homemade board no. 3, orange pigish 9'4.

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

homemade board no. 3, orange pigish 9'4.

Postby poodleparlourpam » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 am

hi all again,

just finished my 3rd board, so thought i'd post a few pics.

Wanted to try my hand at a longboard this time. hard...very hard! a whole new set of challenges this time round, but nonetheless very satisfying, and most importantly i had a lot of fun! :-D if i have learnt one thing...its buy good tape! :lol: bad masking tape is the enemy!

i built this one for a friend, the remit being that they wanted something a little piggy!?!, but nothing too drastically pulled in in the nose area. its 9'4 x 23 1/8 x 3 1/8, with a 17 3/4" nose and 17" tail...fairly flat rocker with a bit of tail kick. shallow blended concave upfront transitioning to fairly flat midsection to belly increasing in roll towards the tail.

glassing is 6 oz bottom 6 + 6 oz deck, with a 6 oz tail patch.and she weighs in at 21.5 lb (just right for us ladies :-) )

mag sea pig upright.jpg
mag sea pig upright.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

mag sea pig side.jpg
mag sea pig side.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

cant wait to have a go! quite looking forward to getting back on a longboard. it's fair to say i've been addicted to my green 5'6 simm, and havnt ridden anything else since i made it. had it out in everything from clean 1ft to overhead combesgate, clean 1 ft saunton to sloppy 2ft saunton to head high howling offshore saunton. got the hang (well just about) of duckdiving it too, which is handy when a huge guy on 10ft board is careering toward you with out any intention of try to turn :roll: . plan is to make another one next, maybe slightly bigger, 5'10 / 6 ft ? ...i have suffered with a bad back for years, and constantly riding the 5'6 is taking its toll, so i may make a new one for myself and part with the green...will have to see. i have a blank waiting in the garage, but also keen to make a small single fin, and a fishy simm...hmm too many choices! :-)
poodleparlourpam

Re: homemade board no. 3, orange pigish 9'4.

Postby tynemouthmatt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am

Its hard to believe this is only your 3rd board....looks great!
tynemouthmatt

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 am

What Matt said - good skills there for your 3rd board for sure
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby dogtowatch » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Bloody hell Pam,your knocking em out like therse no tomorrow.Love to have a pop on your piggish.
dogtowatch

Postby zboy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 am

after seeing your third fine effort i went to my shed and looked at my shaping effort and weeped, i had a hammer in my hand at the time and thought if i go at with the hammer could i make it any worse!!then went in doors and made a cup of tea. great effort :lol: :-)
zboy

Postby poodleparlourpam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:44 am

:lol: :lol: thanks for the compliments guys. :-D
poodleparlourpam

Postby Werwulf1919 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:35 am

Nice...are you doing them from scratch or a kit ?
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby poodleparlourpam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Werwulf1919 wrote:Nice...are you doing them from scratch or a kit ?

not really sure what you mean by a kit :? but no they are 100% from scratch. the last two boards are my own designs/templates/rockers etc etc aswell. i get most my materials from seabase in newquay. :-)
poodleparlourpam

Postby Werwulf1919 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Sorry i meant one of the kits from Home Blown. You get a pre-shaped blank and all the rest of the stuff you need for one board. But you have answered my question anyway...good work. :wink:
Werwulf1919

Postby poodleparlourpam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:10 pm

oh i see! sorry didnt know you could get those types of things. but it makes sense someone would be doing them i guess...

i had a look at your blog werewulf...love the 48 hours window vid!! :-) some terrific waves and beautiful surfing. where was that filmed? :-)
poodleparlourpam

Postby Werwulf1919 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Just north of New York i think...yeah its a great video...would love to have some stuff like that to ride at the moment...its been flat for a month :roll:
Werwulf1919

