fixing a crease + delam

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 am

Maybe I should post a photo. I have a creased board, creased pretty close to the middle. And then there is a large delam patch covering the whole bottom of the board between these 2 creases, and about a foot long. The stringer is damaged, as is the foam. Not broken, but you can see the crease in both. All the glass is gone from this area. I can obviously glass back over the patch, but what should I do to the stringer/broken foam? Is the board likely to be junk? The only fixed snapped board I ever rode was horrible to ride, it was obviously not right..
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Philshoz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:59 am

I wouldn't risk riding that in anything chunky............... :shock:

I think Sir needs a new board.
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Leven » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Re-Glassing over the area will change the way the board flex's, and make it far more likely to snap too. Do the decent thing, and give it to a Grom to learn on!
Leven
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 pm

I have several other good shortboards, and really have no money or even the need to buy any new ones, but this one was a really nice board, and it isn't very old. Al Merrick flyer 2, shaped and signed by the man himself, came from one of their team riders who decided it had too much foam and sold it to a friend (6'0 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4, its the right amount of foam for me with a winter wetsuit in sloppy waves..). Went like stink in small waves. I honestly think it could be fixable, even if it isn't going to be quite as good. As for giving it to a grom, it would have to be fixed first anyway before they could ride it. I don't know any kids to give it to either, its not the friendliest coast for kids, no beachbreak (round here, its 5 hours drive to tofino area with ideal beginner waves), all cobblestones or reef, plus water that never gets above 12 degrees in summer. You don't see any kids out in the water at all..

I had though about chopping it in half along the worst crease and trying to make a bisectable board, theres a few remote spots that you can access by a whole days hiking, and carrying a normal board is a pain. A bisectable board that you could just strap to a backpack would be sick. I've seen a few ideas on how to do it.. Probably a crazy idea.
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Leedsol » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I had a board crease in arugam, local fixed it up real nice, couple of embedded splints and reglassed along the crease, lasted a few more years until it snapped, worth doing, got mine done for about £30
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: watching dexter

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Leedsol wrote:I had a board crease in arugam, local fixed it up real nice, couple of embedded splints and reglassed along the crease, lasted a few more years until it snapped, worth doing, got mine done for about £30


How much heavier afterwards? And did you notice weird flex characteristics? I was thinking splints, and also cut out a V in the glass so I don't have a transition straight across the board which would make it likely to snap again. Being a team rider/pro board I'm pretty sure this thing has a super light glass job, it certainly feels light.
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 am

Some pics of the damage, tried to get a closeup of the stringer. It hasn't completely snapped, but its definitely damaged. Foam doesn't appear too bad on closer inspection, seems to be mostly ok. I'm going to have a shot at repairing it, will see how well it turns out...

P1030085.JPG
P1030085.JPG (26.13 KiB) Viewed 1109 times


P1030084.JPG
P1030084.JPG (29.32 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

P1030083.JPG
P1030083.JPG (23.66 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 am

P1030088.JPG
P1030088.JPG (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1109 times


P1030087.JPG
P1030087.JPG (31.65 KiB) Viewed 1109 times


P1030086.JPG
P1030086.JPG (46.26 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Leedsol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 am

It was a heavy single fin anyway so I didn't notice much difference, might be different for a pro shortboard. Had mine out it good sized waves (Guethary, Lafitania etc) during the latter part of its life with no issues. Crease looked very similar to yours
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: watching dexter

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok. I'm going to try and fix it, see what happens. I get the feeling it isn't going to be the same, but looking down it carefully it is still straight, I've seen creased and snapped boards either kink or twist as the glass breaks and that screws them up. Hopefully I can get the glass to match the concaves, glad I've got a power sander. Worst case I have a back up board to lend out/keep in the car for when I damage others, I seem to be pretty hard on boards and I can't afford to keep buying more.
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby surfrat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 am

worth a go fixing it, it's good practice. try and get a router to get nice straight lines on cutting out the old glass. lots of filler. and powersander will save your arms for sure!
good luck with repair. you can always use it as a board for heavier spots not having to worry if it breaks.

then get some posca pens/spray paint and cover it all up somehow
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
User avatar
surfrat
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Woolacombe

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Rickyroughneck » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:29 pm

swiggy wrote:Ok. I'm going to try and fix it, see what happens. I get the feeling it isn't going to be the same, but looking down it carefully it is still straight, I've seen creased and snapped boards either kink or twist as the glass breaks and that screws them up. Hopefully I can get the glass to match the concaves, glad I've got a power sander. Worst case I have a back up board to lend out/keep in the car for when I damage others, I seem to be pretty hard on boards and I can't afford to keep buying more.

Get more glass on your future boards, making them 10-20% heavier is a small price to pay for double the life expectancy. Team boards are for team riders who don't pay for them, so it doesn't matter how often they break them.
Rickyroughneck
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 pm

surfrat wrote:worth a go fixing it, it's good practice. try and get a router to get nice straight lines on cutting out the old glass. lots of filler. and powersander will save your arms for sure!
good luck with repair. you can always use it as a board for heavier spots not having to worry if it breaks.

then get some posca pens/spray paint and cover it all up somehow


I was planning on using a dremel to cut old glass. Think making a V is a good idea? As for using it at heavier spots, its a small wave board really, not made for bigger/hollower stuff. Maybe small days at a couple of the shallower reefs where I keep busting fins would be ideal..

