Surfing Norway

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Surfing Norway

Postby aendu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi there,

I'll be visiting Norway for half a year starting January 2013. I realy want to go surfing there hopefully a lot!
Since i'm rather a surf-beginner i have a couple of questions regarding wetsuits and boards... It be realy dope if some of you experienced guys could help me out!

Some info about me: I'm 171cm (5'7'') tall and weigh 70kg (155 lbs). I wakesurf since about three years and have been surfing in the ocean roughly 3 weeks so far. Due to my experience from wakesurfing, standing on the board and keeping the balance works quite good for me. I guess regarding that aspect i'd be good with something like a 6'2'' - 6'8'' fish. What i realy need to work on though is paddling and catching the wave at the right moment... So far i've been surfing 7'0''-7'2'' minimals which worked quite good for me the last two weeks i was in Indonesia. I do a lot of sports and specifically go swimming to for some paddeltraining.
I don't realy want to buy myself a minimal because i think i'll grow out of it fast. On the other hand, since i'm from Switzerland and the swell of places like France, Portugal, Fuerteventura and in this case Norway, can be quite big but often isn't mindblowing, maybe getting ahold of a minimal wouldn't be such a bad idea afterall in my specific case... Or a funboard, hybrid, big fish? I'd be happy to hear a couple of your thougts regarding this!? I guess another importent aspect is that i'll be in Norway and don't want to fool around lying in the water all the time. I'd like to spend as much time as possible out of it.
Ideal would be a board which i have fun with now and in several years and is surfable on smaller waves... Once i get more experienced i'll get myself a second board anyway... Under point 2. i've listed some boards that i've been looking at... i know that the lenght of a board isn't the only relevant point. It's about the rail, the thickness, boyancy and a bit more of this compensates a bit less of that... I know there's no absolute answer to my question... but if you guys could help me out with some input that would realy help me out! and if you have any recomendations regarding a board please postit!

-1. Regarding the wetsuit: The water in Norway'll be frikin cold. What kind of wetsuit do i want to get myself 3, 4, 5 or 6mm? Do i want a wetsuit with the hood attached or wetsuit and hood seperate? How thick do i want my gloves/boots to be? Would you recommend split toes/fingers or not?

-2. Regarding the board:
- http://www.lostsurfboards.net/surfboards/the-blunt/ --> Which stock dimension?
- http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... otatonator --> Which stock dimension?
- http://www.buster-surfboards.com/oscomm ... p-260.html
- http://www.fjordsurfboards.com/our-shapes-surfboards/ --> One of these? From Norway for Norway? :wink:
- http://www.cisurfboards.com/surfboards/ ... b-machado/ --> Which stock dimension?

One last question: A board shorter than 6'0'' would be way to short for me or to surf smallish waves. even if it's very broad and has a tremendous boyancy. Is that right?
Because in a local place thy told me i could do with this one: http://www.forceline.ch/Force_Line_Surf ... rds.html#8

I realy appreciate if anyone takes his time to read through this and helps me out with some advice!!! I know it's alot of confused beginner talk... :)

Regards, andy.
aendu

Re: Surfing Norway

Postby aendu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:00 pm

OK so i allready answered a couple of questions on my own...

Wetsuit'll be 6mm xcel.

Regarding the board i narrowed down my choice to:

- http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... otatonator --> 6'8''

or

- http://www.fatumsurfboards.com/boards/h ... super-six/ --> 7'0''

Please let me know if this choice makes any sense and for which one you'd go!

I do have one last question though:

What's the main difference between buying a funboard for my size or a voluminous shortboard for a big guy?

Any help's highly appreciated!!!

Tx, andy.
aendu

Postby roberdy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Andy, I moved your thread over here cause you'll get better feedback in this forum on your questions
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I think the Firewire or the Fatum would be good bets and worth a try, maybe a 6'8 in the Fatum as it looks like a beefy board.

Another option is a McCoy Nugget, maybe a 6'8". Expensive new and rare second hand, but they will keep their value and will carry you further into your learning experience. Once you start to take on more serious waves, they will be there with you.

With regards to your last question, it is difficult to scale up something like a performance shortboard and still get the same results. Far better to ride a design that is designed to have float as an integral part of the design (if you need the float). Fish are optimum between 5ft and 6ft. Over 6ft, they become something else unless they are tweaked correctly. There is a lot of straight rail line on a 6'6" fish, and it will not be easy to ride compared to curvier boards.

Great place to learn to surf :-)
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, you may start getting a little warm in that 6mm by summer time!
Archy_is_God

Postby jp246 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Where abouts are you considering living in Norway? Travelling to the coast is not always a quick affair, the speed limits can be pretty tame and speeding fines fairly brutal.
jp246

Postby norwegian_surfer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:17 am

If your going to live and surf in norway as a beginner youll need a decent 6mm wetsuit, 7mm boots and gloves. I would also consider a 7.6 board since most of the beginner waves are mellowish. Be aware that it usually goes semi flat from may-sept. You also need a car, lots of coffee and be aware that certain areas are banned from surfing including but not limited to areas around stavanger and lista, as well as saltstein.

Have fun!
norwegian_surfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:20 am

Banned? Really? Why?
Archy_is_God

Postby norwegian_surfer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am

It was a last minute ammendment to a major bird protection area act, which had been processed for more than 10 years before finally being put into force December 2004. This is an RAMSAR-area. The surfers had no problems understanding the importance of this area for the over-wintering and migrating birds, but being an activity of minimal disturbance and covering a very small area it was, and still is, impossible to see the rationale behind it. Violating the ban, you risk having to pay a fine of an amount equivallent of GBP 800,- or a couple of weeks behind bars and denied access/visa to many countries around the world, incl. USA. The Norwegian Surfing Association has complained to all the regulatory bodies involved, based on support from biological behaviourologists and politicians. Still, the surfers got refusal from all government institution. If anyone out there knows about areas where surfing is allowed within bird protection areas (e.g. RAMSAR areas) give me a shout
norwegian_surfer

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design