Postby mister-griffster » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Haven't been keeping my eye on the threads recently - that looks a lovely Log Pam - as a pig officiando I'd love to have a ride report on that one! - judging by the dims that's one semi-pig that should do the business at Saunton - tho I'd be very tempted to take it round the corner and see what Croyde could offer up :wink:

Great effort Pam
mister-griffster

Postby poodleparlourpam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm

mister-griffster wrote:Haven't been keeping my eye on the threads recently - that looks a lovely Log Pam - as a pig officiando I'd love to have a ride report on that one! - judging by the dims that's one semi-pig that should do the business at Saunton - tho I'd be very tempted to take it round the corner and see what Croyde could offer up :wink:

Great effort Pam

griff PM if you are ever down this way :wink: you'd be welcome to take her out...

yes you are totally right...the idea was to build Saunton friendly semi pig. I designed it for a friend ...and im pleased to say the ride report is goood. :-D . the first day she took it out saunton, she had some the top local progressive longboarders asking what the hell it was, and how come it turned better than their skindog lufi's :lol:
(i should send em link to the 'Widepoints' thread! ) ....
im absolutely chuffed that in practice its doing exactly what i wanted it to do....and over the moon its turning heads. Danni is brimming, she's had it out in all kinds of conditions at saunton so far (yet to get a chance to try it at combesgate), and seems to handle it all. best described as frisky, and a whole heap of fun! here's a couple of pics of the very first surf...i was so nervous about the very first ride report i couldn't surf myself, so ended taking some pics form the rocks, though unfortunately wasnt there for the ten toes over ...

mag sea dbs pig 1.jpg
mag sea dbs pig 1.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 884 times

mag sea dbs pig 2.jpg
mag sea dbs pig 2.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 883 times
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks Pam - I may just take you up on that offer :wink:

Sounds like you have a very satisfied customer there (Is that Danni the illustrator btw? - Very talented lady). I reckon that board will work great in most of your local breaks, it sounds like it has a little bit of everything.

Don't get me wrong, if throwing the board around in all directions is your thing then I can see the purpose of the 'performance' log - but for the life of me I can't figure out why people who ride them think they turn the best? Maybe I'm the one on the wrong track but they are a bit a bit 'sticky' for my liking - that and my basic lack of skill of course. I much prefer a single, widepoint back / tail lift to pivot that baby around, and sounds like you have it nailed ;)

More power to you Pam - that's 3 out of 3 now :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby poodleparlourpam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm

thanks griff :-D yeah Danni the illustrator (a very talented lady indeed!)

i'd really like to change a few of the preconceived notions that seem to be hanging about the saunton area! its amazing how many people have quizzed both Danni and I about the shape...Pigs??? never heard of 'em! granted i only learned of their exsistance a couple of years ago, but then i've only been surfing 6 years, and some of these people have been surfing since before they could stand.. :-) quite a few of the old boys are like...yeah i remember those! :-) same with the simmons...its the older guyers recognising the shape from way back in the day. i pretty much get someone ask me everytime im out..."ooo whats that your riding? looks like alot of fun", or comments in the carpark....i love spreading the word about the simms...they are such exciting boards, and for me they totally work at saunton. i'm a big fan of small waves it has to be said. as long as the shape is good, and saunton most certainly has its day. my mate who runs the surf museum , once a 100% logger, got himself one in the spring, and literally hasnt stepped on a longboard since :lol: they do tend to get you like that! we like to sit on the inside together and drop in on all the longboarders :roll: ...only joking :wink:

still , thats enough of the simm ranting. :-)

i need to go distract Danni enough to get my hands on the her pig. She thinks i should name it " The Fluffer".......????!!!? :lol:
poodleparlourpam

Postby Jory » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 pm

The reality is a lot of people ride longboards but wish they were on shortboards, here included. It's much easier to pretend you are Kelly slater on a progressive crutch, sorry longboard. Plus they are easier to surf/ turn if you don't / can't move your feet. Not so many people are as interested in the style and grace of a traditional approach or the time it takes to develop your surfing this way. Without some skills, pigs are just that (or possibly dogs) to surf!