Rickyroughneck wrote:Get more glass on your future boards, making them 10-20% heavier is a small price to pay for double the life expectancy. Team boards are for team riders who don't pay for them, so it doesn't matter how often they break them.


Yeah if I was ordering a new board I'd get it glassed properly, but its a long time since I bought a new board and actually chose. This was a smoking deal for a used board through a mate, and it really was a pretty sick board, I landed my first air on this thing.

Although I have a JP I got custom years ago, and its 4oz glass all over with a 6oz deck patch (thats standard glassing for a shortboard right??), it has been super durable, I've had it for years and its definitely worn out now, its yellowed and heavier than when it was new due to repaired dings, I've had to reset every single fin plug in it etc. but I just can't destroy it (not that I'm trying). I still ride it a lot, and I've broke 4 other boards in the time I've had it. Good quality glassing beats heavier cloth?
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby coxie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:42 am

Feather all those hard edges where good glass meets foam down with the sander and if you can make them so they are not straight lines.Sand off all the top coat of resin down to the weave for around 18 inches past the damage same on the rails and deck.
Use as little filler as possible to fill the dents in the foam ( Heaps of filler won't flex and just crack) and then level them off.
Don't bother doing anything with the stringer, splints and dowling etc do nothing really.
When you re glass cut your cloth into big diamond shaped patches, that way you will spread the load up the board and it will be less likely to crack where new glass meets old.
One patch on the bottom will be ok if the board has a nice concave, if it is a flat bottom then maybe two.
Do two patches on your deck, do one large patch first then make your second patch around 5 inches smaller.
Make sure the weave of the new cloth is nice and straight nose to tail and pay special attention not to sand through your new glass on the rails as this is where you want it nice and strong after the repair.
Should be all good.
Good luck bud :D
Give me a ring if you get stuck, numbers on the website

Wish i had a few like this in the workshop, school holidays are here and i'm sick of fixing shitty cortez and take off mini mals. :evil:
User avatar
coxie
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 am
Location: north devon

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby surfrat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 pm

want a big old heavy log to fix up....pro bono work just to keep you sane? :wink:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
User avatar
surfrat
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Woolacombe

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 pm

coxie wrote:Feather all those hard edges where good glass meets foam down with the sander and if you can make them so they are not straight lines.Sand off all the top coat of resin down to the weave for around 18 inches past the damage same on the rails and deck.
Use as little filler as possible to fill the dents in the foam ( Heaps of filler won't flex and just crack) and then level them off.
Don't bother doing anything with the stringer, splints and dowling etc do nothing really.
When you re glass cut your cloth into big diamond shaped patches, that way you will spread the load up the board and it will be less likely to crack where new glass meets old.
One patch on the bottom will be ok if the board has a nice concave, if it is a flat bottom then maybe two.
Do two patches on your deck, do one large patch first then make your second patch around 5 inches smaller.
Make sure the weave of the new cloth is nice and straight nose to tail and pay special attention not to sand through your new glass on the rails as this is where you want it nice and strong after the repair.
Should be all good.
Good luck bud :D
Give me a ring if you get stuck, numbers on the website

Wish i had a few like this in the workshop, school holidays are here and i'm sick of fixing shitty cortez and take off mini mals. :evil:


Thanks a lot man! Was hoping for our resident pro to chime in!

I would send it your way if I was closer, Canada is a bit far though!
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby swiggy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Thought I'd follow up on this, I pretty much followed coxie's advice to the letter, but without his skill... It goes ok, I've ridden it a bit, but never went as well as I remember it did.

I'm actually thinking of chopping this thing in half and trying to make a bisectable board. Seen a few swaylocks threads, got my own ideas too, I'm in the mechanical engineering department here and went and asked a couple of composites guys for their thoughts. :lol: There are lots of empty wilderness waves around here reachable by multi-day hikes, strapping a board to a backpack could make it more doable. The flex has been messed up by my hack glass job anyway, I have since picked up another couple of shortboards, realistically I'm not going to be riding this board much any more..
swiggy
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 am

Any advice on how to fix this minor delam?
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've got a 5 litre tin of wood glue on standby.
User avatar
Cuttlefish
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am
Location: Sunshine coast, Qld, Australia

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby coxie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Whoopsie! :lol:
User avatar
coxie
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 am
Location: north devon

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Black » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Wrong solfeggio frequency I reckon...
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4327
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 pm

I heard the Hawaiian surf mafia arranged for the fp13 to be attacked by wood borers and once it got into waves over 3 foot it self destructed. However this failure is all part of a carefully orchestrated surf industry conspiracy to discredit this revolutionary design that is inherently stronger and far superior than any other board design out there.

Sometimes karma bites back :-D :lol:
Chai Wallah
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby buttholesurfer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Ship wreck...but without the rocks.
User avatar
buttholesurfer
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: Don't bro me if you don't know me!

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby waxer00 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am

weavels?(wheyvels)
about 200.000 grand down the swanny!
User avatar
waxer00
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: little donkwhey

Re: fixing a crease + delam

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Any advice on how to fix this minor delam?
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've got a 5 litre tin of wood glue on standby.

Have you tried solarez?
Rickyroughneck
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:37 pm


Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests