Noserider advice / suggestions

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Noserider advice / suggestions

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Window shopping is a dangerous hobby - currently looking for a noserider (probably for next year but may as well start planning) Think I may swap out my current daily driver - Classic Malibu Jai Lee for something else. My all rounder DD will be an SOS - that's going to have most bases covered. But looking for an out an out noserider for those ankle tapping days.

So, I keep circling the same models in my mind - I go window shopping and get tempted by lots of lovely sweeties and that's a distraction. So I'm looking for input on a board BUT the following conditions apply to any recommendations.

1. you have to have ridden it (first hand experience is vital)
2. It has to work in a variety of conditions - as we know every board 'prefers a clean wave' but I'n not looking for recommendations for 'theoretical' lined up point perfection like Rincon - 75% of my surfing is done in weak, crumbly less than perfect waves.
3. I'm not after an all-rounder as such, it will mainly be used as focused noserider, but if it can turn/pivot well and quickly in 'ankle-tappers' then more power too it
4. Design features are not important - I don't care if it has concave, flat, belly up front, stingers, square rails, whale tail etc - any recommendation as long as it works
5. The feedback you get from the board has to be 'positive' - No 'sit-on-top' lumps of foam that float out onto the shoulder - something that gives you responsive feedback from the rails / rocker

So with that in mind I've got about 10 boards swirling around my mind, from Rob Lions Ozzie to a Andrenini Owl Noserider or Squarenose to a Bing NR2 to a Jim Phillips SWT.. and so on, and on, and on...

I need my focus narrowed, so to do that I'm casting the net wide first- so come on ladies/gentleman, lets have your input on appropriate surfcraft for the job
mister-griffster

Re: Noserider advice / suggestions

Postby Jory » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 am

hey

ive owned, ridden a lot of those boards and i can honestly say for me nothing has really bettered the jai lee! a few have equalled it. I am small and only 10.5 stone though.

The phillips swt is supposed to be good. Evil j guano may still have my old tudor nuuhiwa for sale, that would fit the bill perfectly. super tiny wave board but was just too much foam for me

or there is a gs saunton foil 9'8 for sale in the classifieds
Jory

Postby Werwulf1919 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 am

http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby Welsh Kook » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Hey fella youve already got more noseriders than bing himslef ;) What about the cc slider its going on the slab soon (bro deal for you off course) as alby has done me a beaut with the new 10 footer. Other than that did you try tommys nr2 the other day, I thought it was a beaut. Lovely pinched rails and even seemed nice off the tail.
Welsh Kook

Postby rodent » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Should also consider a broad design ISIS AB3 makes em over here for zeph

FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm

^^ Hey Kook - now that is a tempting offer, just like that time you coaxed me into the back of the van with an offer of a scented wax rubbing... :lol: Funny enough the NR2 has triggered the thought - had a couple of goes of Tommy's and I can't believe how stable and locked that feels in crap gutless conditions - makes it feel like cheating. Obviously got a couple of other logs for more fluid conditions - so looking for something that paddles into those ankle tappers well and provides a V stable noseride. BTW - if we ride anything like last Sat again - then it's Paipo/handplane time that was just ridiculous! gutted i missed sunday ;(

Will mull it over - hopefully hook up for a slide on the Weekend? Not sure If i'm around on Sat yet or not - maybe off to the film festy if you're interested? Lots of things to juggle tho.

Rodent - definitely something I'd consider - Think the Riddler is too extreme, but the Isis always seems nicely blended. There's a 422 in the for sale section I've enquired about - so how to these baby's ride in comparison to a standard noserider? I've heard both good an bad about the shape in general but very curious to try one. Some say they're good for the small stuff - some say medium to large

Werwulf - They've definitely been in the mulling machine, but haven't had one through my hands - The Mode captures the feel more than the Vulcan for this purpose, but both nice vehicles.

Jory - what you say is true there chap - I picked up my Jai Lee as a beater, and it's what I've ridden 80% of the year - a fun board, and no slouch for a longboard either - feels way lighter in the water than it should, which I love - and once on the front third it's super fun, positive... I've even had the bugger out in Double overhead (so I was told - I don't know, I didn't look behind as I was running for the shoulder - got munched - ah well, it can't do it all ;) - I have to be honest and question whether I should give up the board.... but while I think...

I'm 6'1 and about 11.5 stone - probably 12 or so once the autumn/winter takes it's toll, and I like a heavy board, but feels light in the water. I do feel the NR2 to be more stable on the nose, but it is a tad wider. I'm really interested in how the Andreni's fare as noseriders - Marc is defo one of my favourite shapers, and most of his boards are sublime. As he started out with Owl and brought it all back, just wondered how his modern versions of those shapes work against others out there? Also Jim the Genius produces works of art, and the SWT is a wave magnet for sure - but how does that compare when up front? Ideally I'm looking for a noserider that will carry speed on the front and also go through sections well - the NR2 carries through sections well and the Jai Lee to carries speed from the front well. Have you managed a go on one of Robs Ozzies?

At the end of the day this is all splitting hairs I know- they're all fantastic boards and all suiot the purpose well. I guess I'm looking for that noserider I just don't ever want to replace - maybe i already have it, but it's nice to ponder these things
mister-griffster

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I'd have to agree with the isis recommendation - my 9'er is amazing - goes without saying it's a great noserider but it does it all - handles big and lumpy stuff, small gutless mush as well as flying in the good stuff - a real surprise just what a great all round board it is - I'm not normally a fan of concave but this isn't one of those slow concaved boards - it flies - oh and it's very pretty - it's only been my daily driver for 3 weeks / 10 surfs but hasn't let me down yet - highly recommended...
mrkmrk2842

Postby Jory » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am

i'd pm evil j guano, he's a similar size to you and has a swt and has had a few other logs himself for some first hand info. I know he LOVES the swt up front and thinks it's better than the nuuhiwa.
Jory

Postby Evil J Guano » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Here I am!

Here's my 2p's worth, for what it's worth.

Nuuhiwa 9' 6'': I've sold this now regrettably, nothing wrong with it, had some great times on it once I'd swapped out the fin for something with a little less volume. Just cut down my quiver drastically to four boards.It was great on a clean wave and dragged you up front with it's supernatural powers… made me look way better than I am, not too hard though admittedly. Too much overlap with the SWT to keep in the end. Lovely board and an out and out Noserider, not great in the mush, tended to get a bit bogged down so maybe not the best UK board, oh and that mahoosive concave is a great air brake in off shores…

Andreini Owl 9' 6'': Amazing board, always loved it since I saw it, just looks 'right', thought it might be a wee bit small for me, but is the most lively log I have, really 'loosed up my goose'. Not the best on the nose for me, but makes up for that with all round carving ability, paddles into anything easily, great at getting round sections, cuts back effortlessly, pretty much my goto board now. Mind you conditions have been less than stellar recently, but the Owl seems to excel in poop. Build quality is sublime…

Phillips SWT 9' 10'': Another amazing board, need to get back on it to get some perspective compared to the Owl which I have been riding since I got it. I'd get another SWT in an instant, in my books it's the perfect all rounder, nose rides way better than me, turns way better than the Nuuhiwa with no compromise as far as my limited abilities can see. It's a big board though, maybe it's only downside if it had one. I think you would need to speak to Jim/Andrew to get one matched for your size. Mines 24.5'' wide and pretty heavy, but seems to work great proportionately for me, 6' 2'' 90kg or so…
Drags you up to the nose and easily trims/turns from there, faster than the Nuuhiwa so makes more sections, just great. Build quality is superb/sublime/real purdy…

Grif you're most welcome to have a blast on any if you are ever down this way…

I know Adam has some SWT's coming or maybe they are here?

Did you have an Elevator, would like to try one for comparisons sake one day…

I'll get them out one day and do a comparison/quiver shot…

Always hankered after an IsIs also, always seemed a solid concept and amazingly built board…
Evil J Guano

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks Gents - some great feedback there, just what I'm looking for. Funny enough, everything you just said about the Nuuhiwa was exactly what was holding me back - that and , erm, funds!!

The Owl that you have - is that the Noserider version? Is yours a straight up noserider or spoon / stepdeck? Again, Iv'e always felt the Owl to be more an all-rounder than a straight up noserider, but Mr A makes a dream board - just wonder if one of these would be too close to the Elevator perhaps?

The SWT is definitely in the mold I'm looking for - as is the Isis - again, the width tends to put me off slightly as I'm but a wee slip of a thing ;) - However, does give that added platform - and will do the job in 2ft and under, which is essentially what I'm looking for.

The battle for me is I'd love an Andrenini but kinda feel it may be better suited as an all round board - and I have an SOS coming which will is just job for that. Also, would it be too similar to the Elevator? If so then perhaps and Elevator / Owl exchange program may be on the cards.

Still got the Elevator Evil one - definitely a sublime board - not the best paddler in the world as you can imagine, but as far as a ride goes, very easy and smooth to turn and the ride is lovely, It's a precision instrument rather than a blunt tool. But when you feel the pocket pull the tail and you walk at the right time, you can get forward and zip up the face. Definitely prefers a steeper wave than a slacker one - don't think I'd go for one if I were riding Saunton for instance, think the Levitator will do a better job there. At times you do have to be careful not to overcook the turns, especially in an offshore, just back off a fraction and let the combined force of wind / wave do it's business. It's a great board to be fair, highly recommended and I'll make sure it's in the van when I'm in your area - more than welcome to take it for a spin ;)

Some food for thought this weekend - thanks chaps ;))
mister-griffster

Postby AB3 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:28 pm

If you are around the Staunton area pop in to the boardbarn they have an Isis and my summat model in there which would both fit the bill
Don't be worried about the width on either it give a nice stable platform
The Isis is the easiest noserider I have ever ridden and still turns with the pulled tail!
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 am

I know jackshit about noseriders, buy I do know AB3's boards stood out and attracted a lot of attention at the Fish Fry t'other day... I don't know what model it was, but that white tinted log was just beautiful (as was mrkmrk's) 8)
Archy_is_God

Postby Evil J Guano » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 am

The Andreini is a Poor Boy Pintail, quite 'piggy'… a beut!
Evil J Guano

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Sup griff!
If you are thinking of selling your jai lee next year sometime, I'd be very interested :) (as you know from my post)
Another great thread.
Laurie_4surfing

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I took a look at your old Nuuhiwa on the weekend - hella concave in that bad boy, could bathe a small child in it ;) Lovely board tho, great on it's day I should imagine.

Thanks for the tip AB3 - I asked a mate to check out the ones in Boardbarn yesterday - will have to catch up for feedback, but I'l Pm you seeing as you'd like to get more boards into the UK and for recommendations.

As for the Jai Lee Laurie, will give you a heads up should I look to sell. Had a lovely 5/10 on it on Saturday, which still makes me think why I would want to sell it - always seem to have a lot of fun on that board

Cheers chaps - still looking for recommendations, however leftfield - also looking for someone who can provide some detailed info on one of Andrenini's dedicated Noseriders as opposed to one of his Sams/pigs etc - would love to know how they compare to other boards in their class.
mister-griffster

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm

mister-griffster wrote:Cheers chaps - still looking for recommendations, however leftfield .

http://www.surfysurfy.net/2011/10/retur ... -gwat.html :P
Archy_is_God

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 pm

That DOES look like fun - but after a strictly 10 over for this one - no cheaters, some fives, lots of tens ;)
mister-griffster

Postby Ferral » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Do you fancy doing a swap for something? I've got a classic malibu california classic, while I think we've discussed before about it being a point style board, I do find it works fine in crumbly south wales beach breaks and you can nose ride forever, scooting through white water sections at the bottom of the wave on the nose no problems.

I feel like having a more whippy / piggy log as I normally just surf the log at o.rivermouth
Ferral

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 pm

It's not something that's been on my radar in truth, but may be willing to consider. I'll pm you with details

Anyone have any experience with a Dewey Weber Stylist or the Jacobs line - esp the the Mike Purpus - two boards that always dance around the peripheries, doing the two step shuffle while waiting for a dashing beau to make them centre stage...
mister-griffster

Postby poodleparlourpam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

After deliberating for a far too long period at the beginning of the year i bought myself a bing NR2, it was great on a perfect waist high day with a bit more punch but on the smaller, ankle slappy days you refer to, i found it rather on the slow and sluggish side. i agree though, a very stable platform, just not really my cup of tea i guess. dont get me wrong.... i have alot of fun of fun on small waves...but i just didnt on that....however she was darn preeety :lol:
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm

That's my quandry right there Pam - The super trad style noserider is a great board on it's day, but after running a straw poll, i reckon the surf has given us diminishing returns over the past 2 years. Sure there's been great sessions along the way, but I've mainly had to surf less than perfect, cruddy gutless waves. On that 3ft clean, lined up day then they're great but can be tricky operators in certain conditions.