As for people waking up to the sim thing. They will once you can buy one without making it yourself or going to an obscure/overseas shaper. The same thing happened with the keel fish and the speedialer quad, once Gulfstream started making them they sold like hot cakes . Now they are really a mainstream shape but to get my first keel I had to get Jools to template a board shaped by a visiting Hawaiian (jim blears beat nuuhiwa on a fish in THAT world champs!) in the 70's that resides in a guy in woolacombes Collection. That was only about 7 or 8 years ago

I keep cajoling Jools about shaping some sims, I think they'd sell well but until he gets around to riding one of mine he's not enthused enoUgh to find time in his super busy schedule. I know he'll be hooked once he tries!

In reality most people here just go surfing and don't spend hours taking the pulse of Internet surf hipsterdom so their horizons remain narrow for longer!
Jory

Postby poodleparlourpam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 am

Jory wrote:The reality is a lot of people ride longboards but wish they were on shortboards, here included. It's much easier to pretend you are Kelly slater on a progressive crutch, sorry longboard. Plus they are easier to surf/ turn if you don't / can't move your feet. Not so many people are as interested in the style and grace of a traditional approach or the time it takes to develop your surfing this way. Without some skills, pigs are just that (or possibly dogs) to surf!

As for people waking up to the sim thing. They will once you can buy one without making it yourself or going to an obscure/overseas shaper. The same thing happened with the keel fish and the speedialer quad, once Gulfstream started making them they sold like hot cakes . Now they are really a mainstream shape but to get my first keel I had to get Jools to template a board shaped by a visiting Hawaiian (jim blears beat nuuhiwa on a fish in THAT world champs!) in the 70's that resides in a guy in woolacombes Collection. That was only about 7 or 8 years ago

I keep cajoling Jools about shaping some sims, I think they'd sell well but until he gets around to riding one of mine he's not enthused enoUgh to find time in his super busy schedule. I know he'll be hooked once he tries!

In reality most people here just go surfing and don't spend hours taking the pulse of Internet surf hipsterdom so their horizons remain narrow for longer!

i personally find the skills need to ride a log in a traditional style are by far the hardest to learn. (but i will keep trying! ) with the board i just built you absolutely HAVE to move your feet. danni got on it and just got it...but then it was built specifically to suit her style...and it does. i dont think its for everyone though, thats for sure! it could be an utter dog of a board!...but Danni loves it, so its fulfilled its purpose in life :-D

i owned a progressive board for about 6 months, but really didnt get on with it.im not good at late take offs with 3 feet of board infront of me! i much prefer to be on a short board in that situation, and it didnt work well in small waves (unlike my fish - my short board at the time), and im most defiantly a small wave person...anything much over head high and im not really that into it! :oops: and the whole time i was thinking....why arnt i on a shortboard ? i had a few good rides, but nothing that could compare to feeling of riding a fish or simm. just not for me i guess.

didnt the whole progressive 3 fin longboard thang emerge through competitive surfing, and the the need to score points?? ?
poodleparlourpam

Postby Jory » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:45 am

the whole progressive board came out of people like bill stewart trying to apply the knowledge gained during the evoloution of shortboards in the 80's to longer boards so they could work for older / fatter people without being tankers. At the time anyone one on a proper old style longboard would have been ridiculed, clark hardly made any big blanks. The "neo traditional" movement we are now in the middle of only happened to a large degree as a result of tudor and his friends becoming bored with riding light longboards and inspired by riding vintage logs bought at thrift sales in the late 90's. a "scene" developed around malibu and elsewhere and that spread.Thomas campbell's seedling movie was very influential in that regard

Officially longboard contests have always been judged 50/50 on prog and traditional moves but as the traditional movement of knost, warren, tudor etc has grown and become less interested in contests so the contest judging seems to have veered towards rewarding progressive surfing more.
Jory

