ride, take your size and ability into account ad that will sort the dimensions for you.

If the board is 9ft+ then why worry about a couple of inches here and there - it makes a massive difference to a shortboard but honestly, you'll have to step up to the advanced level to be discerning about an inch or 2 in length. A good shaper will sort the dims out for you - don't get too hung up on them or you may find yourself going for an unsuitable board because the way you surf 'in your mind'. From experience how we 'mentally' surf and realistically surf can sometimes be a world apart- myself included in that. It's grand that you have an idea of what you want, but let the shaper perform his trade and he'll tune something for you
mister-griffster

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

It aint my first longboard but first traditional style. Just wanted to try something different and make me a well rounded surfer. Used loads of boards for the time I've been surfing but never a trad. longboard so very keen to get one next, just wanting to find something new and exciting (hence why I first thought pig).

You are right. I've done so much research on traditional board designs that I have over thought it completely!! Just love knowledge and history yknow, it's nice when talking to others about it and knowing your own boards and the influences.

I want something heavy-ish, that has nose riding ability (for longer than 2 seconds lol), smooth turns (not short, snappy turns) and something I can glide on for those lazy days haha. Paddle power aint an issue as I'm use to shortboards so not fussed if it aint the best paddler. That about sums it up without talking dims :-) Deffo using a shaper and going custom!
Laurie_4surfing

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Loving the Chris Bonneville boards! That's a great shout as that's the sort of thing I had in my head when I first started looking at traditional equipment. Stumbled across this on his website.... :-D :-D

http://iconsofsurf.com/products/details ... ct_id=3965

That about sums up what I'm after :-) even down to the paint job haha love a good ole nose dip!
Laurie_4surfing

Postby dogtowatch » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Sounds like Rob Royal's Gip! would fit your bill too.
dogtowatch

Postby samiad66 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 pm

For my two pence, if you want British I would look at;

http://www.slide65.com/slide65-surfboard-models.php
http://empiresurfboards.blogspot.co.uk/ ... l/Cassette
http://www.gulfstreamsurfboards.co.uk/saunton.html

I've got the Slide65 Cruse Control model, great traditional board with out being to sluggish and not an out and out noserider. 9'6"x18"x23"x16"x3" 60/40 rails, nice concave, hippy tail, relaxed rocker. Works well with both raked Greenough 4a style fins and TA Heritage fins depending on what your into.

Don't get sucked into the hipster type stuff, it's to easy, like Gato Heroi etc. They are hard to surf for even the most talented of surfers, we don't have the long cali style points here in England for those type of boards (well down here in Cornwall anyway) so a board that works in beaches I find is just as important.

Thats why Rob's board work for me.

Hope I've contributed in somewhat
samiad66

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Yeah, was looking at that model last week and it does seem it fits the bill :-) Will wait until rob next comes back to UK (after he's back next month). His boards are just superb and I'm sure a lot of people on here can vouch for him. Still wouldn't mind some (very) minor nose concave tho...just makes it better on reefs. Sure Rob would modify it a bit haha.

In Gower there is such a variety of breaks so a versatile board is essential. They all shape good boards and they all crop up a lot on this forum so will definitely consider :) I just think a simple design would suit me best to start with and see where I go from there.
Laurie_4surfing

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm

^^ What Samiad says re: shapers - as for the 'trend' spot on too - ride a proper weight longboard, hips, not too pulled in the nose, just the right amount of tail lift, and make sure the rails are pinched 50/50 or 60/40 like Samiads

try something different and make me a well rounded surfer

You're defo on the right track with what you have in mind :wink: BTW - I've got a dagger based on a Gato - again, what Samiad says - I bought mine solely for the big stuff, try something that wasn't a pintail - but stay away from those style as they are way thin and bladey to be a decent all-rounder. IF you're a happy paddler then they will go in anything 2ft+ but they are certainly harder to work with and won't necessarily improve you all round surfing.

Go the Semi-pig route - contact the guys above and also drop Rob a line - the guy is working with some classy people and also has more than plenty enough knowledge and experience himself - all in all you'll get about 1000 years of wisdom there ;)
mister-griffster

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:34 am

I really can't thank you all enough to be fair, given me such good advice and especially you griff so thank you :-)

[quotea proper weight longboard, hips, not too pulled in the nose, just the right amount of tail lift, and make sure the rails are pinched 50/50 or 60/40 ][/quote]
That is exactly what I need, the shaper will know good dims and what works.

A semi-pig would be great, especially after hearing from Skimmer and his success. Also liking the look of the Empire Cassette model that Samiad posted...