I'm not looking for a board to do it all, I have a special one coming. I'm looking for something that's super stable and planted on the tip, that carries speed and blasts through sections. I'm also looking away from the 'piggie' stable as I have a couple of lovely pocket noseriders. What I'm after is a 'percentages' kind of board- that will catch a ton of waves, even in gutless crap an make you giggle like a schoolgirl in getting outrageous noserides.

At the moment I am swaying towards an Isis, but I have heard rumours that they're not so great in the marginal stuff (what is!) - but I've also heard they work great. So going to have to suck it an see. When I close my eyes I see an Andreini Noserider - one of the out and out versions, but I can't find anyone who has ridden one, esp in our crappy conditions. I have no doubt that it works beautifully in the clean stuff but will it do what I want? Once the surf gets organised I'll have a few go to boards. What I'm looking for is to maximise giggles and shits in sectiony gutless surf
mister-griffster

Postby poodleparlourpam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:00 am

mister-griffster wrote: What I'm looking for is to maximise giggles and shits in sectiony gutless surf

IMHO and limited experience, i find noseriders do the opposite in that kind of surf! often too slow to make it past the crumbles, holding on instead of shooting through, and a bit boggy on the turns. like you say great on the perfect days. but then i havnt ridden tons of noseriders, so maybe im being unfair!?! if some one came to me and said i want a board to 'maximise shits and giggles in sectiony gutless surf'.....i guess wouldn't suggest an out and out noserider?....but of course its all personal preference, and depends on how you like to ride your waves. .......i'd probably suggest a big fat mini simmons :lol: but they too suffer when it gets really really naff!

Out of interest, how do you find your pigs in that kind of stuff....are they full on piggies, relaxed piggies?
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 pm

TBH the piggies are great- there's a LOT of BS that pigs don't work in mush. I find they're the opposite. I've got one fully trad pig - the pignar, which is smooth and trad as it gets - it suffers a bit with the D-fin, but the pocket noserides are unreal - it has to be stuffed in the pocket to work but grand. I've sold my Royal PMP to make way for a Sam - and that was one of the liveliest longboards ever. Super easy to turn so ideal for avoiding sections and carried some great speed when on the flat rocker upfront. Strictly a pocket noserider but the loosest goose I've ever ridden. I will be seeing how the Sam works out but will probably go for another piggie to compliment the Sam further down the line.

The Sam will be the daily driver / the do it all merchant - I have no doubt about that. The noserider is just something to misbehave on. I woud agree tho Pam, that when the surf gets gutless a trad noserider can bog like hell, and i hate that feeling - hence the Isis capturing the imagination - the nose being super stable, the tail being pulled with a fairly relaxed tail lift should make it a little livelier in the turn. That's the theory... :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby poodleparlourpam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:53 pm

mister-griffster wrote:TBH the piggies are great- there's a LOT of BS that pigs don't work in mush. I find they're the opposite.

thats interesting Griff... i havnt tried an out and out pig, but i find Danni's orange semi pig is fantastic fun in tiny, mushy or weak conditions, it steams straight through crumbly sections, but like you say the fact they allow you to turn on dime means you can make the most of what's there, without all that nasty bogging !...not a good feeling :lol: with less in the nasal region i'd say there is less chance of digging or catching a rail up front too.

id love to see a pic or two of your sam when you finally get it :-)
poodleparlourpam

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 pm

I think Danni's semi-pig is probs the best of all worlds. The PMP was a bit too wiggly to noseride well in the most marginal waves. With a pretty rounded bottom and big tail lift it was great on the turning side of things, but your footwork has to be fast - a kind of get to the tip for a few seconds and back-pedal in junky stuff. Plus, a heavy board so had to work hard to catch the tiddlers. Don't get me wrong, 2ft+ was an ace board and it never bogged, even in the tiny stuff. Never caught a rail either.

As for the Sam, I'll be posting my findings - have a nice quiver lined up that all feed into each other so will keep you posted on the results. Have to be careful, i'm like an excited puppy and keep widdling on the carpet...
mister-griffster

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design