Postby Werwulf1919 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 am

Jory wrote:the whole progressive board came out of people like bill stewart trying to apply the knowledge gained during the evoloution of shortboards in the 80's to longer boards so they could work for older / fatter people without being tankers. At the time anyone one on a proper old style longboard would have been ridiculed, clark hardly made any big blanks. The "neo traditional" movement we are now in the middle of only happened to a large degree as a result of tudor and his friends becoming bored with riding light longboards and inspired by riding vintage logs bought at thrift sales in the late 90's. a "scene" developed around malibu and elsewhere and that spread.Thomas campbell's seedling movie was very influential in that regard

Officially longboard contests have always been judged 50/50 on prog and traditional moves but as the traditional movement of knost, warren, tudor etc has grown and become less interested in contests so the contest judging seems to have veered towards rewarding progressive surfing more.

Spot on CP.
Werwulf1919

Postby poodleparlourpam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm

You are world of interesting information jory! : ) ... Its nice to hear about more recent history
poodleparlourpam

Postby Jory » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 pm

if only some of it was useful eh!??
Jory

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm

At the time anyone one on a proper old style longboard would have been ridiculed, clark hardly made any big blanks. The "neo traditional" movement we are now in the middle of only happened to a large degree as a result of tudor and his friends becoming bored with riding light longboards and inspired by riding vintage logs

I think that's the point really - fashion. Hulls, Simms, Eggs, Logs etc etc are all currently 'in vogue' and people (not just surfers) are desperate for any connection with 'authenticity' as the modern world is so full of fakery and simulacra that most peeps don't understand what is real or otherwise anymore. People associate 'logs' as being real because of their connection with history - but really, that ain't so. The modern log has had all kinds of tweaks, materials, plan shapes, rockers, rails, fins etc that it is actually a modern take on a classic (think Old school mini cooper with modern mini-cooper) - same goes for all the other shapes in that 'ride anything' ethos - except those who ride 'anything' rarely ride thrusters or prog logs so therefore are simply being selective. I would suggest the unwritten law of surfing is to ride your equipment stylishly, 'grace under pressure' and all that. After all, isn't the thing we all rally against are those surfers who have such poor understanding of the craft they ride or the monkey shapes they throw that makes the whole darn thing look ridiculous?! Man, how can this thing I hold beautiful, so true, be a hideous beastie when performed like that. Perhaps it's the revulsion that turns you towards something different, something beautiful - and we lay that at the door of a bit of foam - a magic slab that we believe will turn our obsession with a beautiful pursuit into something that transcends.

To ride a 'log' or hull / egg etc requires placing a certain faith in the board using the wave and the board in a dynamism fashion whilst still maintaining a certain grace and flow. I'm sure most would agree tho, it's a little like a swan on the surface - mostly the mind, and the mico-movements that are required to 'guide' such 'unfriendly' equipment are actually in a state of heightened agitation / awareness.

Compare that to someone riding a toothpick on an indo reef and getting deep in the barrel - the energy / dynamism / athleticism required to ride such equipment is again in total opposition to the mind-set. Once in the barrel the mind slows, transcends, becomes aware of pure energy and sensation and has to in order to survive - rely on anything but instinct in that position and you are fish food.

Now, I wish I had the ability / cojones / opportunity to ride some of that equipment and ride it well. But I don't. I would agree, that to ride and out and out specialist noserider is one of the hardest things to master in surfing - but all this talk of quick feet for craft like pigs - if you've ever tried to ride a prog log in the same way that Dudley or Skinner do then you need super quick feet to do that well. It would seem we all have our own level and seek equipment to find the best fit to our ability.

The shortboard movement / prog log has been hi-jacked by corporate sponsors / marketing asses and therefore is repulsive to those who seek 'soul' surfing. The 'soul' surfing marketeers are somewhat more cunning setting themselves as individuals, producing 'underground' movies, seeking 'weird' shapes - but it's all still part of the big financial merry-go-round.

What sets the whole thing apart is the talent at the top will always stand apart - they will alway earn money either through canniness or exploitation - and there are always those willing to exploit, promote, use-up and onto the next thing. Fact is - it's all just wave-riding and either you 'get-it' or you don't - you either have the talent or you dont, you either have the determination, application and courage or.... well, you see where I'm coming from.

Totally agree with Jory - If it wasn't for Tudor the explosion may never have happened - but he is truly a unique individual - born at the right time, right place with the connections around him to make him grow into a phenomenon and plenty of people willing to give money to promote this 'new' old thing. I started surfing in an era when longboards were 'taunted' out of line-ups and car-parks - I rode a 6'7" and was desperate to get down in size because unless it was something like a gun then it stood out. I was a sheep - of the herd mentality because that's how the industry like you to be.

Those 'old guys' who were past it - the ones who were ridiculed, the likes of Dora, Frye, Junod, Andrieni etc... they all stayed true - they had it figured - ride what the hell you want and ride it with style and grace - the only person you're out there doing it for is you - go out there and do it to the best of your ability - maximum input = total output

So before we get all too judgemental on good and bad - those kids who were born in the 80s / 90's will be pulling out their 'retro' thrusters and prog logs in the next decade or two - there will be tweaks / innovations and new ways to surf will continue to progress - and that's all good. When I grew up you rode one thing - it was pointy and had 3 fins. You can now ride anything or even nothing and still be validated - still be 'cool' - what a wonderful time we live in that there are som many diverse craft and artisans out there and the license to ride them all.

It may possibly take a couple more decades for our minds to grow in relationship to our surfing.
mister-griffster

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Much of what appears above this post is the truth, for sure...

When I was a teenager (25yrs ago), seeing a longboard (even at Saunton) was a rarity. The only guys regularly riding them were the likes of Pixie, Tim H and Masher... Even they rode shortboards once it was shoulder-high or above before the advent of the mini mal (sorry to bring them up again Griff :lol: )

The funny thing is, there's a whole load of people who now won't go near a shortboard for one reason or another... Strange really... A bit like children who push food to the side of their plate because they don't like the look of it.

I say, try anything once. Maybe twice, if you won't go to prison for it...

Nice board by the way, Pam :-)
Archy_is_God

Postby Jory » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:47 pm

one of several possible bottom lines is that you can make almost any shape work in almost any conditions to a decent degree, if you have the skill. In reality it's partly about fashion and which part of the tribe you want to belong to and it's also about what lines you imagine drawing on the wave and how you want your surfing to feel.

the hull is a good case in point, to most observers a true hull will look like an absolute unresponsive dog to surf but to the pilot, the feel of smooth effortless lateral movement can be a ecstatic surfing experience. As long as YOU are having fun thats all that matters
Jory

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Quite right

I'm just as stoked bombing down the line as I am hitting a lip, so I'm happy most days :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 pm

BTW, after actually seeing bigger pics on a computer and not a phone, I am seriously impressed by this board.

Good work! Will keep an eye out for you in the sea, Pam
Archy_is_God

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 pm

In reality it's partly about fashion and which part of the tribe you want to belong to and it's also about what lines you imagine drawing on the wave and how you want your surfing to feel.

I'd also go a bit further and say it's the limitations and constraints of real life that shape your surfing most. A lot of us only get in the water a couple fo times a week if lucky - less in winter maybe months if the conditions aren't right. When you're not quite match fit but decent enough to surf then the fun you can get from your equipment is extremely limited. Surf everyday and a whole new world of possibilities opens itself to you. Practice, dedicate and commit and the world becomes your lobster.

Sadly the bills have to be paid, the kids nurtured etc. But whatever, nothing is new, it's all been done before - but with the right understanding the way it's put together may indeed create something that feels new.

