potatonator-any views?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

potatonator-any views?

Postby mrmuch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am

Any of you guys ridden a potatonater?

Just after your views please before I commit to buying one.
I've recently been riding a 5'6" sweet potato which I find brilliant for most my sessions, llangenith beach break.
The problem is its ruined me for using my other boards, Webber mini fish and a dominator, they both feel pretty lame in conparison hense the choice of a potatonator.
I'm hoping a P would feel lively like th SP but more usable on bigger/steeper days. The SP is pretty hard not to pitch the nose on steep re-entries.
Any advice on the board would be great especially if you also ride an SP the comparison would be grand!

Nice one guys!
mrmuch

Re: potatonator-any views?

Postby prjwebb » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm

plenty of good reviews over at the firewire forum. everyone sounds very stoked on the board!
prjwebb

Postby mrmuch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:12 am

Nice one, I'll take a look!
mrmuch

Postby twinfin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:17 pm

I've got a 6.0 and love it to bits bought it as a small wave groveller . But tend to use it pretty much as my average surf allrounder. Super fast loose and fun rides much more like a conventional short board no real quirks . I spoke to john at northshore were i bought mine he said they had 20 come in and sold 17 pretty much straight. The way and had only had good feedback everyone was stoked
twinfin

Postby mrmuch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Cool, I put a deposit down on one today!
Read up loads of views, most people realy like them, which is nice.
Looking foreward to it, just find my dominator is just to slow in comparison with the SP so hopefully it'll be a happy medium between the two.
Thanks for the input twinfin.
mrmuch

Postby surferireland » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 am

How did you get on with the potatonator?
surferireland

Postby nrigg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 pm

I bought a 6'2" and it is the best board I've ever had. It does everything you want. I'm 6'3" and 100kg and it's easily got enough volume for me. I have an SP too and would use that when the surf is really small and shitty but from chest high upwards I'll use the Potatonator every time. Super fast and just feels right.
I reckon it'll happily go in anything up to 6ft and realistically there aren't that many days in Cornwall that get bigger. I've got bigger fins in the front than the back that seem to work really well.
Get one.
nrigg

Postby mrmuch » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 am

Agree!
Finally had enough good sessions to say its a blinding board, surfs exactly how you'd expect, like a hybrid but on the performance end of things but still loads of float due to the stepped rail.
Catches waves very well, very loose, and Super fast - with the right fins, MRTFX front and some smaller less "raked" rear fins on the back.
Goes in anything really except a bit hairy on proper vertical re-entries due to a fairly flat rocker, the volume is great the only draw back being the stepped rails are prtty chunky and on big 5 to 6 foot days duck diving can be a bit tricky, the rails are ok to grip in the summer but this time of year the extra thickness of gloves or mits means you really have to hang on tight as hell.
Great to ride after a sp, the transition between the two is not to much.
They are great unless you are into skinny thrusters, if you like hybrids and fishes this is a bute!
Last edited by mrmuch on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmuch

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 am

The potatonator is a rocket.
Cuttlefish

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design