Fish or no Fish

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Fish or no Fish

Postby jujusurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 am

Hello everyone,

I have combed the internet trying to figure out where to go in terms of board shape... Fish or no Fish?

I come from a background of years of advanced snowboarding and skateboarding, even spent a few hours on wakeboards. Due to the lack of mountains in the Southwest UK I have picked up surfing two years ago but I am probably only going out 1-2x/month. I have a 6.8 biggish shortboard which I am happy in waves of the 3-5ft range. However, I would like to get to surf more frequently which means accepting smaller/sloppier stuff. I got frustrated paddling into 2-3ft and not getting enough speed to get anywhere.

So I am looking for something that surfs easy and fun in small waves, for someone who weighs 75kg. Don't really care how it holds up in big waves or for advanced manoeveurs (spelling?). Just looking for some fun with no strings attached :) . Both car and storage space are limited, hence the longboard or over 7.0 minimal are not really an option. Also, money is an issue...

I do like this Bank MK2 Fish
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jim-Banks-Mk- ... 19d52d418b

Or something Quaddy
http://www.shop.tikisurf.co.uk/p/1144/m ... -surfboard

Any thoughts are welcome!
jujusurf

Re: Fish or no Fish

Postby roberdy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

get an egg or a disc, volume + soft rails + 2+1 set up = fun, fun, fun :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby jujusurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks. i found a 2nd hand 5.10 Rusty Dwart on ebay. People seem happy with it. A bit too short though?

The aim is to get better paddle power compared to the 6.8 Roger Cooper board. http://www.rogercoopersurfboards.com/images/blue2
jujusurf

Postby jujusurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:02 pm

I was also looking at these modern fishs

http://www.shop.tikisurf.co.uk/p/1389/t ... rfboard-09

Mckee seems to have a good reputation and it is hand-shaped vs the machine shape/hand finish business of Tiki. I can't find any specs on the Mckee though...
jujusurf

Postby flacky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Quad all day long, I used to skate when I was younger and it's a blast! Don't be afraid to go shorter than you think. 6'2 x 21 x 2.75 will float you into anything. Maybe even shorter depending on your fitness and wave reading skills.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chrisisted » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Have a look on empire website at the jekyll I have a one and it's awesome bomb proof glassing too
Chrisisted

Postby jujusurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

The Empire boards look awesome! I love the idea of getting a locally shaped board, Gulfstream, Empire and so on. I can't afford a new one though and all the second hand stuff seems to be below 6.0 for more advanced riders or bigger waves. Really need something for the small stuff, like a slightly oversized Quad at 6.4 or 6.6.

Anybody knows something about these?

Thanks for all the advice so far, really helpful.
jujusurf

Postby jujusurf » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 am

On a slightly related note (will post in appropriate section, too): I need to make space to accomodate the new board (there is a 'no more than three boards in the house' rule, apparently).

Selling a Gulfstream shortboard, 6.8 x 18.3/4 x 2.5/16, with channels. Bought it second-hand at the Gulfstream shaping place in Woolacombe for I think 120 or 150 pounds last year. Had been well used and dinged before I bought it but professionally fixed. I bought it to try out going down the shortboard line but was not able to put in the time. Only surfed twice by myself without doing any damage to it.

You can pick it up in Bristol for 80 pound. Great board if you want to try shortboarding but don't want to invest too much money yet! Fins not included.

Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (28.77 KiB) Viewed 691 times
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG (57.54 KiB) Viewed 691 times
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG (42.45 KiB) Viewed 691 times
jujusurf

Postby Chrisisted » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 am

Chrisisted

Postby jujusurf » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 am

They do look great, thanks! I contacted the sellers.
jujusurf

Postby jujusurf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm

No luck with the secondhand boards so far. Thinking of investing a bit more, after sale of a shortboard and a wakeboard.

Any views on Fourth Surfboards?
http://www.secretspot.co.uk/surfboards/ ... 19950.aspx

Just wondering if I get a 6.2 Hartichoke, is it really going to give me more paddle power and speed compared to my "large' shortboard at 6.10 x 20 3/4 and quite thick? Is it all just volume or does the shape and the fins make a really significant difference?
jujusurf

Postby Microwebby » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi, Fish! I got hold of a second hand 6'4 Gulf Stream Speed dialler last year, it was old, cheap and beaten up but has fixed up nicely. It's total genius! I've been riding it in all sorts of waves, and I mean all sorts, I live in Brighton and we get a lot of slop. Fast, glidey, smooth turns, trims for speed, riding it all the time. If I was ordering one I'd get a 6'2 maybe. I took the Dialler and a big 7'0 catch anything thruster that I have to the west country a few weeks ago and the dialler is much much better in smaller slower waves.
Microwebby

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm

jujusurf wrote:The Empire boards look awesome! I love the idea of getting a locally shaped board, Gulfstream, Empire and so on. I can't afford a new one though and all the second hand stuff seems to be below 6.0 for more advanced riders or bigger waves. Really need something for the small stuff, like a slightly oversized Quad at 6.4 or 6.6.

There's a 6'2 GS Speedialer quad for sale in the 'For Sale' section ATM. Worth a look
Archy_is_God

Postby finlay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm

quick one minute musing on this topic - I approached surfing from a background pretty handy on a skateboard and snowboard (snowboarding particularly). My conclusion is Body language deveoped snowboarding is front foot-orientated, and skateboarding I think roughly even on both feet. The boards I found most natural to surf were wide point forward stubby sort of boards - fish and biscuits. This is fair enough for lateral surfing in most conditions. Proper high performance top to bottom surfing is back foot dominant though, the longer you spend surfing front footed boards the harder it may be to adapt down the line (scuse pun)
finlay

Postby cnevster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:
jujusurf wrote:The Empire boards look awesome! I love the idea of getting a locally shaped board, Gulfstream, Empire and so on. I can't afford a new one though and all the second hand stuff seems to be below 6.0 for more advanced riders or bigger waves. Really need something for the small stuff, like a slightly oversized Quad at 6.4 or 6.6.

There's a 6'2 GS Speedialer quad for sale in the 'For Sale' section ATM. Worth a look

That'll be my board. Give me a shout if you're interested juju - I think it'll fit the bill for what your after.
cnevster

Postby Microwebby » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Just to add that I'm 6'2" and 12.5 stone (80kg) and the 6'4" Gulf Stream Dialler I have feels like a big board to me, but that means that it goes in anything from knee high up. That 6'2" looks nice and simple.
Good luck with it anyway
Microwebby

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design