thoughts on hydroflex (bufo)

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

thoughts on hydroflex (bufo)

Postby insideout » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Just picked up a nice twin fin bufo hydroflew fish 5'7. Surfed today in chest high waves seemed to go really nice, has a lot more foam than my usual 5'5. Also is a twinny and never really ride anything other than a thruster.

Any body else have experience with the boards?
insideout

Re: thoughts on hydroflex (bufo)

Postby Chris_Witkowski » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:33 am

I have the same board in 5'9. I think it's a great board and goes really well until the surf starts to get hollow, then I find the rails are too full and it's also easy to get pitched on take off. Good for non hollow surf though. It's nice and light too, although quite easy to ding (my girlfriend dropped in and dinged it against my shin once!).
Chris_Witkowski

Postby coxie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 am

Must admit i don't get the idea of using a pump to adjust the flex. Surely if you pump the board up to the desired pressure then dump it in cold water the air inside the board will then shrink and it will lose pressure.
I'm sure the marketing has sold plenty of boards though.
They are also sold as having like roots of resin going down into the eps blank. I've taken plenty apart and these roots dont exist, well not like they show in the marketing diagrams anyway.

Ignoring all the marketing bs they seem ok though and people i know that have them love em.
coxie

Postby insideout » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:57 am

Sweet thanks for information, the one i picked up was one of the older ones which you can't charge. I only paid £90 for it as a friend just wanted rid of it, but its pretty immaculate. I'm sure i remember them retailing at around £500 when they first came out.
insideout

Postby coxie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 am

If it's one of the earlier ones without the valve then they are really good, bomb proof. Does it have like raked lines in the blank?
One of the guys from tiki has got one and it's so solid.
coxie

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design