What is authentic and what is eponymous, true authenticity is displayed only in the evolutionary process of thought. Nothing is new, nothing is real, but every creative consideration creates authenticity.

BTW Pam - Laurie is looking for a semi pig - maybe you could hook him up :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby royal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 pm

funny thing this thread is becoming...

you'd almost think that everyone out here in sunny CA is riding a pig shaped, or old school log. HARDLY. It's the same as out there. Lots of people trip out on riding a narrow nosed, widepoint back board, or even more so on the chop nosed Ozzie. Even regulars at the point that see me there all the time still comment on it, and the other "weird" boards I bring down. There's more than a handful of those Ozzies out in the local waters, and a few down in SoCal. All get the same response... And Tyler had his Riddler model out how long ago?

Pigs are still not that common out here, although they may be more so than in the UK. It's funny how the internet and blgoshpere can make it seem totally different than the reality - but that's a whole different thread! There's still tons of people riding "normal" logs, and tons on progressive shapes. In fact, I glass more hp shapes than traditional ones, both at Haut/Handcrafted and at Junod's place (Junod's own brand being the exception.) There is still that mentality or desire to surf that way, and I doubt it will go away. And, that is fine too. It's all about what you want to do.

personally, I still love a real pig, even when it is lumpy, shifty, thumpy shorepound. I don't think any prog shape handles it as well. But, for most people, just moving the wide point to center, or slightly back, on a standard shape, makes a noticeable difference, and gives you that added stability, with a surprising ability to turn.

nice board, and look forward to seeing more!
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Spot on as usual rob!

The Internet and the real world are different places. Good example in over a month of surfing in southern California over the last couple of years I haven't seen a single mini Simmons in the water and I've seen just as many (very very good) progressive longboarders as traditional stylists (plenty of those at san onofre which is as saunton as ca gets!) and an equal or greater number of average straight down the line punters. Sure there are more people at a top level but there are a lot (more) guys and gals from kids to 70 year olds who just go surfing on something they enjoy over there with no idea how cool it is!

My observation of California has ben that surfing is just a thing that a lot of people do like they might go for the odd run or kick about in the park. It's accessible and a part of the fabric of the place in a way it isn't over here. It's far more of a mission to get into and get good at here and I think tat breeds a greater proportion of obsessives!

Another interesting aside, you could easily imagine australia has an equivalently massive cool logging/alt board scene but chatting to Randall it's tiny once you get away from noosa/Byron and all the hip happenings have most of the same faces no matter where you are on the coast.
Jory

Postby poodleparlourpam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 am

The shortboard movement / prog log has been hi-jacked by corporate sponsors / marketing asses and therefore is repulsive to those who seek 'soul' surfing. The 'soul' surfing marketeers are somewhat more cunning setting themselves as individuals, producing 'underground' movies, seeking 'weird' shapes - but it's all still part of the big financial merry-go-round.

been away working for a week, and trying to keep an eye on this thread via a phone....yes griff read your whole post on a blackberry :lol: this has become an interesting thread indeed.

what you said above griff totally sums up a conversation i was having with Danni but a day before. Its all marketing..."the financial merry go round" as you put it. be it a quicksilver sponsored tanned pro in a pair of branded boardshorts, or nine plus marketing the latest retro suit with slogans such as 'the soul of surfing'. you cant sell 'soul', because then it's no longer soul (i hate the term soul surfer, BTW, but you know what i mean :-) ) you cant sell/market something pure because then its no longer purity...its just an idea of purity. basically it's all a load of old bollocks really, and we all fall for it to more or lesser degrees....none of us are immune. the power of suggestion is gigantic. fashion extends out in every direction, and is woven into the fabric of our lives whether we like it or not. And dont get me started on the marketing of "the surf lifestyle"... :-x that term actually makes me want to vomit....
poodleparlourpam

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design