fcs grub screw fix

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

fcs grub screw fix

Postby peteuk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

hi, i have an older board that two of the fin plugs have stripped their threads , i did/nt really want to route out the old ones and put in some new ones because its hardly worth it because of the age of the board ,
i had a thought of why don/t i just drill two new holes on the other side of the plug ,so thats what i done ,i put a drlll bit in the stripped hole to indicate the approximate angle of the hole and drilled a small pilot hole into the fin plug ,then a slightly bigger hole so that the grub screw was a tight fit , job done ,nice and tight and a lot easier than two new plugs , pete
peteuk

Re: fcs grub screw fix

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:40 pm

I've done a repair using the next M size thread. Used a starter tap then finished with a plug tap. You've got to be a tad careful when using the starter thread...other than it's ideal.
buttholesurfer

Postby waxer00 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 pm

i glassed in my fcs twin fins when they kept coming loose.the bastards are`nt going anywhere now.looks abit weird to see fcs through the glass on job :shock:
waxer00

Postby swiggy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:35 pm

I acquired a big bag of assorted helicoils from a car boot sale a while ago and have used those to repair fcs threads. If drilling the hole on the other side I would definitely have tapped it first rather than just rammed a grub screw in there.

Whats the thread size on an fcs grub screw? All the ones I've "fixed" Ive just replaced with an alternative bolt/screw since I didn't have the exact helicoil
swiggy

Postby EasyTom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Found FCS compatible longer grub screws (after loads of looking!!!) and now I've got the fin I wanted seated nicely! (A standard FCS grub screw was going too far in and not gripping enough.) Anyway, you can buy two slightly longer lengths here:
http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/steel_grub_screws.htm#UNC%20grubs

And these are the ones you want:
Standard FCS: 10-24 1/4" 2.4 5 MF-GS160S
Longer (about 10mm): 3/8" 2.4 5 MF-GS162S
Even longer (about 12mm): 1/2" 2.4 5 MF-GS163S
(Make sure of the 'S' on the end of the item code because they are the 'A2' stainless ones.)

And when I ordered from the site at 4pm they arrived next day! Have fun with your longer FCS Grub Screws everyone... :-D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A Board, Some Wax and a Leash
EasyTom

Postby MJE » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Steel into plastic just doesn't make sense - it's always going to fuck the plastic eventually.
If FCS put a steel female insert in the plugs (like Lokbox) I'd maybe think about using them again
MJE

Postby Black » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm

MJE wrote:Steel into plastic just doesn't make sense - it's always going to fuck the plastic eventually.
If FCS put a steel female insert in the plugs (like Lokbox) I'd maybe think about using them again

Not too sure about that. Steel into plastic is easy in/out. Steel to steel is prone to corrosion jamming. Would be interesting to know the proportion of actual fcs plugs against cheap copies that cause problems. Also corroded keys will round down the slot in no time, I'll sling a corroded key asap.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 am

EasyTom wrote:Found FCS compatible longer grub screws (after loads of looking!!!) and now I've got the fin I wanted seated nicely! (A standard FCS grub screw was going too far in and not gripping enough.) Anyway, you can buy two slightly longer lengths here:
http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/steel_grub_screws.htm#UNC%20grubs

And these are the ones you want:
Standard FCS: 10-24 1/4" 2.4 5 MF-GS160S
Longer (about 10mm): 3/8" 2.4 5 MF-GS162S
Even longer (about 12mm): 1/2" 2.4 5 MF-GS163S
(Make sure of the 'S' on the end of the item code because they are the 'A2' stainless ones.)

And when I ordered from the site at 4pm they arrived next day! Have fun with your longer FCS Grub Screws everyone... :-D

That's a great find Tom, very useful.......... 8)
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby Logan5 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:18 am

Great find Tom. The
3/8" 2.4 5 MF-GS162S
is definitely a great solution for worn out fin tabs.
Another plus is that the socket is a bit deeper than on the standard fcs grubs screws, meaning the fin key goes in deeper and thus is probably less prone to wearing out.

I wouldn't recommend ordering the
10-24 1/4" 2.4 5 MF-GS160S
though. They are shorter than standard FCS grubs screws, which are 5/16" long actually.
Logan5

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design