Fin set up! Heeeelp!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Fin set up! Heeeelp!

Postby draxxmenvone » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi folks. I've just bought a used mental hybrid surfboard that can be set up as a quad, a thruster or a single keel. Thing is, I've got 4 fins and I don't know where they go! I want to set it up as a quad. Two fins have curved faces on both sides and the other two fins have one flat face and one curved face. Which is front and which is back?

Many thanks.

Max.
draxxmenvone

Re: Fin set up! Heeeelp!

Postby AB3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 am

Which fin system?
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Postby draxxmenvone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:56 am

draxxmenvone

Postby draxxmenvone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 am

Hi - not entirely sure how tell what fin system - think it's FCS.
draxxmenvone

Postby Obelix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 am

The fins with 2 curved surfaces (called double-foiled) will be the rear fins, while the single-foiled (1 flat side) will be the forward fins. The flat side should face inwards.
Obelix

Postby draxxmenvone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

Ah - brilliant - many thanks.

Also, if I want to set it up as a thruster, should I use the double or single foiled and should they go in the front or back boxes?

Thanks for your help folks,

Max
draxxmenvone

Postby Obelix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Leave the single foiled fins in the furtherest front boxes, and put a double-foiled fin in the rear-most (those are FCS fins you have). Don't tighten the grub screws too much, cos they strip the threads pretty easily.

You might want to pay for just one or two surfing lessons when you start off, the instructor will help you with the basics. After that it's just a case of spending many hours in the water mate...
Obelix

Postby draxxmenvone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks for your help there fellahs,
I've actually been surfing on and off for 15 years. I am just an EXTREMELY slow learner. I've had the same old bic pop out for ever and know absolutely nothing about surfing technology. Think I had the quad setup correct when I tried the board on Sunday and it seemed great. Not entirely sure how the board will handle differently with the quad, thruster and keel setups. Liked it with the quad so will probably stick with that for a while. Realise the board I've bought is a bit weird but I'm a sucker for things that look nice.
draxxmenvone

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design