Single replacement fins for Lokbox

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Single replacement fins for Lokbox

Postby Microwebby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi, thought you lot might have an answer to this one as quick searches in the web have turned up nothing. The plastic base on the front right fin of my RFC glass Speed Dialler Turbo quad set has cracked and is coming apart. Will apply super glue etc to see if it fixes it, but if not, does anyone know if I can buy just that fin. Lokbox site seems only to sell sets, and these are over £100 a set new. I ride this board a lot so want to get it sorted.
Meanwhile I reckon I'll have to try the other lokbox quad set I have on it, LBXs front and NGs on the back, and see how it goes. Might turn out better!
So any answers appreciated
Cheers
Martin
Microwebby

Re: Single replacement fins for Lokbox

Postby henryg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 pm

From what I've heard you can't buy individual lokbox fins new.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby MarkyD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm

The base of the fin is cast into the plastic with resin. Before the plastic 'cup' was used Lokbox bases were just resin cast in that shape. So if the plastic has had it I suggest you contact Lokbox UK rep and try and get a new plastic cup . And then you can recast the fin into the new cup (at the correct angle). if the plastic cup is not available use a Lokbox fin box with appropriate mold release and cast the fin base into that so you have the old style resin base.. If you have no experience of doing this sort of thing find someone local who has. I will do it for you if no other alternative but I don't really want to.
Mark
MarkyD

Postby tynemouthmatt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 pm

PM Horseman , I think he still has 3 lokbox speed dialer fins lying around.
tynemouthmatt

Postby Microwebby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, and the offer of help Marky. Might be a good job for our local ding man if I can't get round to it myself. Will PM horseman, and if anybody else has suitable replacements then let me know. As I said, it's the right hand side (looking at the bottom of the board) front fin from an RFC turbo quad set. The plastic cup part is still in one piece, but with cracks that can hopefully be opened up, glued and put back together cleanly. It's quite an old board and the fin cup has just got brittle and cracked up from old age and use.
Cheers
Martin
Microwebby

Postby Microwebby » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Couldn't get hold of a single replacement fin after a lot of phoning round and surf shop owners from north and south looking down the back of the sofa etc. But did get a load of Unibond two part epoxy plastic repair gunk in and around the cracks in the plastic cup, and it's done a really solid job on it, almost good as new. The gunk is clear, sandable and water resistant (supposedly), and a bit of wet and dry brought it up lovely. They should sort out making single replacements though, they could have had about £30 off me there.
Now to see if it falls apart under water
Cheers
Martin
Microwebby

Postby aloes27 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey, I am also looking for one fin, the front right for my speed dialer. If you happen to have this one spare as a result of your situation, I'd love to hear from you! Cheers, Henry
aloes27

Postby AB3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm

you can contact mick at classic surf supplies and see if he has any he gets stock in from the states each month they have spares and odd fins at the lokbox factory, he can get them.
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Postby MarkyD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 am

If you have had no luck with Mick then I have one. I will have to check it is the side you want.
MarkyD

Postby sailskisurf23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:15 pm

I see this thread is old, I'm looking for the left front fin from this set. Can anyone peice their set out?
sailskisurf23

Postby MarkyD » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 pm

I have a front right spare if you look from the bottom of the board. Front left from the top.
Mark
MarkyD

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design