[img][http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kic13rT6aag/Te6AH3sucOI/AAAAAAAAAxo/R-wL5-t3EkQ/s1600/cassette.jpg][/img]

But just want to keep things simple for the first trad board then I can find out what I want from a longboard.
Laurie_4surfing

Postby mister-griffster » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am

Go Laurie! - can't wait to see what you end up getting ;) BTW Poodleparlourpam has just shaped a lovely orange semi-pig that will work even in the slowlined up waves that Saunton excels at, just saying... :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby roberdy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

bit of a dredge but just stumbled across this on t'interwebz innit

http://surfapig.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/marc-andreini-pig-discussions.html
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby poodleparlourpam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:39 pm

just stumbled across this thread!....very interesting, as i finally finished designing and building a longboard all for me :-) ,about a month ago.. like you Laurie i fancied something a little different! As Jory says, pigs are so right now, but they can be a handful .the orange semi pig of mine Griff refers to, although not full on pig, does still require a certain style of riding, and some good footwork ability, but the rewards for the effort are great. i wanted for myself, something a little easier to handle but still with that lively feel, :-) eventually i came up with this...

9'6 x 23 x 3 with 18 1/2 " and nose 16 " tail, most importantly with the widepoint pulled back slightly from centre , pinched 50/50's all the way, diamond tail, gentle roll through the bottom to a little vee through the tail, plus a very subtle step in the nose.... having alot of fun on this at the mo!! fast, lively and responsive in the bigger stuff (for me thats shoulder to head high :oops: ) but trims and glides nicely on the tiny stuff. Very quick turns...helped along but the bit of vee,(im more of a turner than a noserider.)..but stable enough to get up on the nose when the mood takes, and the skills allow :lol: an easy riding all rounder with a bit of schbang! :wink:

mag sea 9'6.jpg
mag sea 9'6.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 621 times

mag sea 9'6 2.jpg
mag sea 9'6 2.jpg (67.36 KiB) Viewed 621 times
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:05 pm

I reckon that board feels as lively and responsive as a greased pig with a caffeine addiction - lovely shape - first thoughts are that it's kind of a blend between and Elevator and a Lovebird - but no doubt it's 100% Miller :wink:

Looks a hella lotta fun!!

BTW, when craft like pigs are discussed there's a lot of talk about adapting your style / quicker footwork etc which is true. But never let a change in style stop you from trying a board. As a surfer you'll naturally adjust your style to a board based on what interaction is happening with a wave, so whether you transition from noserider to pig to hull to simmons etc, you will find that your style will adapt. Sure it may take a few sessions to get it truly dialied, but what's a few sessions in the big grand sceme of things.

Keep 'em coming Pam - loving the work!
mister-griffster

Postby kayu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 am

I couldn't find the pig thread , so I'll bang this here.......'65 original pig by Dick Van Straalen.....had my hands on this board last week...it's sweet..........condition is almost mint ,apart from some foam discolouring due to age....also the fin has been replaced with what looks to be a Greenough (and moved slightly forward)....
Attachments
7731499.jpg
7731499.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 578 times
1859749.jpg
1859749.jpg (55.1 KiB) Viewed 578 times
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby poodleparlourpam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 am

mister-griffster wrote:
BTW, when craft like pigs are discussed there's a lot of talk about adapting your style / quicker footwork etc which is true. But never let a change in style stop you from trying a board. As a surfer you'll naturally adjust your style to a board based on what interaction is happening with a wave, so whether you transition from noserider to pig to hull to simmons etc, you will find that your style will adapt. Sure it may take a few sessions to get it truly dialied, but what's a few sessions in the big grand sceme of things.

Bang on there Griff :-) you are absolutely right of course

p.s she is possibly for sale! :wink: only so i can build another with a different tint...i never want to be without one of these now..i'd be empty inside :lol: )..yes 100 % Miller....but many many influences of course. The designing part is one of the biggest buzzes now for me, copying or templating just doesnt give me the same thrill. It s more risky, but when it works the personal reward and stoke is way greater. :-D

make sure you get in touch if you are ever down this way. be great to meet, and catch some waves together :-)
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:15 pm

OOH, how I'd love to bite on that Pam, but I'm chock full of boards at the moment. Waiting on another 2 in the next couple of months, and once I've had some time to cycle through the quiver I'll be letting 2-3 go, at which point I'll be looking at a longboard. (Weirdly i am actually reducing the quiver, but like all populations it's must grow before the cull).

If I'm down your way I'll definitely look you up and get that slide on :wink: BTW, I mentioned to Danni, but if you need help with a website (from Q's to build) then drop me a line - happy to help where I can.

Lovely template on Van Straalen board Kayu - just seen this on ebay, sweet looking template too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/late-50s-early-60s-ray-woosley-94-longboard-surfboard-/261123257122?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
mister-griffster

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design